Home U.S. Coin Forum

Error Dime? No ridges around edge!

I have a dime that has no ridges around its edge. At first I thought it was just worn away, however, it doesn't seem that obvious. It's too rounded and perfect. There is no rim at all on the coin either. It's not a flat rim, that would be an obvious error. Is this just a worn dime or is it a common error? Thanks.

Comments

• seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    the rims may have been removed for silver
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What year is the dime?
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Thank you for your input. I should have mentioned that it is a 1987 roosavelt dime.
  • seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    that is another story, is the color right?
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like intentional post mint damage to me
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Check the diameter.
    If it's bigger than another dime, it may be an out of collar strike.
    Edited.

Ray
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes they really get worn in vending machine use.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• It is all brown on the edge. Maybe it is worn from vending machine use. I have no idea a coin can look this way.
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It could a broadstruck error but you need to post a photo.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sounds like intentional post mint damage to me >>

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sometimes they really get worn in vending machine use. >>

Com'n Ray (fcloud), vending machine wear on an '87????? LOL

You could stand and put it through a vending slot once a day for 25 years and not
    get smooth edges. I laugh about slot machine wear as well. Doesn't happen like
    that. Take a look inside a vending or slot machine and you'll see why I doubt that
    this would be the culprit.

Either intentional or an error.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • compare to diameter of another dime - place them side by side

larger than possibly broadstrike
    smaller than possibly worn/damaged

welcome to the boards, you can learn lots here if you want to, and willing to let people tell you when you are wrong
  • RobbRobb Posts: 2,034
    Spooned?
    imageRIP
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pictures?
    Lance.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We need visuals to help you any further. Cheers, RickO
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

Yep, we need pics.
    Becky
  • Welcome and pics needed
    Save $$$ on many purchases to include EBAY and EBay Stores.

Big Crumbs Link

Mr Rebates Link

EBates Link

Chucknra@yahoo.com
  • Spent a few cycles in a dryer.
  • stealerstealer Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Spooned? >>

A lot of spooned dimes turn up in my dime boxes.
  • I know this is ten years late-way beyond what's fashionable- but I believe I have a dime that was minted without ridges.

It weighs the same at all dimes from that time period. Same diameter. I hope someone who knows what to look for can help. Thanks in advance

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)
    It's best to start your own thread rather than add to a 10 year old one. ;)
    Your coin was damaged after it left the mint (PMD) post mint damage

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

:/

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jadedsince71.... Welcome aboard.... Your coin has Post Mint Damage (PMD)...Likely spent time in a dryer going round and round....Cheers, RickO

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

That new Dime added has been “tapped” on the edges it’s not minted like that-
    It’s an altered dime:::

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • It can't be in have one too 2017 denver it weighs 2.4 so it cant be worn pretty deep on both side

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vmjr1323 said:
    It can't be in have one too 2017 denver it weighs 2.4 so it cant be worn pretty deep on both side

@Vmjr1323 said:
    It can't be in have one too 2017 denver it weighs 2.4 so it cant be worn pretty deep on both side

Spooning (one term used to describe the act of tapping the edge of a coin) does not change the weight, only the look.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vmjr1323 said:

What can't be what? A 'tapped' dime can result in the reeding being pushed smooth all around the edge.

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vmjr1323 said:

Read this thread

It doesn’t have to be worn down, it can be mashed vertically on the edge.

View the picture above, notice how it is a tiny bit taller on the edges

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fcloud said:

Seriously? When was the last time you saw a vending machine that took dimes?
    bob ;)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:

@fcloud said:

Seriously? When was the last time you saw a vending machine that took dimes?
    bob ;)

If they take coins, they usually take dimes.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kctriforce said:
    I have the same thing but mine is a 1979. I took the pics with my Nikon so everyone could see the dime clearly.

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g322/dbzcas/_DSC0064.jpg
    http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g322/dbzcas/_DSC0063.jpg
    http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g322/dbzcas/_DSC0062.jpg

I have no idea.

There's definitely no reeding.

Someone probably grinded it off.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2021 12:06PM

Dryer coin 😉

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jadedsince71 said:
    I know this is ten years late-way beyond what's fashionable- but I believe I have a dime that was minted without ridges.

It weighs the same at all dimes from that time period. Same diameter. I hope someone who knows what to look for can help. Thanks in advance

Looks like the real deal to me. IF the edges were ground off it would definitely so grinding marks, which it doesn’t. Looks like un-disturbed surfaces on the edge to me, 100%.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:

@Jadedsince71 said:
    I know this is ten years late-way beyond what's fashionable- but I believe I have a dime that was minted without ridges. ![]

Looks like the real deal to me. IF the edges were ground off it would definitely so grinding marks, which it doesn’t. Looks like un-disturbed surfaces on the edge to me, 100%.

C'mon. It's tapped not ground. Cut the newbie some slack.

• I have the exact same dime, perfect condition, no ridges, you can see the cladding . 1995 D

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

....and it's caused by the same thing that happened to the others in this thread.

Damaged

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

it is best not to handle your coins like that with fingers on the front and back. the fingerprints if left unchecked, over time, can damage the surfaces, significantly and unnecessarily reducing value, when you come across something that has some value.

can i see pics for the front and back? professional curiosity.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

You realize you're asking a question of a person who has only posted one time and that was nearly two-years ago, right?

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2022 3:39PM

@TomB said:
    You realize you're asking a question of a person who has only posted one time and that was nearly two-years ago, right?

ya. i throw a lot of nets out and if something gets caught, that is good if not that is good as well. i have many bookmarks for these nets and check from time to time to see if they've caught anything. if not, i usually remove the bookmark (the forum kind) and move on. i got in the habit of doing the bookmark thing from SO many people NOT posting updates in a reasonable time frame and while i wanted to see how things turned out, trying to keep track was FAR not worth the effort but worth the effort of a post or two. but your bringing that to my attention is appreciated in case i missed it.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey! Where'd my soup spoon go? I'm pretty sure I see impact spots. But that's just me. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• I have a 2021 dime that has no ridges on it. Can someone tell me about it?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file