Home Precious Metals
Options

Scrap Platinum? Good Buy?

Comments

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends. How many red flags does someone need in order to ignore an auction?
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

<< <i>Depends. How many red flags does someone need in order to ignore an auction? >>

Not following?
  • Options
    AgBloxAgBlox Posts: 744 ✭✭
    I have a pile of cat converters I'll sell you if you like image. I'm gonna call my core guy and sell them shortly.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Depends. How many red flags does someone need in order to ignore an auction? >>

Not following? >>

Wanna buy some land off the coast of Florida???????
    Wanna buy a bridge????????
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Ok but it would help to understand a bit better why Platinum Cat converters are of the equivalent of selling "Land of the US"??
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    how do you know they are even plat? Could be a pile of metal.......
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a virtually unintelligible auction for an unknown product from a seller with low feedback who sells $.99 bags of gold flake for $45 and who sells multiple pieces of worthless Iraqi paper money to the same ebayer who turns around and sells it for 1/5th of what he bought it for?

What exactly would you do with a pound of busted, rusted metal? Put it in the safe? Sell it on eBay? Sell it to a recycler for a profit? Doesn't it seem odd that the original seller knows enough to pull this corroded metal out of the guts of an automobile and list it for sale on the internet, but can't quite figure out how to sell it to a recycler?

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    You can purchase a brand new catalytic converter for less the $100 online. That should give you some idea how much platinum is used in their manufacture. If the metal in the auction is even from a converter, which is a series of honeycomb plated metal, it would be equivalent to sending your plated gold jewelery to cash for gold and seeing what they would offer (zero). Perhaps if you had a few tons it would be worth while.
  • Options
    BNB, some folks might bust your chops a little, don't take it the wrong way, but IMO you did the right thing by asking first. Imagine if you bought this stuff then posted your "haul".
  • Options
    AgBloxAgBlox Posts: 744 ✭✭

<< <i>You can purchase a brand new catalytic converter for less the $100 online. That should give you some idea how much platinum is used in their manufacture. If the metal in the auction is even from a converter, which is a series of honeycomb plated metal, it would be equivalent to sending your plated gold jewelery to cash for gold and seeing what they would offer (zero). Perhaps if you had a few tons it would be worth while. >>

Yes but those are aftermarket cats which contain Much less PM's than OEM cats. I get over $100 for nearly every junk cat I sell to the scrap guy. Not saying its a good idea to purchase that stuff. Actually my guy will only pay $2/# for loose stuff like that.
  • Options
    bstat1020bstat1020 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭

<< <i>

I thought it was pretty smart to ask first before just bidding on the auction. That is what this forum is for, help from fellow collectors!
    Bstat