Home Precious Metals
Options

Silver Buy? Sell ? Hold?

Dollar is stronger ? Silver Drops? Gold Drops? I am really beginning to think these Gold, Silver and the US dollar markets are designed so the little guy will crash and burn. All the talk about the dollar being weak, high interest rates and hundreds of banks in trouble. What gives, metals are down. I really believe that all the talk about metals is hype and we have seen the best and now we start a slow downturn to $11.00 silver and $950 gold. I hope I am wrong but >............................When do we see an increase in PM's ? How bad must it get before we see $25.00 silver and $1500 gold?

Jim

Comments

• Options
    AgBloxAgBlox Posts: 744 ✭✭

<< <i> I really believe that all the talk about metals is hype and we have seen the best and now we start a slow downturn to $11.00 silver and $950 gold. I hope I am wrong but >>

I hope you're right image
  • Options
    I hope we see $11 silver and $950 gold again
    "If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    I'm still buying. Every things so screwed up. Know one knows how or has the kahoona's to fix things.

Every one pointing the finger and kicking the can down the road.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So...........................I stopped trying to "beat the market" with superior timing and analysis, and behold - all of the issues you mention simply went away, evaporated, dissipated, poof.

If you remember that silver bullion is real, and paper assets are not necessarily everything that most people think they are, then you already have a leg up on becoming financially secure.

It might be $16.00 today, and $12.00 tomorrow. The question is, how many ounces do you have stacked? Whether the market goes up or down, you will still have the same number of ounces when the market goes the other direction. It all works out in the end.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr. bull market made a great move in 2009 to nearly $20 to pull in as many fresh faces as possible. And now the next step is for the banksters to crush as many newer silver holders as possible...so that they think twice about ever coming back. The ride will only get tougher from here. I suspect another shakedown for up to 1-3 weeks, then a nice run again through March-April, though probably not taking out the $19/20 line. Unfortunately, another shakedown probably to follow this summer as the dollar makes another strong move. For core silver holdings I'd say HOLD. Those looking to buy should do so on severe weakness/oversold conditions as they feel the need.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    There's a lot more downside to the US dollar than to silver or gold. It won't take too many more annual $1.6 trillion budget deficits before we bankrupt this country, have a currency crisis,m or have a serious bout of inflation. Be patient and buy the dips.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options

<< <i>..................... And now the next step is for the banksters to crush as many newer silver holders as possible...so that they think twice about ever coming back......... >>

LOL! image
  • Options
    ZubieZubie Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> The question is, how many ounces do you have stacked? Whether the market goes up or down, you will still have the same number of ounces when the market goes the other direction. It all works out in the end.image >>

I had a question about this when I first got on the PM message board. What do you guys think is an ideal amount of silver, gold, platinum and palladium to have in hand? Obviously as much as possible, but, if you a had a good friend or family member ask you about getting in to PMs, how much would you recommend someone having in hand...for say a 40 yr old making $50-80K a year?

Silver...500 ozs?
    Gold...5 ozs?
    Platinum...1-2 ozs
    Palladium...10 ozs

$20,000 in PMs???
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    Overdate, BestMR, Weather11AM, TDEC1000, Carew4me, BigMarty58, Coinsarefun, Golfer72, UnknownComic, DMarks, JFoot13, ElKevvo, Truthteller, Duxbutt, TwoSides2aCoin, PerryHall, mhammerman, Papabear, Wingsrule, WTCG, MillerJW, Ciccio, zrlevin, dantheman984, tee135, jdimmick, gsa1fan, jmski52, SUMORADA, guitarwes, bstat1020, pitboss, meltdown, Schmitz7, 30AnvZ28, pragmaticgoat, wondercoin & MkMan123
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    I had a question about this when I first got on the PM message board. What do you guys think is an ideal amount of silver, gold, platinum and palladium to have in hand? Obviously as much as possible, but, if you a had a good friend or family member ask you about getting in to PMs, how much would you recommend someone having in hand...for say a 40 yr old making $50-80K a year?

Silver...500 ozs?
    Gold...5 ozs?
    Platinum...1-2 ozs
    Palladium...10 ozs

$20,000 in PMs??? >>

Not really a question of income, it's a question of A) comfort, and B) assets. If you're 40 and making $75k a year, but have $600,000 in nonconstructive debt, you've got bigger fish to fry.

