Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Low grade vintage

Approximately what year/years does the market/real value of low grade common cards drop pretty very close to zero?

Comments

• RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Vintage could always be worth something to collectors, for real beat up early 50's red sox I would pay some $$, about 70's for bad condition commons...even sox I might stay away from, but even then at 1 cent a piece it could be worth it!
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    I would say post mid sixties.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • anything after 1971.

After 1975, even EX-MT cards seem to be pretty close to worthless.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Depends how low of a grade and how close to zero you mean
    Tom

• << <i>After 1975, even EX-MT cards seem to be pretty close to worthless. >>

Pretty Close to worthless can still be worth something when multiplied by a big enough number

http://cgi.ebay.com/3000-CARD-LOT-OF-1976-TOPPS-CARDS-EX-MT-NM-BV-1200_W0QQitemZ310200665771QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Baseball?hash=item48396686ab
    Tom
  • I think 1975 for sure. I was in a card shop yesterday rummaging thru his common bin and saw lots of 75T Baseball in nice shape, including Hall Of Famers like Carew, Palmer, Morgan, Killebrew...all 50 cents each. These were in decent shape, no wrinkles or severely rounded corners either. Was kinda surprised. BUt ya know what? I left 'em there, which I guess kind of confirms the price he was asking.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yea, i agree...around 1976 or so...gets close to zero...and when ya count the time and expense of sorting and listing, it's below zero if your time is worth anything to ya.