Home Precious Metals
Options

gold for less than spot on ebay..

100g bars for about $3400

500g bar for $16,800

i'm thinking about grabbing a 100g, but.... 'if it seems too good to be true it probably is'

seller is in france, and only has 41 feedbacks... whatcha think

Comments

• Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Can't say for sure, but are some of the serial numbers the same on different bars?-----------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    AgBloxAgBlox Posts: 744 ✭✭
    Make sure to pay with credit card.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very iffy ...

I would not buy PM bars from an overseas seller, especially one that has his listing geared for the US Market.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proceed at your own risk if you feel adventuresome and still believe in Santa Clause.

Located in France.... 41 on feedback...... (which is a nice number to set someone up for a scam).... and I agree that the two bars on the bottom left seem to have the same serial number....

I myself like to avoid complications if I can help it. IMO the amount of potential gain from this deal would not be worth the potential hassles that could be there...
    ----- kj
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    $3,350 now? Buyer beware!image
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    yah it's only $200 less.. screw it
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,547 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is amazing how many people would consider gambling $1000s of dollars with total strangers to save a couple of hundred dollars over B&M prices where you get to see the merchandise and you know theyn will be there next week.
    I have no problem with people shopping around, but when gambling consider three things:
    1: The possible gain;
    2: The possible loss;
    3: The odds of eating the possible loss.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Proceed at your own risk if you feel adventuresome and still believe in Santa Clause.

Located in France.... 41 on feedback...... (which is a nice number to set someone up for a scam).... and I agree that the two bars on the bottom left seem to have the same serial number....

I myself like to avoid complications if I can help it. IMO the amount of potential gain from this deal would not be worth the potential hassles that could be there... >>

41 feedbacks and several from the same buyers--one of which has been NARU'd.

No way no how.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And several of those serial numbers do look identical. So much for me wanting a 100 gram bar image

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    All 10 bars sold ... I hope no one will be sorry ... I'm going to keep an "eye" on that seller.
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    So don't they have a VAT tax over there? How would they pay it or would they add it to your total just like sales taxes needing collected?
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a reason it's below spot: difficulty in liquidating.
    Pay the premium and stick with bullion coins.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options

<< <i> There's a reason it's below spot: difficulty in liquidating. >>

You can't be serious with that statement ... 100g Gold bars difficult to liquidate? Not in my experience with them.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> There's a reason it's below spot: difficulty in liquidating. >>

You can't be serious with that statement ... 100g Gold bars difficult to liquidate? Not in my experience with them. >>

Totally serious. When compared to gold eagles or maples or phillys, yes more difficult to liquidate - fewer buyers. I'm not saying it's hard to find a buyer. I'm saying it's a lot easier to find a buyer for bullion coins. How else do you explain the difference in premium?

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    Difference in premiums...yes, but don't forget, that you are also paying a higher premium when purchasing US Gold bullion coins. It all evens out at the end....pay more initially & sell for more .... pay less initially & sell for less. I've yet to encounter a bullion dealer that is going to hesitate in buying brand named bullion bars, they are just as liquid as US bullion gold coins. An oz of gold is still only an oz of gold. It does not matter in what form it is. If you are paying 15%+ above spot for your bullion, in my book, it's not longer a bullion item, but a numismatic item.
  • Options
    As the saying goes: " If it's to good to be true ... etc, etc.

The negs are beginning to roll in on this auction. "Items never received" Overseas Gold Scammer on eBay