Home Precious Metals
Options

How should I store 90% silver?

I have a random assortment of 90% silver I'm keeping in a Ziploc bag. Is that okay, or would something else (i.e a glass jar) be better? Thanks.
Successful BST transactions with: Walkerguy21D, Metalsman, chumley, cohodk

Comments

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ziplock is ok for short term--a year or two. I'd be a little worried about possible PVC damage, but that threat is probably very low. A glass jar is fine, too. The mint stored those coins in canvas sacks, so that would work and might impart some toning after a long period.

I can't bring myself to store coins in anything less than tubes, so that is what I use.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    How about paper coin rolls? I assume that would be fine long term, correct?
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How about paper coin rolls? I assume that would be fine long term, correct? >>

That would be fine. May get some nice toning on the end coins over time.
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    put em in a coffee can
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For practical purposes, a canvas bag or a small sack is good. For small quantities, paper rolls or plastic coin tubes work fine.

A ziplock bag is no problem except that it might tear or give out. It is not a problem with pvc because LDPE typically doesn't include any plasticizers.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ziplock is ok for short term--a year or two. I'd be a little worried about possible PVC damage, ...... >>

Zip lock bags for food storage are made of polyethelene and should be safe for storing coins.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Good to know about the plastic bags!
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    +1. Thanks for the info. I'm guessing they're safe for storing sterling as well?
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Food storage bags such as Ziploc are not allowed to contain PVC. I store my 90% silver in paper wrappers or plastic tubes.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    plastic tubes, a large glass jar, or canvas bags.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    I just ordered some plastic tubes, those should be good for me as I just started stacking.
  • Options
    I thought the conventional wisdom was Taco Bell napkins.image
  • Options
    send them to me and I'll store them for ya image
    "If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt
  • Options

<< <i> send them to me and I'll store them for ya >>

• Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    I have a lot of mine stored in a plastic coin counter jar. That way I know how much I have atm. I also have nicer one's, AU/BU, in cardboard flips stored in a very nice box that mkman123 gave me. Whatever works for you though is the best way to store them. image
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Crown Royal bag works just fine.......
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Plastic tubes are good.
  • Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭
    I have a hole in my back yard that will hold them just fine! image
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wool sock stuffed with Taco Bell Napkins on the sunny side of the window sill.
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I've stored junk silver about all the ways listed above. I setteled on the .50 cent plastic tubes that you count once and can determine how much silver you have. They store well too.
  • Options
    FWIW, if you buy plastic tubes to store your junk silver in and someday sell it to a dealer, he will dump it out of the tubes and run it through a coin counter. He will not pay you for the tubes.

Zip-loc bags (or Crown Royal bags) are just fine. Count it once and throw a note in there for your own sake.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>FWIW, if you buy plastic tubes to store your junk silver in and someday sell it to a dealer, he will dump it out of the tubes and run it through a coin counter. He will not pay you for the tubes.

Zip-loc bags (or Crown Royal bags) are just fine. Count it once and throw a note in there for your own sake. >>

yep that's why I take em home. It's very easy for me to grab $100 face out of the SDB, he's going to count them anyway and I have extras as I aquire more over the years. Silver coins get rater heavy and I've had a few zip locks open on me over the years it all depends on how much you have.
  • Options
    My dealer has a huge box of used coin tubes. Whenever I buy 90% from him, he gives me used tubes at no cost.

I don't know if I'd buy new tubes for junk 90%. But then again, I don't have to. And having coins in pre-counted, pre-sorted tubes makes them easier to sell online and to ship.

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    The funny thing about buying junk silver in coin tubes is that people have a tendency to fill them tight, so that you might find 41 or 42 or 43 quarters in a tube and 52 or 53 or 54 dimes in a tube.
    That is why I dump them out and count them, so that I do not cheat the customer.
    TD
  • Options
    Thanks, I'm using the square tubes now.

One thing I don't like is that if it's filled it doesn't go all the way to the top. About 54 dimes completely fill a tube, so I have to keep counting to make sure I have the appropriate amount in the tube.
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    I like paper bank rolls. I have a box full of tubes I'm not usingimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034
    I use the snack size (off brand/generic) ziploc bags to store lots by $25 FV. I use a Sharpie to write "$25 FV 90%" across the top. The bags can be reused time and time again. By using the snack size you eliminate the problem of weight ripping or opening the bag.
    imageRIP
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I use the snack size (off brand/generic) ziploc bags to store lots by $25 FV. I use a Sharpie to write "$25 FV 90%" across the top. The bags can be reused time and time again. By using the snack size you eliminate the problem of weight ripping or opening the bag. >>

I ship in those wrapped HEAVY & TIGHT with duct tape! Technique learned from fellow memberimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The freezer

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...image
    another option is to trade it in for .999 silver then one can have almost ten percent more silver for the same amount of space being taken up.
  • Options
    MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use paper coin rolls. I focus mainly on halves and use the brinks boxes I get from the bank for long term storage. They are a nice size and fit well in a SDB. I do like the look of the silver in the plastic tubes though and have a few hanging around the house.

Maine_Jim