Home Sports Talk

After a disappointing season Bills say goodbye to T.O.

No big surprise.

Comments

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    oh poor TO, what's he 's gonna do? image
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    I doubt it would happen, but I wouldn't mind seeing the Pats take a shot at him for a 1-year deal.
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's now a #2 with below average hands and comes with baggage. Edelman is better than TO at this point. Seriously. No way the Pats need him.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>He's now a #2 with below average hands and comes with baggage. Edelman is better than TO at this point. Seriously. No way the Pats need him. >>

Gotta agree with you on this.

It has been proven time and time again that he cant keep his mouth shut, the guy is a complete mental wreck in my opinion- not to mention he is an old man now.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TO of 3 years ago would be worth the risk, but not anymore. He will find out, if he hasn't already, that teams will overlook the baggage if you can still be a beast on Sundays, but those days are gone for TO..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He's now a #2 with below average hands and comes with baggage. Edelman is better than TO at this point. Seriously. No way the Pats need him. >>

I agree that TO would be a mistake for the PATS, for sure. But Edelman? You'd really rather have Edelman on the field? Wow.

-Michael
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.

• << <i>

I agree that TO would be a mistake for the PATS, for sure. But Edelman? You'd really rather have Edelman on the field? Wow.

-Michael >>

That was my thought,also. TO is still a threat to score a long TD, Edelman is quick, but not really a deep threat.
    I only watched a few Pats games last season, but Edelman has the ability to be just as good as Wes Welker, who he reminds of when he first came up with the Fish..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

• << <i>I only watched a few Pats games last season, but Edelman has the ability to be just as good as Wes Welker, who he reminds of when he first came up with the Fish.. >>

Agree with that, but when was the last time Welker scored a td?
    I sometimes really don't understand the members on this forum. Where's the sympathy? Where's the compassion? Where's the love for this great and humble person who is now suddenly out of a job.

If you have any character and respect for yourselves, you'll immediately email your home team's GM and insist that they sign TO out of the goodness of their hearts. I will not do so, and you might say Stevek, you pathetic, wretched hypocrite, why don't you do the same?...and my retort would be because TO had previously played for the Eagles, and has already blessed the Eagles with his presense - the Eagles have already paid TO millions of dollars and it is time for another team to step up and help out poor unfortunate TO.
  • mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I sometimes really don't understand the members on this forum. Where's the sympathy? Where's the compassion? Where's the love for this great and humble person who is now suddenly out of a job.

If you have any character and respect for yourselves, you'll immediately email your home team's GM and insist that they sign TO out of the goodness of their hearts. I will not do so, and you might say Stevek, you pathetic, wretched hypocrite, why don't you do the same?...and my retort would be because TO had previously played for the Eagles, and has already blessed the Eagles with his presense - the Eagles have already paid TO millions of dollars and it is time for another team to step up and help out poor unfortunate TO. >>

Maybe the Nets can sign him to play power forward for the rest of this season.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.

<< <i>

<< <i>I only watched a few Pats games last season, but Edelman has the ability to be just as good as Wes Welker, who he reminds of when he first came up with the Fish.. >>

Agree with that, but when was the last time Welker scored a td? >>

Welkers job is to move the chains and keep drives going which is exactly what he did. Sure its nice to get some TD's but most of his catches are across the middle or near the first down marker on the sidelines and are key receptions.

Im not sold on Edelman as far as him being able to fill Welkers shoes just yet but I would much rather have him than TO, I mean there is something to be said about a young guy who is "HUNGRY" and will put forth his best effort and be an asset on and off the field.

TO ( like Moss ) could have been one of the best ever at WR had he just concentrated on being the best player he could be without the foolish sideshows.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>I only watched a few Pats games last season, but Edelman has the ability to be just as good as Wes Welker, who he reminds of when he first came up with the Fish.. >>

Welkers job is to move the chains and keep drives going which is exactly what he did. Sure its nice to get some TD's but most of his catches are across the middle or near the first down marker on the sidelines and are key receptions.

Im not sold on Edelman as far as him being able to fill Welkers shoes just yet but I would much rather have him than TO, I mean there is something to be said about a young guy who is "HUNGRY" and will put forth his best effort and be an asset on and off the field.

