Home U.S. Coin Forum

Double Date Buffalo Nickel question...

DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
Are these two overdates anything to get excited about or are they just common 'no price premium' machine doubling?

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

Comments

• ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately not. But they're still neat.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are called "double struck " or machine doubled..I remember once I had a 1916 double struck and I really thought I had something. They are cool...image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Those are called "double struck " or machine doubled..I remember once I had a 1916 double struck and I really thought I had something. They are cool...image >>

I don't think double struck is a proper term for what is displayed. Mechanical doubling and machine doubling are more correct I believe.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always interesting, but no real premium. Cheers, RickO
  • IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    Definitely machine doubling. One way you can tell is by the strong machine doubling on the lower left of the
    Indian's braid on each coin. This "shelf" doubling is in the same direction as the extra lines on the dates. When you see
    flat shelf doubling on other areas of the coin, you can usually be fairly certain that it is all machine doubling.
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

....good explanation here image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file