We did a very informal poll thread here recently and it seemed to indicate most of us were about in the 20:1 ratio (or wanted to be in about that ratio) of ounces of silver to ounces of gold. Chime in anyone if I'm off base.

What percent of wealth to have in metals is a personal preference. I've seen many "gurus" say it should be 5% to 10% of assets. I'd wager most of us would lean more toward the high end of that scale (some probably go significantly higher), and I think most of us lean more towards physical metals vs. paper (stocks, ETFs, etc.)--we are participants on a precious metals forum, after all.

I'm roughly 20:1, roughly 10% of assets, with only a very small amount of Pd or Pt.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I'm still stacking, regardless of the price, and will be till it reaches at least $50/oz. I haven't sold one gram and have bought many thousands of ounces so far. I'd rather hold something real than paper.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    ZubieZubie Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭
    Jester,
    If you collect 1000s of ounces, what is your preference...10 oz bars, 100...1000? Do you buy different types of bars?
    I'm wondering if most PM hoarders collect certain types of bars and/or silver coins? Or is silver just plain silver and it doesn't matter?
    Just trying to get an idea on which direction I want to proceed in my PM collecting. Thx, Tim

Anyone here think Palladium will outperform silver in the long run?
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    Overdate, BestMR, Weather11AM, TDEC1000, Carew4me, BigMarty58, Coinsarefun, Golfer72, UnknownComic, DMarks, JFoot13, ElKevvo, Truthteller, Duxbutt, TwoSides2aCoin, PerryHall, mhammerman, Papabear, Wingsrule, WTCG, MillerJW, Ciccio, zrlevin, dantheman984, tee135, jdimmick, gsa1fan, jmski52, SUMORADA, guitarwes, bstat1020, pitboss, meltdown, Schmitz7, 30AnvZ28, pragmaticgoat, wondercoin & MkMan123
  • Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Silver...500 ozs?
    Gold...5 ozs?
    Platinum...1-2 ozs
    Palladium...10 ozs

$20,000 in PMs??? >>

Not really a question of income, it's a question of A) comfort, and B) assets. If you're 40 and making $75k a year, but have $600,000 in nonconstructive debt, you've got bigger fish to fry.

We did a very informal poll thread here recently and it seemed to indicate most of us were about in the 20:1 ratio (or wanted to be in about that ratio) of ounces of silver to ounces of gold. Chime in anyone if I'm off base.

What percent of wealth to have in metals is a personal preference. I've seen many "gurus" say it should be 5% to 10% of assets. I'd wager most of us would lean more toward the high end of that scale (some probably go significantly higher), and I think most of us lean more towards physical metals vs. paper (stocks, ETFs, etc.)--we are participants on a precious metals forum, after all.

I'm roughly 20:1, roughly 10% of assets, with only a very small amount of Pd or Pt. >>

image I am at 30:1 and looking to pick up gold on dips.
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy and hold silver here, slowly overall basically here depending on client work and art sales. Not a lot compared to some folks here, but I've been trying to pick something up every 4-8 weeks the past year. I really need to run through everything and see how close (or over) I am to the 100oz milestone before I look at a quarter/half eagle or maple to add.

And I'd love to see $11 all day. Rolls and 10ozers at that price are very attractive.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At current prices, I'm holding and buying when I can find silver without a big markup over current spot.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget though.... if we see the $11 per ounce we will probably see the premiums increase also, so that you will still be paying $14 or more per ounce. Unless the downturn remains for some time. Remember when silver was in the $9 range a year or two ago? There wasn't much success in buying at those levels.

If you believe in silver, a better approach may be to cost average... keep accumulating when possible on the dips and making use of opportunities as they present themselves.
    ----- kj
  • Options
    PreTurbPreTurb Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭
    Someone I know has 65% of total discretionary cash assets in PM's, with the following breakdown (value basis):

56% gold
    21% silver
    14% palladium
    9% platinum
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Someone I know has 65% of total discretionary cash assets in PM's, with the following breakdown (value basis):

56% gold
    21% silver
    14% palladium
    9% platinum >>

I like this mix. I'm not sold on the Palladium & Platinum.

Only for the fact in my part of the world they are not liquid/recognized enough.