TO ( like Moss ) could have been one of the best ever at WR had he just concentrated on being the best player he could be without the foolish sideshows. >>

I understand that Welker's (and Edelman's) job are to move the chains, just don't understand why you would rather have Edelman then TO ? TO didn't have a great QB in Buffalo, and had an off year, but still had a 15.0 ypc average. He only had 5 rec. td's and 1 rushing, but give him a better qb and he will put up better #'s. TO was pretty quiet last year. Will be interesting to see where he ends up.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

TO ( like Moss ) could have been one of the best ever at WR had he just concentrated on being the best player he could be without the foolish sideshows. >>

I understand that Welker's (and Edelman's) job are to move the chains, just don't understand why you would rather have Edelman then TO ? TO didn't have a great QB in Buffalo, and had an off year, but still had a 15.0 ypc average. He only had 5 rec. td's and 1 rushing, but give him a better qb and he will put up better #'s. TO was pretty quiet last year. Will be interesting to see where he ends up. >>

Couple reasons..

#1- The clock is ticking on the Patriots to have a shot at another Super Bowl ( That time might have already passed actually ) and to bring in a guy who is completely selfish and NOT a team player doesnt fit well with the program in New England, Brady spreads the ball around and if TO doesnt get enough "looks" he will cry its as simple as that- we dont need that in the locker room, especially now.

#2- TO is 36 years old

• RobbRobb Posts: 2,034
    TO will be on the Chiefs or Raiders next year.
    imageRIP

<< <i>TO will be on the Chiefs or Raiders next year. >>

And quite possibly have worst stats than he did with the Jills image
  • AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I understand that Welker's (and Edelman's) job are to move the chains, just don't understand why you would rather have Edelman then TO ? TO didn't have a great QB in Buffalo, and had an off year, but still had a 15.0 ypc average. He only had 5 rec. td's and 1 rushing, but give him a better qb and he will put up better #'s. TO was pretty quiet last year. Will be interesting to see where he ends up. >>

Couple reasons..

#1- The clock is ticking on the Patriots to have a shot at another Super Bowl ( That time might have already passed actually ) and to bring in a guy who is completely selfish and NOT a team player doesnt fit well with the program in New England, Brady spreads the ball around and if TO doesnt get enough "looks" he will cry its as simple as that- we dont need that in the locker room, especially now.

#2- TO is 36 years old >>

wasn't that the opinion of Moss in oakland, that worked out well for the Pats.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Ravens, Bengals or Raiders...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • leftofdialleftofdial Posts: 442 ✭✭
    Or TO could just go back to commanding his children's book empire. Aren't we all waiting for the next installment from the forces that brought us "Little T learns to share?"

Seriously, I thought he did do a much better job of keeping his mouth shut this past year with Bills. But it's a young man's game and his days of beating backs long are pretty much over. The Bills tried a lot of reverses and things to get him the ball but it wasn't the best of years for the guy. I was waiting for the erruption but it never really came.

<< <i>

Couple reasons..

#2- TO is 36 years old >>

wasn't that the opinion of Moss in oakland, that worked out well for the Pats.
    John >>

It was John and you are correct although Moss by NFL Age standards looked to have some good years left in him at the time and there was no risk involved, TO will command money and the age/baggage is not a sound investment when looking at the downside of things.
    Moss is the clear #1/deep guy for the pats. TO would have to be #2, and as others have said, Edelman moves the chains (which is the job of the #2 in NE). TO doesn't have the hands to be a #2. Anquan Boldin would be a better #2 than TO too.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    KC Royals will likely sign him.
    <<<Edelman is better than TO at this point. >>>

Edelman and TO are two different type WRs. Edelman is a slot guy who will NEVER excel as an outside WR, like a Moss or TO. However, I will say Edelman has the ability to be better than Welker in the slot, as long as he can stay on the field (he'll need to learn how to avoid hits like Welker does)

<<<#1- The clock is ticking on the Patriots to have a shot at another Super Bowl ( That time might have already passed actually ) and to bring in a guy who is completely selfish and NOT a team player doesnt fit well with the program in New England, Brady spreads the ball around and if TO doesnt get enough "looks" he will cry its as simple as that- we dont need that in the locker room, especially now.>>>>

This is exactly why you bring in a guy like TO in for one year. At this point in his career, I think TO is done with the baggage stuff. You didn't hear much out of him in Buffalo last year, and he had every reason to mouth off. I don't want to attribute TO's drops to the QBs, since by definition, drops are the WR's fault, but I think those would largely go away when Brady puts it exactly where he needs it to catch it. I'm so tired of the "baggage" crap, especially when it comes to the Patriots. They've shown time and again that they can bring guys in and have them excel in their system without making a peep.

<<<#2- TO is 36 years old>>>

Were you guys watching the same Randy Moss that I was last year? Who looked older last year, TO or Moss? I'm hoping Moss was injured, because he played like he was 50 years old. It was obvious on every jump ball, every time he couldn't get off a jam, every time he couldn't contort his body to badly thrown balls like he used to. TO showed he still had the jets on a number of plays, including a 98-yd TD. Like I said, maybe Moss was hurt this past year, and will rebound next year. If he wasn't hurt, Moss is done being the #1 WR we've come to know.

