Home Precious Metals
Options

Engelhard Guide .... Invitation.

2»

Comments

• Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭

<< <i>First time I've seen this 3/4 oz engelhard gold:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320499034756&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123 >>

Here's some better scans. I wish the previous owner hadn't tried to polish it with 36 grit sandpaper. I'm not unhappy with the price, but the seller shouldn't hide behind awful pictures and "please look and decide for yourself".

Judging by the holder and the design on the coin, it looks like it's related to FMC corporation and their herbicide called "command".
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    The coin looks like a different one from your picture jimq112

Texthttp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320499034756&ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    SilverBaron/AboutAg, here are all the one ounce Englehard bars I own at present. I count 5 different varieties, and I see you already have some of my serial numbers in your registry. I hope this extra information helps.

Small E inside globe: FC 89950
    Large E inside globe: PX 45413, PX 77014

EMC inside globe: PT 92110, PU 94998, PU 95523, PU 95698, PW 07109, PW 15451

ENGELHARD, frosted reverse: PC 09617, PC 09729, PC 09828, PC 09843, PC 12009, PC 12236, PC 12247, PC 12404

Eagle: FS 03402
    Maple: 069677

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    1jester .........

Very nice bars & Pixs ...... Good info....... Every bit helps!!
    Silver Baron
    Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Thank you, sir, and you're welcome! I wish I could be of more assistance, but alas my knowledge and experience are extremely limited. I'm happy to provide pictures and serial numbers to add to the data base, however, since that's about all I can do. I'm eager to know more, and applaud the registry/website. Thanks for all the work on compiling and providing this valuable information.

Do you have a similar knowledge base of art bars? I'd dearly love to see some kind of reference library/site on these bars. The main purpose of the silver bullion thread I started was to elicit responses and gather information about all silver bars. So far I seem to have failed in my endeavor. It seems there's a serious dearth of that information around. Again, I'm happy to provide pictures but lack any real knowledge in the discipline.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    1jest .........

I have some knowlage of art bars.

I did run across this guide that seams to be the most up to date

guide that I know of ....... Anyone know of a newer edition?

Art bar guide

As far as a thread that had pixs of ALL the art bars just owned by forum members ...

WOW ....... it would take forever to upload!!

Keep on Stack'n!!
    Silver Baron
  • Options
    AboutAgAboutAg Posts: 201 ✭✭

<< <i>I did run across this guide that seams to be the most up to date

>>

1976, 2nd Edition, "Silver Art Bars, An Indexed Guide Book of 1 Ounce .999 Fine Silver for the Collector & The Investor.", 143p. J. Archie Kidd.
    1986, 4th Edition, $29.95 retail. "An Indexed Guide Book Of Silver Art Bars" by J. Archie Kidd, over 3000 photos, mintages, rarity, price guide. Edited by Steve M. Rood, William Darrin, Duane Spellman. 284p.
    1991, 5th Edition/Vol.1, $29.95 retail. "An Indexed Guide Book Of Silver Art Bars" by J. Archie Kidd, edited by Steve M. Rood. Over 3,700 photos, 6,000 bars. Mintages, rarity, price guide. 358p.
    2008, 6th Edtion/Vol.2, "An Indexed Guide Book Of Silver Art Bars" by J Archie Kidd and edited by Nancy Yee. Has prices+mintage figures, pictures of 1000s of bars
    2009, 1st Edition of "The International Association Of Silver Art Collectors Price Guide Of Silver Art Bars" by Archie Kidd. 140p. Up-to-date prices of bars from 5th and 6th editions.

So for a serious collector who has money to spend, you would want at least the 5th & 6th editions (to get pictures of bars through 1991, and from 1991-2008), and the "Price Guide" for up-to-date prices of all the bars.
    The 6th Edition and "Price Guide" can be had for about $50 a piece; the 5th Edition is usually $100-$300 if you can find it.
  • Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    I'm going to try to scan my bars tomorrow for your research. I'm a complete silver noob, but I've been trying to buy only Engelhard bars (for no real reason other than I like them).

Does anyone have that 2009 book listed above? If so, does it list estimated quantities for each of the Engelhard types? It seems like the two sites I've found listing the one ouncers were about the same for all of them except one.
  • Options
    I went to my SDB a few days ago but didn't take out any of the bars to scan. I did bring some of my notes with me and tried to pay attention to the specifics of the bars I have.

About.ag has the Engelhard Industries bar listed with a run of less than 100k. THis site has the number of bars at "150,000?". Not sure where that number came from but I think the run has to be more than 100k because I have a couple bars with serials greater than 100,000.

Does that help the research here or do I need to confirm those serials?
  • Options
    slantycouch.....

Great info.... no need for a special trip butttt next time you are at the SDB ...

go ahead and write down some numbers. As far as the number of bars in any given series...

we are all guessing at this point ..... butttt I think we are closing in on some good guesses!!!

Please do keep up the good work.

Silver Baron
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like they make platum coverters

imageimage
    imageimage

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    rodzmrodzm Posts: 675

<< <i>

1976, 2nd Edition, "Silver Art Bars, An Indexed Guide Book of 1 Ounce .999 Fine Silver for the Collector & The Investor.", 143p. J. Archie Kidd.
    1986, 4th Edition, $29.95 retail. "An Indexed Guide Book Of Silver Art Bars" by J. Archie Kidd, over 3000 photos, mintages, rarity, price guide. Edited by Steve M. Rood, William Darrin, Duane Spellman. 284p.
    1991, 5th Edition/Vol.1, $29.95 retail. "An Indexed Guide Book Of Silver Art Bars" by J. Archie Kidd, edited by Steve M. Rood. Over 3,700 photos, 6,000 bars. Mintages, rarity, price guide. 358p.
    2008, 6th Edtion/Vol.2, "An Indexed Guide Book Of Silver Art Bars" by J Archie Kidd and edited by Nancy Yee. Has prices+mintage figures, pictures of 1000s of bars
    2009, 1st Edition of "The International Association Of Silver Art Collectors Price Guide Of Silver Art Bars" by Archie Kidd. 140p. Up-to-date prices of bars from 5th and 6th editions.

So for a serious collector who has money to spend, you would want at least the 5th & 6th editions (to get pictures of bars through 1991, and from 1991-2008), and the "Price Guide" for up-to-date prices of all the bars.
    The 6th Edition and "Price Guide" can be had for about $50 a piece; the 5th Edition is usually $100-$300 if you can find it. >>

The 1st edition is dated 1975 and it was written by Thomas R. Greathouse and J. Archie Kidd. There is another guide which is dated about a year earlier written by W.K. Wilson

• Options

<< <i>About.ag has the Engelhard Industries bar listed with a run of less than 100k. THis site has the number of bars at "150,000?". Not sure where that number came from but I think the run has to be more than 100k because I have a couple bars with serials greater than 100,000. >>

Our estimate was based on the serial numbers that we saw -- all of which were 5 digits. If there are some beyond 5 digits, they might get classified differently (it is rare for Engelhard bars to change serial number systems without a change in design).
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>About.ag has the Engelhard Industries bar listed with a run of less than 100k. THis site has the number of bars at "150,000?". Not sure where that number came from but I think the run has to be more than 100k because I have a couple bars with serials greater than 100,000. >>

Our estimate was based on the serial numbers that we saw -- all of which were 5 digits. If there are some beyond 5 digits, they might get classified differently (it is rare for Engelhard bars to change serial number systems without a change in design). >>

I think you're right! I just looked closely again at the design of the one on your site and it's missing a design element that is on the ones I have (if I'm remembering it correctly). I'm going to see if I can contact that other site too and find out what they think. Cool!
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    I think your post is affecting supply. I have not found any Englehard in over 3 weeks.
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's a few for the book...
  • Options
    OK, now I'll try to actually get pictures on here.

• Options

• Options

• Options
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    rodzmrodzm Posts: 675
    I think the item below tops a lot of the item posted. 1 oz Engelhard powdered silver for dental work

• Options

<< <i>I think the item below tops a lot of the item posted. 1 oz Engelhard powdered silver for dental work >>

Yes, that does top them all! I've seen 1/10 oz gold bars and 1/10 oz jars of gold for dental work, but never from Engelhard, and never silver. Pretty cool!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I did run across this guide that seams to be the most up to date

>>

The 6th Edition and "Price Guide" can be had for about $50 a piece; the 5th Edition is usually $100-$300 if you can find it. >>

I am a silver art bar collector. I mainly collect silver art bars from the 1970's and I love this silver art bar collecting hobby. I have the 4th edition of the Archie Kidd silver art bar price guide but I use that as a reference. I do not have the 5th or 6th edition. I am a member of IASAC (International Association of Silver Art Collectors) and I thought that I heard a rumor that there was going to be another edition (7th edition????) that will come out soon but I do not know for sure on that. I also have W.K. Wilson's book called "Collector's Guide to Silver Art Bars." that came out in 1973. There is also a silver art bar price guide for Coca-Cola silver art bars that I have and it is by Thomas A. Mock and the guide book is titled "Coca-Cola Bottler's 75th Anniversay Ingot and Round Guide Book 1975-1988". I have the second edition of this Coca-Cola guide book. The second edition of this guide book came out in January 2009.

I am by no means an expert on silver art bars. I consider myself a student of the silver art bar hobby and I am learning from other people online and offline. I read the guide books to also gain more knowledge as well as doing some research on online.

I do not have any Engelhard silver bars but in the 4th edition Archie Kidd price guide book, there is a set of silver art bars that were minted by Engelhard. It is a 6-bar set called "Commemorative Sports Series". There was a mintage of 5000 of those bars.
    DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a '70's silver art bar expert but I try my best to play one on the Internet.
  • Options

<< <i>Thank you, sir, and you're welcome! I wish I could be of more assistance, but alas my knowledge and experience are extremely limited. I'm happy to provide pictures and serial numbers to add to the data base, however, since that's about all I can do. I'm eager to know more, and applaud the registry/website. Thanks for all the work on compiling and providing this valuable information.

Do you have a similar knowledge base of art bars? I'd dearly love to see some kind of reference library/site on these bars. The main purpose of the silver bullion thread I started was to elicit responses and gather information about all silver bars. So far I seem to have failed in my endeavor. It seems there's a serious dearth of that information around. Again, I'm happy to provide pictures but lack any real knowledge in the discipline.

imageimageimage >>

I did not think that you failed in your endeavor 1jester. I think that a lot of people are either just not interested in silver art bars as a hobby or they are also trying to learn more about silver art bars but are also trying to seek out the information on them. I think that Archie Kidd is the "teacher" and the real expert of silver art bars and he and his silver art bar price guides are your solution to the information you are seeking on silver art bars. Reading one of Archie Kidd's silver art bar price guides was just one way for me to gain knowledge about silver art bars. It will take time for me because I have not read through the whole 4th edition silver art bar price guide.

I have some knowledge of silver art bars and I love to collect silver art bars especially ones from the 1970's but I am by no means an expert. I am NOT an expert and I have been collecting silver art bars for only about 2 years. I consider myself a student of the silver art bar hobby. I would also like to see a reference library/site on silver art bars. I think that this would a good thing and that would help a lot of people who are also learning about silver art bars.
    DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a '70's silver art bar expert but I try my best to play one on the Internet.
  • Options

<< <i>1jest .........

I have some knowlage of art bars.

I did run across this guide that seams to be the most up to date

Art bar guide

As far as a thread that had pixs of ALL the art bars just owned by forum members ...

WOW ....... it would take forever to upload!!

Keep on Stack'n!! >>

There was a rumor that a newer edition of Archie Kidd's silver art bar price guide (7th eition????) might be coming out in the future but I do not know if that is true or not and if it is true, I do not know when it will come out.
  • Options
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    bstat1020bstat1020 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭
    Here are a couple bars not in the thread or on AboutAG website.