I agree both have endless potential!image
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone here think Palladium will outperform silver in the long run? >>

I do, I do. image

Palladium has more potential industrial applications than silver & is a lot scarcer. May not happen overnight, but my gut feeling is, that it will eventually.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Anyone here think Palladium will outperform silver in the long run? >>

I do, I do. image

Palladium has more potential industrial applications than silver & is a lot scarcer. May not happen overnight, but my gut feeling is, that it will eventually. >>

Most auto manufacturers and diesel engine manufacturers are switching to cheaper palladium over platinum in catalytic converter contruction. This alone will put a huge demand on the metal. There is also a recently issued Exchange Traded Fund, PALL.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Jester,
    If you collect 1000s of ounces, what is your preference...10 oz bars, 100...1000? Do you buy different types of bars?
    I'm wondering if most PM hoarders collect certain types of bars and/or silver coins? Or is silver just plain silver and it doesn't matter?
    Just trying to get an idea on which direction I want to proceed in my PM collecting. Thx, Tim

Anyone here think Palladium will outperform silver in the long run? >>

Tim, thanks for asking. I'm just a novice at this, but ever since I started collecting bullion silver about a year and a half ago, my tastes have run the gamut from gram-sized commercial bars to 5 kg bars. Now I've decided to concentrate on one ounce gov't bullion coins, specifically SAEs and Philharmoniker. I have some Maple Leaves and Libertads but the bulk is in SAEs and Philharmoniker. The primary reasons for this are divisibility (I think silver will sky-rocket in price, and when it does, it might be hard to unload 100 oz bars), liquidity and acceptability (people might be more ready to accept gov't bullion due to less real or perceived counterfeiting).

Still, the coin collector in me has become quite enamored of the variety and beauty in bars, especially one ounce art bars. I also collect commercial bars of all sizes, and they range from 1 gram to 1 kilogram generally. It's fascinating what's out there and since there's so little knowledge about what's available, I find the hunting and discovering and holding of these obscure pieces of metal quite fascinating, challenging and rewarding. Perhaps it's also due to the fact I'm so low on the learning curve compared to many experts here; whereas they might know a lot about these bars and have become bored, I on the other hand know virtually nothing and love the challenge of learning about this most beautiful white metal.

Maybe silver is silver, but I prefer to have 999 silver (don't care for sterling for some reason), and I don't mind at all paying a hefty premium for interesting bars; it's still much less than you find in numismatics!! LOL. As I said, I'm sort of actively pursuing an art bar theme, as well as most upper-tier commercial bars (Credit Suisse, PAMP, Valcambi, Johnson Matthey, Argor Heraeus, and others). That keeps my interest level up. The gov't bullion just sits and does its job.

I sold most of my valuable numismatic items over the past 5 years and have put most everything into silver. I have some gold coins as well (older US and Darkside), but haven't been adding to that stack. I also have added a portion of palladium to the pile, being of the opinion that it will also jump in price. However, as opposed to Opa, I do not think palladium will surpass silver's rise, at least in the longer term (15-20 years); I just hold it because I think it's a sound investment and will pay back in spades. I just believe that silver will do that to an even greater extent down the line, so at current prices, I have about 90% in silver.

I hope that gives you some ideas. I am by no means any kind of expert, so take it for what it's worth...the paper it's printed on....oops, my opinion isn't even worth a sheet of paper since it's electronic! LOL image

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silver vs. Palladium - take your pick, they will both go in the same direction and they will be in the same order of magnitude.

Silver is more liquid as a financial asset and is more finely-divisible into smaller bits. Palladium will take less space to store.

If I were into bars, I would focus on well-known, recognizable name brands unless I were a bar collector. In that case, I'd be studying rarities and premiums.

If I were into coins/rounds, I would buy Silver Eagles and I would buy 90% silver, but not much else. Both of those are highly liquid and instantly recognizable, which means that the price is instantly determined. You could also consider Silver Maples or Philharmonics. Other foreign silver bullion comes with much higher premiums, such as Britannias or Kookaburras, and those are fine if you are a collector with some market saavy.

If I had $20,000 that needed to go into precious metals, I wouldn't buy more than $5,000 at a time - seriously. I'd buy in large enough increments so as not to get hosed by buying too small, but small enough to avoid taking a risk on the whole amount all at one time.

Whether the amount is large, or small - if you buy incrementally, you stand much less chance of becoming over-extended, and take much less risk in terms of getting killed by a big market turnaround that happens unannounced.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Silver was at 19.00 recently and it will be there again. There is aways a time when you can sell and make $$, whether you do at that time or get "greedy" and decide to wait is another story.

If you look at silver every day and think about what you should have done you will go nuts-------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree