Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Nicely Rounded '52 Mantle

There sure are a bunch of bids on a card that doesn't look like the real deal to me. What do you guys think? It looks like scissors were taken to the corners of this card to make it look old. Not graded is another red flag. Maybe Topps is the high bidder and will give it away in their contest.

Rounded Corners '52 Mantle

Comments

• jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    It says in the description that they're selling it as a reprint.
  • I saw that Jeff, but are people bidding it up that high thinking it's authentic? I don't get it.
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Could be potential scammers buying the next bogus Mantle, or it could be people trying to get what could be a real Mantle for a reprint price. I'm no Mantle expert, but besides the corner trimming, it kinda looks authentic. How much would it be worth in a PSA 1 or AUTH slab?
  • Take a look at his negatives:

Toolhaus

Collecting all things Pittsburgh.

Completed my Clemente Basic Registry (2007 - 2014)!

Positive transactions with oakesy25,jasoneggert,swartz1,MBMiller25,gregm13,kid4hof03,HoopGuru33,Reese3333,BPorter26,Davemri
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

Terrible toolhaus.

If the card was real, it would be in a PSA slab.

Seller also omitted the "original or reprint" tab in Item Specifics.

His "reprint" disclaimer - buried in the description - will not stand
    up to a PayPal claim.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The usual list it as a reprint to satisfy ebay rules so the auction doesn't get pulled, then cleverly word the auction so that the card seems real, along with the shill bids using herd mentality to try to suck in one fish to bid on it.

This is the newest type of scam on ebay, and it is a scam in my opinion.
  • TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    They are trying to recoup some of the $1700 that they spent on it in the early 90s, don't you guys understand that? Scam other people to make up for being scammed themselves.

(Edited to clarify this is a tongue in cheek comment)
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    I don't think it looks real....something about the colors looks fishy....
  • Also, the overall wear on the card really doesnt look like a 52 topps. The corners if that rounded would probably be at least a little frayed

<< <i>They are trying to recoup some of the $1700 that they spent on it in the early 90s, don't you guys understand that? Scam other people to make up for being scammed themselves.

(Edited to clarify this is a tongue in cheek comment) >>

yea, i wonder if the seller was hooked up to a lie detector machine and asked if this statement about the $1700 was true, and he answered "Yes", if the polygraph needle would start rapidly zigzagging? LOL
  • Felicia posted a link to the Fake Mantle Guide awhile back.

Here's an excert for the card you have linked:
    This particular fake is a scammers delight on eBay. Appearing identical to a real 1952 Mantle on both the front and back, these fakes are nothing more than color copies of an authentic card onto cardstock. They are very difficult to identify by the picture except for one thing, they all look the same. These copies all have a scuffed appearance on the front, and the thing that looks like a crease running though Mantle's hat in an upside-down V shape is printed right onto the card. Now that you've seen this one, picking out others shouldn't be difficult.

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Reljac ... good memory and GREAT post! NO DOUBT that is the same garbage!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good FB rating - alot of sales - why they would get involved with something like this makes no sense.
    Mike
  • Whats even more odd is why someone would pay that amount of money for a worthless reprint? Looks real but of course it is a fake. If it wasnt it would be in a graded holder. an authentic 52 mantle is worth what? 3-$4000?
    Here's a note I sent to the seller:

<< <i>you've got a good FB rating - you know as well as I, that if it could get into a legitimate TPG holder, it would - if you're selling it as a reprint - why not state it in the title? >>

The response:

<< <i>DID YOU WANT TO BID ON THIS REPRINT 1952 TOPPS MICKEY MANTLE CARD? NO DECEPION HERE "REPRINT" WE JUST PAID $1000.00 FOR A REPRINT OF A MONET PAINTING???? >>

My response:

<< <i>No I don't. Nice reply. I wouldn't bid on anything you had after that response! >>

I expected better from someone that kind of FB %. IMO - if the seller had put "reprint" in the title - most would automatically know what it is and move one - if not? Then, I've been living under a rock.

I can honestly say I wouldn't give this seller another minute of my time.
    Mike
  • JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    What a jerk. He knows the item is fake (probably got scammed) and is now trying to pass it on to someone else.

More people need to destroy reprints, forgeries etc. so that they do not circulate anymore.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Freddy DeBella, owner of Mr. D's Baseball Cards has been around since I was a teenager (that was over 30 years ago) and he KNOWS the difference between a reprint and the real deal. The listing, while noting that they are selling it as a reprint, leads the unsuspecting buyer to believe the card MAY be real. I've never liked Fred and hope he gets what's coming to him (perhaps a local buyer that visits the shop when they realize they were idiots for bidding), but anyone bidding on this card should be embarrassed for being so gullible or stupid or both!
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    ....or greedy.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • This fake is going to hit $1000 before it's all said and done.
  • JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    I emailed him and he responded "NOT MISLEADING - WE ARE SELLING AS A REPRINT - JUST PAID OVER $1000 FOR A REPRINT PAINTING"

What a joke.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
    In the older days of ebay, I guess it was around 8 years ago, there was a very cleverly worded fake 1952 partial Topps set auction in Mint Condition being advertised as genuine - I guess around 300 cards, and it really, really ticked me off because I knew it was obviously a reprint set - I even emailed this con artist seller and his answer basically was, "the person who sold it to me told me the set was the "Real McCoy" (his exact words)". Well it went for around $1,500.00 so it didn't necessarily greatly fool anybody except of course for one naive buyer, I email the buyer and tell him that the set was definitely a fake...and got no response from the buyer, and that was it for me...I forgot all about it.

Around 3 weeks later, the buyer emails me and asks what can he do, he paid the seller with a money order, received the set, took it to some dealers who told him it was fake. I told him, ya should have listened to my email, because it's too late now - ya got conned out of 1500 bucks. You can lead a horse to water........
    Winning bid: US $1,225.00

Amazing.
    Mike
  • Sold for $1,225 . Someone just learned a hard lesson. Thanks to everyone who responded, I learned a lot about fake Mantles.

Sorry Mike, I didn't see you posted ahead of me. I was delayed because I was explaining to my wife why this Mantle was a fake. She asked, "did the guy buy it because it was real or a reprint when it said reprint in the discription?" I said the person who bought it was dumb thinking it was real.................And that's my quality conversation of the night with my wife about cards.

<< <i>Sold for $1,225 . Someone just learned a hard lesson. Thanks to everyone who responded, I learned a lot about fake Mantles.

Sorry Mike, I didn't see you posted ahead of me. I was delayed because I was explaining to my wife why this Mantle was a fake. She asked, "did the guy buy it because it was real or a reprint when it said reprint in the discription?" I said the person who bought it was dumb thinking it was real.................And that's my quality conversation of the night with my wife about cards. >>

The seller emailed me and asked "the hell I thought I was telling him how to list his stuff?" or words like that.

I didn't want to roll in the mud with the guy - so I just told him it was my opinion - that's all.

My honest take? THE GUY IS A CROOK!
    Mike
  • Looks like a few other sellers are following the "listing as a reprint" but "paid XXXX for it" trick recently:

Seller oklrb - paid 1450 for this Mantle

Seller jonathan0220

Seller jonathan0220 has more than 1

Seller bigdoggy6969 - doesnt say reprint got from great uncle

Positive transactions with oakesy25,jasoneggert,swartz1,MBMiller25,gregm13,kid4hof03,HoopGuru33,Reese3333,BPorter26,Davemri

• << <i>Looks like a few other sellers are following the "listing as a reprint" but "paid XXXX for it" trick recently:

Seller jonathan0220

Seller bigdoggy6969 - doesnt say reprint got from great uncle >>

bigdoddy6969--

Upper right corner on front and back is the same....

Back of "Grandpa's" he sold

Back of one he bought listed as reprint on ebay

"Grandpa's" Front

Front of one he bought listed as reprint on ebay

imageimageimage

• << <i>

<< <i>Looks like a few other sellers are following the "listing as a reprint" but "paid XXXX for it" trick recently:

Seller jonathan0220

Seller bigdoggy6969 - doesnt say reprint got from great uncle >>

bigdoddy6969--

Upper right corner on front and back is the same....

Back of "Grandpa's" he sold

Back of one he bought listed as reprint on ebay

"Grandpa's" Front

Front of one he bought listed as reprint on ebay

image >>

Its not even a good fake lol. unbelievable

Once these people find out the card is fake, all they have to do is file a snad claim and they should get their money back.
  • onebamafanonebamafan Posts: 1,318 ✭✭
    Serious shillage going on there.............................who in their right mind would pay over 1k for a reprint Mantle. image

• << <i>Serious shillage going on there.............................who in their right mind would pay over 1k for a reprint Mantle. image >>

After seeing all of these reprint mantle's, i'm starting to think even reprints are worth alot of money lol.
  • I emailed the buyer of the bigdoddy fake.
    imageimageimage
  • BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Serious shillage going on there.............................who in their right mind would pay over 1k for a reprint Mantle. image >>

After seeing all of these reprint mantle's, i'm starting to think even reprints are worth alot of money lol. >>

Funny as I'm not seeing any reprints. Seeing plenty of counterfeits though.
    Many of these 'buyers' (not all) are just as greedy as the sellers They are trying to get something for nothing..