With all the other holes they need to fill, a long-term solution as the #2 WR is not near the top of the priority list....that's why, for me, a stop-gap solution like TO makes some sense. Of course, I doubt it will happen, since Moss won't him there since he's playing for one last contract, but it's fun to think about.

• rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

TO's 'Buffalo baggage' came with this:

One of only six receivers to have 1,000 receptions (week 16: In Atlanta).
    Third all-time receiver with about 15,000 yards (week 17: 30-7 win against Indy).

At age 36, he still had 829 receiving yards (He still doubled the NFL league average for WRs @ 410 yards).

What can TO do for another NFL system at age 37?

I'd wager TO still has a 1,000+ yard season in him with the 'right fit' somewhere?

rd

• bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>TO's 'Buffalo baggage' came with this:

One of only six receivers to have 1,000 receptions (week 16: In Atlanta).
    Third all-time receiver with about 15,000 yards (week 17: 30-7 win against Indy).

At age 36, he still had 829 receiving yards (He still doubled the NFL league average for WRs @ 410 yards).

What can TO do for another NFL system at age 37?

I'd wager TO still has a 1,000+ yard season in him with the 'right fit' somewhere?

rd >>

All legit points, but the onlyright "fit" for him is a mature system with a mature QB, as his knack for starting whisper campaigns can ruin a weak room in a hurry. Give him a system where the QB and/or coach aren't afraid to issue a "STFU" or two, and he'll excel.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
    and a system where he is the #1. Forget him at slot or #3.
    Mike
    Bosox1976

<< <i>and a system where he is the #1. Forget him at slot or #3. >>

Maybe, but if he's in a room where players won't put up with that backbiting, he may shut up. I highly DOUBT it, but he MIGHT.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Maybe we could have Carrot-top make a football that opens up with a box of tissue in it just like he did after the Bulls won their 6th championship .. image
    Telsa is one of the greatest inventors
    of all time! Render to Caesar's what is
    Caesars and give to God what is God's.
  • calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    I hope he doesn't show up here in Baltimore.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell

<< <i>I hope he doesn't show up here in Baltimore. >>

No ill will intended to the Ravens, but I'd pay airfare just to see Ray Lewis' first STFU talk with T.O.
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Raiders will probably take a long look at T.O. and try to sign him.

Maybe he can teach Darius Heyward-Bey how to catch and hold onto a football.

Maybe T.O. can also be a positive influence on, and a role model for, JaMarcus Russell.

Maybe also T.O. will be a little more committed to playing for the Raiders than Randy Moss was.

<< <i>The Raiders will probably take a long look at T.O. and try to sign him.

Maybe T.O. can also be a positive influence on, and a role model for, JaMarcus Russell.

Maybe also T.O. will be a little more committed to playing for the Raiders than Randy Moss was. >>

No way TO would play well with Jamarcus Russell nor do I think he would consider even playing with him. He is the worst QB in the league, TO would freak out at all the times he would miss him when he was wide open...
    < The Raiders will probably take a long look at T.O. and try to sign him.

Maybe also T.O. will be a little more committed to playing for the Raiders than Randy Moss was. >>

No way TO would play well with Jamarcus Russell nor do I think he would consider even playing with him. He is the worst QB in the league, TO would freak out at all the times he would miss him when he was wide open..

If he thought McNabb was soft, can you imagine what he'd think of Russell? Even Jerry Rice couldn't make JR look good..

• Its looking like it will probably be cincy. Carson said if any qb can handle an extravegant wr its him. I know we are desperate but I'm not sure this is going to solve our problems.
    who dey!

looking for 1964 topps baseball psa graded 7+

<< <i>Its looking like it will probably be cincy. Carson said if any qb can handle an extravegant wr its him. I know we are desperate but I'm not sure this is going to solve our problems. >>

Oh man can you imagine the battle between him and Chad lol, penalty flags would be flying in Cincy for celebrating! image
    I'm not saying JaMarcus Russell is in the Ryan Leaf category, not yet anyway, but I think ya have to start thinking about that possibility.
    <<<I'm not saying JaMarcus Russell is in the Ryan Leaf category, not yet anyway, but I think ya have to start thinking about that possibility.>>>

I think JaMarcus is well on his way to establishing his own category. image

<< <i><<<I'm not saying JaMarcus Russell is in the Ryan Leaf category, not yet anyway, but I think ya have to start thinking about that possibility.>>>

I think JaMarcus is well on his way to establishing his own category. image >>

Yea, seriously he might be worse.

Either way the fact that he held out and demanded more money like he did makes me say he was a BIGGER BUST!