Home Precious Metals
Options

Engelhard Guide .... Invitation.

bstat1020 asked ....

Has anyone ever done a Engelhard reference book, not only to Prospectors, but everything Englehard produced when they where open?

I have been collecting Engelhard items for some time & I still run across PM items that I did not know existed.

Another collector just showed me a prospector date this week that I had not seen before.

OK..... Here is an open invitation .....

Everyone that knows something definate about Engelhard PM items, and if you have pixs of items,

Please pm the information & pixs to me when you can. Are there any cryptographers on the forum?

Decodeing the serial numbering system for dates and quantity would be a real help. How about anyone

that knows anyone that use to work at Engelhard? I will keep track of everything sent & at some

time when the information seems as complete as possible, I will print a copy & send it to all contributors,

w/acknowledgments. I will then post a link to a site that has all of the information w/pixs.

I will also keep updating the information as it is collected & update the site as often as possible.

I will report back to the form the response this invitation generates and what to expect.

With the right participation, this could be GREAT!!

Let the Engelhard Guide begin .... image
Silver Baron
Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.

Comments

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice. I'm afraid I have nothing to add, but appreciate your efforts.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    I emailed BASF the company who bought Engelhard for information. Let's see if they will help.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    bstat1020bstat1020 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭
    Silver Baron,

What a great idea. I will be PMing you pictures and information this weekend.

Thanks,

Bstat
  • Options
    AgBloxAgBlox Posts: 744 ✭✭
    SB, I don't recall seeing one of these 5g pendants before although I'm sure you have. I had a 10g a while back that matched it. I think you ended up with it IIRC.

• Options
    AgBlox ....

Yes.... So far I have the 5 gram, 10 gram ( from you ) and 1/4 oz silver and a 2.5 gram 14k gold in pendant form.

If I get enough input on this project .... this could be SWEEEETTTTT ...... image
    Silver Baron
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    I can come up with pics of some 100 oz bars, all the extruded ones, a few gold 1 oz prospectors,a platinum prospector, a 1/4 oz gold prospector and some silver prospectors. I figure you already have that stuff but if you want scans I can do that.

My father in law is retiring this year from basf, worked for engelhard for years but it was after they quit making metal bars and coins.
  • Options
    No reply from BASF yet. What year Engelhard quit making bars etc.?
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options

<< <i>No reply from BASF yet. What year Engelhard quit making bars etc.? >>

Don't hold your breath. I attempted to contact them & JM Long ago and received No response.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>No reply from BASF yet. What year Engelhard quit making bars etc.? >>

Don't hold your breath. I attempted to contact them & JM Long ago and received No response. >>

This is good to know. jimq112 maybe your father in law knows a old timer he could talk to or get his contact information?
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    I remember a board member bought a silver engelhard letter openener off ebay, if I remember correctly he wasn't sure of it's weight.
  • Options
    I purchased the letter opener from another site to resell on eBay. It turned out that it wasn't silver.
  • Options
    jimq112,

Does your father in law have access or knowledge to any information?? If so, would he be willing to share??

bstat
  • Options
    Here are some bars from my stash. Several type of 10ozers, 5 ozers, and a 1oz.
    Engelhard Eagle 10oz

Engelhard Big E 10oz

Engelhard Fatty Struck 10oz

Engelhard Fatty Struck 5oz

Engelhard Old Pour or Loaf 5oz

Engelhard Canada 1oz

SB, with the above and the stuff I PMed you earlier, we should have a good start!!

bstat
  • Options
    Baron, this is a VERY ambitious project, and I doubt one that could even be considered complete at any time. There are just so many Engelhard varieties in all metals and sizes and even designs within sizes/metal types to be able to confidently create a comprehensive guide. I applaud your desire, and think that even a compilation of perhaps 80% of all Engelhard related emissions would serve the collecting community greatly! I wish I had photographed and saved such photos of every Engelhard I have owned through the years. Im sure it would have included no fewer than 40 distinct varieties of metals/sizes!
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I posted in a thread not too long ago a link to a forum where former employees of one of their plants in England were talking about the good old days. You might search google--maybe you can contact former workers?
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    I have a few one gram gold bars all in their original plastic with their assay card ...so far two different designs. ( one with a letter infron of the serial number and the other type without it )

I have seen engelhard coasters, pins etc.

Someone selling the gold grams bars on ebay said the the bars were given by Alaska air as rewards to their best costumers, kinda of like a freqent flyer type of thing.

I have seen a 2.5 gram bar in both gold and platinum ....incredibly hard to find. (much harder than the gold prospectors)

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    this is the 2.5 platinum bar ...it sold on ebay for about $165 or so.

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    Great stuff everyone. Please do send pixs of every variety of item you may have.

While I might have it .... I might not!!

As far as letter openers, coasters and XXXX ..... I think we will keep this related to PM's.

I know that this guide will never be 100% complete .... that is OK .... even xx% will be a great resource.

Yes .... Anyone who can find anyone that worked in the small bar and coin fabricating division ... would be

of great help ..... (time is running out image ) The small bars and coins were made from 1975 thru 1987... I think.

Good responses ....... lets keep going!!
    Silver Baron
  • Options
    Here are a couple more old pour 10ozers

Engelhard Old Pour 10oz

Engelhard Old Pour 10oz
  • Options
    Here's a few 100 oz silver extruded bars, also a scan of the side label, the back of an unopened bar, and the 2 different ends. I believe the milled end is from a bar of stock, and the machined ends are from the bar of stock being cut down into 100 oz bars.

If each bar is numbered in order, they sold a LOT of silver!

• Options
    I asked my father in law about Engelhard last night and he doesn't know anything about the metals at all. He worked with chemicals at a place called Calsicat, that was bought by Mallinckrodt, that was bought by Engelhard in 1998. He knows some old timers but the old timers from Engelhard (now BASF) found the exit doors long long ago. BASF bought Engelhard in 2006 to gain technology and apparently lose competition.

He did tell me that Charles Engelhard was the model for the book and movie Goldfinger.

Anyway he can tell me all kinds of stories about catalysts but nothing of interest here.
  • Options
    jimq112

Yes ....... The rippled end of the 100 oz bar is 1 end of a 10,000 oz bar that is extruded out and cut into 100's.

And yes.... there is only 1 rippled end to each 10,000 because the other end was cut out and measured/weighed to

determine exactly how long to cut the rest of the bar.
    Silver Baron
  • Options

I have a second bar that is identical to this one serial no. FG 50784.

These are the only two Englehard bars I have; the rest are from different manufactures.image
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I think if Silverbaron or others in this project checked ebay daily for the next 3-4 months, I think you could find nearly all Engelhard bars/rounds ever made.

I've seen more odd engelhard stuff on ebay than anywhere else such as a 14.xx oz Engelhard in a wooden box (Agblox remembers whats I am talking about, it matches his JM that came in a box).
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options

1986 1 oz platinum

1985 1oz gold

1980 1oz gold

1976 1oz gold

1982 1/4 oz gold

I've never seen some of the bars here, really like them!

• Options
    Check this bad boy out!!! It measures 3/4" x 3/4" x 3/4".

• Options

<< <i>Check this bad boy out!!! It measures 3/4" x 3/4" x 3/4".

image >>

image VERY image
    "If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt
  • Options
    I've seen that engelhard cube before but it looks like someone else could make it themselves so I'm leery of this.

I do like the engelhard gold rounds.

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
  • Options
    that is a cool engelhard london 5 oz bar! never seen that before, 5 oz seems so little image

• Options
    image nice gold bar Agblox! 5oz in weight I wonder why not measured in grams?
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Because for the most part, the English still use the English system, not the metric system.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    found this..might be helpful

http://about.ag/Engelhard-1oz.htm
    "When someone tells you nothing is impossible, ask them to dribble a football"

MANY positive BST Transactions
  • Options
    AboutAgAboutAg Posts: 201 ✭✭

<< <i>found this..might be helpful

http://about.ag/Engelhard-1oz.htm >>

Hi everyone,

I'm the one behind the Engelhard 1-ounce bar page at About.Ag. FYI, I recently added pages for 5-oz and 10-oz Engelhard bars, too. Next will be 100oz bars.

If anyone else is working on similar pages, I would be happy to link to them.

• Options
    AboutAg........... Great stuff ........ Keep at it. image

and

Silver Baron
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Indeed, welcome, AboutAg! Fantastic site; thanks for making it.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    besides the Engelhard sections, that aboutag site has good information too

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>found this..might be helpful

http://about.ag/Engelhard-1oz.htm >>

Hi everyone,

I'm the one behind the Engelhard 1-ounce bar page at About.Ag. FYI, I recently added pages for 5-oz and 10-oz Engelhard bars, too. Next will be 100oz bars.

If anyone else is working on similar pages, I would be happy to link to them. >>

Great website! Please turn on your PM function.

On your 5 oz bar page, I have one of the five digit, large logo bars and the reverse is flat. You have it listed as unknown. The one I have has a serial number of 52081... Wait a minute that is my bar pictured on your website!!! You can add a credit footnote thank you very much!!image
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Cool - I like the idea. Cant post any pics right now but I just recently picked up a 10oz bar with the Statue of Liberty. Been looking for it for a while. It was my first piece of silver I purchased when I was a kid. But have since lost. Dont know how difficult the piece is but I was elated to find another
  • Options
    Here is a new 1 ozer I got from keepdachange.

Englehard 1 ozer frosted reverse
  • Options

<< <i>Cool - I like the idea. Cant post any pics right now but I just recently picked up a 10oz bar with the Statue of Liberty. Been looking for it for a while. It was my first piece of silver I purchased when I was a kid. But have since lost. Dont know how difficult the piece is but I was elated to find another >>

Sounds like a JM bar. Is it like this?
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Oops made a mistake - the Statue of Liberty bar I bought was JM not Engelhard but here are a few Engelhard bars that I picked up over the weekend

• Options
    AboutAgAboutAg Posts: 201 ✭✭

<< <i>Great website! Please turn on your PM function. >>

Thanks for letting me know about that -- I didn't realize it was disabled by default. Oops!

<< <i>On your 5 oz bar page, I have one of the five digit, large logo bars and the reverse is flat. You have it listed as unknown. The one I have has a serial number of 52081... Wait a minute that is my bar pictured on your website!!! You can add a credit footnote thank you very much!!image >>

Thanks for the information, and I would be happy to add a credit footnote on there for you (or remove the picture, if you would prefer).

And, to update, there are now pages on 100 ounce and odd size Engelhard bars, covering everything we've run across in silver (that have serial numbers, at least). There are certainly some varieties and/or sizes that aren't there yet. From what I've seen, I'm guessing that there is a maximum of about 250 million ounces' worth of Engelhard silver bars that were ever made (about 200 million ounces of which were 100 ounce bars). Of course, many of them were probably later melted (especially the 100 ounce bars).

• Options
  • Options
    20 ounce old pour

imageimage
    "If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt
  • Options
    Here is a 1 oz gold bar similar to the 1oz Maple design silver bar.

LINK TO EBAY
  • Options
    Recently I have started Collecting MTB silver. Here is a Bar made by Englehard for MTB. They also made rounds as well. Keepanchange started me on a bad habitimage

Posative Transaction as Buyer: Aherensdad, cwazzy, ciccio, mkman,dropdaflag

www.NebraskaSilverCoins.com

Seller, SamByrd, HTubbs
  • Options

<< <i>Keepanchange started me on a bad habitimage >>

Could be worse, could have got you addicted to CRACK image