Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I'm back...

It's funny how life changes. In my situation...not funny, but changing regardless so. My son (3 on friday) was diagnosed with autism on Dec 22. We are still not accepting it, but we are dealing with it. trying to understand and doing anything necessary to help him.

I feel like I've fallen out of the coin world...understandably so because my son will always come first, but I will not let go of what I've started. I've dropped my print prices and have also FINALLY ,to you who have asking, gotten t-shirts and such to my website. See "pricing" or "portfolio" for shop inquiries.

Much love and respect to you all
K. A. Godinho

coin paintings
-May the road rise up to meet you and the wind be at your back-

My Coin Painting Website

Comments

• Options

<< <i>It's funny how life changes. In my situation...not funny, but changing regardless so. My son (3 on friday) was diagnosed with autism on Dec 22. We are still not accepting it, but we are dealing with it. trying to understand and doing anything necessary to help him.

I feel like I've fallen out of the coin world...understandably so because my son will always come first, but I will not let go of what I've started. I've dropped my print prices and have also FINALLY ,to you who have asking, gotten t-shirts and such to my website. See "pricing" or "portfolio" for shop inquiries.

Much love and respect to you all
    K. A. Godinho

coin paintings >>

Sorry to hear that, a good friend of our family has two boys born with autism and we have a charity every time around Christmas for them with lots of christmas lights, ferris wheel etc .
  • Options
    Im very sorry to hear about that, but I know regardless he will have one hell of a good life with you. Just remember smiles and hugs go along way.image

Its damn glad to have ya back in the hobby too! And amazing artwork!
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will have a lot on your plate but your family will shine through.

My daughter teaches autistic children in NY and loves her job and the kids.

Best wishes to your family and your son and love and respect back at you.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    The late biologist Stephen J Gould's autistic son turned out to be an uncanny mathematical genius. Along those lines, it's possible that in some ways you will ultimately deserve congratulations rather than expressions of regret. You might wish to read about Gould's son and his genius in the book Questioning the Millenium. An excerpt from the book is available on-line at:

http://speakingoffaith.publicradio.org/programs/beingautistic/gould_fiveweeks.shtml
  • Options
    As M.J. said, "Best wishes to your family and your son...."

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome back and I wish you and your son the best. What transpires in his life will be the result of those who love and care for him. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭✭
    Hello-

My son, Michael, is 10 1/2 and is non-verbal autistic. I am sending you a PM.

Larry L.

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone!

It's a tough pill to swallow, but my son and I will overcome this. He's a beautiful kid and I love him dearly. We've gone through the toughest part with the diagnosis and the pile of tests that my boy has had to endure. Good news!!!....no signs of illness! We are currently going through the outrageous process of getting some correct schooling for him. Once that is done, I think that I can finally pick up a paint brush again. I can't wait. I need the therapy.

I'm seeing the world through different eyes now and I'm accepting the path that God has chosen for me.

Kind regards to you all,
    Kimberly

My Coin Painting Website
  • Options
    Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    I am sorry to hear that. I would strongly recommend that you visit this site: AutismLink. It has a great deal of information, including state specific information. Its completely free and has so many resources.
    Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Bless you.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Hoping for the best for you and your son. HBO just did a movie on Temple Grandin. Truly amazed and awe struck by her abilities and accomplishments.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

awesome paintings. awesome talent.

were the coins represented some of the coins in your father's collection?

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Welcome back and there are many positives to focus on with your child. A year ago I left the business world, I hope forever to teach again. The most rewarding part of my day is working with special need children in the school system. After a few weeks a seven year old austic child began to verbally communicate with me. He always has a smile on his face and a hug for this old coot. I leave the day feeling six inches taller having spent time with him. Best of luck.
  • Options

<< <i>awesome paintings. awesome talent.

were the coins represented some of the coins in your father's collection? >>

I wish!!!

My Coin Painting Website
  • Options
    NewRoseNewRose Posts: 309 ✭✭
    The art work is simply amazing, eye candy for sure.
    Good luck to you and your family, must be a hard time, and might not seem fair at the moment, but I'm sure it will work out for the best. image

Successful BST transactions with: copperhunter (2010), Tdec1000 (2010), barrytrot (2011), kaz, (2011), Metalsman (2011), jimineez1 (2020), U1chicago (2020)

• Options
    I will give you some advice for when he starts school.. Be as hard as you can during your first I.E.P meeting with
    the school.. That one process alone will determine what they are required to do.. They may tell you it's not that important
    to list every goal and special need but they will be lying to you.. When you first have any issue the first thing they will tell
    you is "it's not in the I.E.P"

You are the only one who is an advocate for your child.. The school is only interested in showing an improvement.

They will low ball your child's goals to achieve this if they think for one minute you aren't educated in the I.E.P process..

• Options
    You guys are fantastic. It's been a rough road and I have a LOT to learn. I understand that this isn't an autism forum, but I just had to add one more "THANK YOU" to you all.

I'm preparing myself for the Whitman's Philly Expo. They've invited me back to the Baltimore Expo in March...can't do it. And the Nashville Expo in May...possible. I'm going to make it to the Philly Expo with some new work if anything. I need goals, they make me sane. I'm thinking gold and copper.

Much respect,
    K. A. Godino

My Coin Painting Website
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424

<< <i>You are the only one who is an advocate for your child.. The school is only interested in showing an improvement.

They will low ball your child's goals to achieve this if they think for one minute you aren't educated in the I.E.P process.. >>

While I agree that you want to make sure the IEP is correct, it also depends largely on your school district. My mom and sister both teach children with autism and I can promise you the child comes first every time in the local schools. However, we are in a district that is known for it's work with children with special needs.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome back! Best wishes to you and your family, and thanks again for sharing your unique artwork.
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    i mirror the sentiments of the other members and wish for the best with your son

>> I'm thinking gold and copper>>

Stella and Fugio

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>You are the only one who is an advocate for your child.. The school is only interested in showing an improvement.

They will low ball your child's goals to achieve this if they think for one minute you aren't educated in the I.E.P process.. >>

While I agree that you want to make sure the IEP is correct, it also depends largely on your school district. My mom and sister both teach children with autism and I can promise you the child comes first every time in the local schools. However, we are in a district that is known for it's work with children with special needs. >>

Please tell me that they teach in northern California. I'm on a mission for my boy. My ears are perked and I'm willing to hear anyone's story, quite honestly.

My Coin Painting Website
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

While I agree that you want to make sure the IEP is correct, it also depends largely on your school district. My mom and sister both teach children with autism and I can promise you the child comes first every time in the local schools. However, we are in a district that is known for it's work with children with special needs. >>

Please tell me that they teach in northern California. I'm on a mission for my boy. My ears are perked and I'm willing to hear anyone's story, quite honestly. >>

We built a house in a very good school district that has an awesome special needs program.. Regardless you need to educate yourself with the I.E.P process.. We thought we knew everything until or local Autism advocate asked to attend one of our I.E.P meetings..

She had them adding everything from when he goes on bathroom breaks to what he eats at lunch and snack times.

We even required the school system to provide an individual Para after they first refused saying they couldn't provide individual service..

Study this like you would a rare coin.. Learn everything you can... IDEA
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Life will change, in many ways for the better. One in one hundred children now have autism. Slowly, the general public is becoming more aware and accepting of autism. Early intervention with private therapy is essential. Our son was diagnosed with autistic spectrum disorder at 2 years, he is now 14. We have met many wonderful people that we never would have otherwise met. As a family, we have become more compassionate for those with special needs. Our oldest daughter may choose a career in special education. We are involved with special need church services, challenger baseball, sibshops. These are all good things. Numismatics will slow down for a while, and your new experiences may very well give you more inspiration in the future.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424

<< <i>

<< <i>

Please tell me that they teach in northern California. I'm on a mission for my boy. My ears are perked and I'm willing to hear anyone's story, quite honestly. >>

Central Ohio, sorry image I'm sure you'll be able to find some great people out there as well, there are more out there than you know. The horror stories make the news and the most noise, but there are just as many, if not more, perfectly trained and willing teachers out there.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file