Some are cons themselves who may flip it as real.

Like Storm mentioned earlier this seller should have used the 'reprint' in the item specifics area.

He is nothing but scum for burying the 'reprint' in the description.

Hopefully he will come here so he can see how we feel about such scum.

Steve

Good for you.
    Jeff makes a good point.

One other point, didn't Ebay at one time demand that a few cards be authenticated before they would allow them to be listed?

Whatever happened to that policy?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • . >>

Funny as I'm not seeing any reprints. Seeing plenty of counterfeits though. >>

reprint would suggest it has some kind of merrit, and clearly written on the reverse,, this card is just out right forged,, imho,, bj
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • I guess the only real question is where can I get me a cheap batch of these Mantles? image

"...Once these people find out the card is fake, all they have to do is file a snad claim and they should get their money back...."

////////////////////////////

In a possibly veiled attempt to circumvent EBAY's paper-payment policy,
    the seller lists his mailing/street addy in the payment section.

A novice buyer could send a check. An offer of a discount for a money-order
    or check is routine in similar scams.

I expect SCAMS to increase as more oldtime sellers go into last-period-conduct
    mode, due to coming EBAY changes and the worsening economy.

• The questions for the bigdoggy6969 Mantle were pretty funny:

I see you bought a reprint...

• bbcemporiumbbcemporium Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The questions for the bigdoggy6969 Mantle were pretty funny:

I see you bought a reprint... >>

Apparently the seller has something against punctuation
    Registry Sets

"Common sense is the best distributed commodity in the world, for every man is convinced that he is well supplied with it"

• << <i>

<< <i>The questions for the bigdoggy6969 Mantle were pretty funny:

I see you bought a reprint... >>

Apparently the seller has something against punctuation >>

Now that is one long sentence lol.

• << <i>Many of these 'buyers' (not all) are just as greedy as the sellers They are trying to get something for nothing..

Some are cons themselves who may flip it as real.

Like Storm mentioned earlier this seller should have used the 'reprint' in the item specifics area.

He is nothing but scum for burying the 'reprint' in the description.

Unless the seller is lying about the 1700 dollars, i dont see it as a scam. In his description it CLEARLY STATES that he is selling as a reprint. If people dont take the time to look at it, its their own fault. The seller is not at fault here.

Steve >>

I think that's the big point made:

Some may be victims, some are not since it takes a little larceny in ones heart to be scammed.

My dad used to say - it's a lot harder to cheat an honest man.
    Mike
  • bigdoddy reprint buyer responded to my email and thanked me. Sadly, the seller will probally just 2nd chance it once he gets it back or make a new acct.

imageimageimage

<< <i>bigdoddy reprint buyer responded to my email and thanked me. Sadly, the seller will probally just 2nd chance it once he gets it back or make a new acct. >>

Ahhh...

More good hobby news.
    Mike

<< <i>One other point, didn't Ebay at one time demand that a few cards be authenticated before they would allow them to be listed?

Whatever happened to that policy?

Steve >>

That policy as far as I know still exists but if the monkeys that read the reports don't want to follow their own policies doesn't matter how many times an individual reports any given auction even when providing concrete proof nothing will happen as is the case in this auction.

• << <i>

<< <i>bigdoddy reprint buyer responded to my email and thanked me. Sadly, the seller will probally just 2nd chance it once he gets it back or make a new acct. >>

Ahhh...

More good hobby news. >>

Sad but true.
    imageimageimage

"...it CLEARLY STATES that he is selling as a reprint. If people dont take the time to look at it, its their own fault. The seller is not at fault here...."

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

EBAY/PayPal view "incorrect/incomplete" titles or Item Specifics
    as "deceptive."

The SELLER used deceptive practices to SCAM somebody.

<< <i>Unless the seller is lying about the 1700 dollars, i dont see it as a scam. In his description it CLEARLY STATES that he is selling as a reprint. If people dont take the time to look at it, its their own fault. The seller is not at fault here >>

Hey Blacklabel learn to quote properly, you attributed the above sentence to me when I NEVER said any such thing.

I assume that was your reply?

Steve
    Good for you.
    There was a time that as a reprint was considered an authenticity disclaimer and not allowed (this was from a category manager that is long gone).

Many, many auctions were removed for having that line in when that particular category manager was on there. But as I said he is long gone so I have no idea if the powers that be at eBay still consider that an authenticity disclaimer.

• Nice job contacting the buyer - hope he gets his money back.

He's been going on a sport card (and glass blowing material) buying spree lately...

whitelitng309

• This points to the fundamental problem killing the BBC hobby: that it's impossible (short of molesting the cardboard) to determine authenticity on a good fake.