Home Sports Talk
Options

I Just Checked the NL East Standings...

grote15grote15 Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
...and the Mets and Phils are tied for first!

Playoffs here we come!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This video might be more appropriate for Mets fans thinking about the playoffs.

youtube - "playoffs"
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are the Pirates mathmatically eliminated yet?
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    This video might be more appropriate for Mets fans thinking about the playoffs.

youtube - "playoffs"

LOL, I'd like to have seen Randolph or Manuel react that way in 2007 or 2008!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Did he say the Mets image

Please tell me he didn't say the Mets image
  • Options
    Your playin for second, braves are back.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    what is the over/under for combined home runs by Bay and Wright?

anyone?

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    12?
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options

<< <i>Are the Pirates mathmatically eliminated yet? >>

Yeah, for about 17 years now.
  • Options
    I just read where the Vegas over/under for Mets elimination from the playoffs is July 13th, the date of the All Star game. Could that be right?

• Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    Awesome, I just checked and my Indians are also still tied for first and we have Jake Westbrook going next game.....he is being opposed by Buerle but we usually rough him up. al.
  • Options

I have to say it is refreshing to see the Mets fans happy, before the bitterness sets in about mid-June. image
  • Options
    As Aesop himself once said, "He who doubts the impossible is doomed to repeat it," or something to that effect..

EF, did the Colts win the Super Bowl yet? Or are you still wiping that egg off your face..

• Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    The NL East might not even be fun to watch in the 2nd half. If I had to guess, I'd say the division will be tight at the break between 4 teams, and then the Phils wind up winning it by 7 or 8 games. I predict that Cole Hamels has a bounceback year...maybe even 20 game winner, but won't have a sub 4 ERA. I also predict that someone in the division gets sick of Chase Utley's psycho-crazy man stare and beats him up just just for the heck of it (perhaps with that 18 inch bat that Utley uses). I think the Braves make another valiant run with an average payroll and send Bobby Cox out with another good season, but a 2nd place finish in the division. Marlins and Mets both finish 10 back. I also predict that Joe Morgan or someone else at ESPN uses the phrase "The NJ Nets of Major League Baseball" to describe the Expos before the season finishes up.

By end of summer, the Phils will have locked up the East, the Dodgers will have wrapped up the West, and the only battle in the NL will be the Cards/Brewers/Cubs race in the central.

-Michael
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    This is a good website for Mets fans to check out sometime after the All Star break when there is no longer any interest in the Mets 2010 season.

Don't forget to bring the bait.

Fly Fishing in the Adirondacks
  • Options
    Don't forget to bring the bait.

Don't worry, Steve, we're out to catch Phillies this season, they make some good eatin'!

• Options
    I love the fact that Mets management keep buying more slow-footed sluggers. Perfect fit for that cavern they play in in Queens. Seriously...why would Omar Minaya think Jason Bay is a good fit? Actually, is there a worse fit than Bay for that park? Is there any right-hander that can hit even 30 HR there? Mets need to wake up and sign some 5 tool guys who are good gap hitters with speed. Home team will only win in that park with pitching and speedy defense. Bay's power will disappear just like D Wrights.

-Michael
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

• Options

<< <i>Don't forget to bring the bait.

Don't worry, Steve, we're out to catch Phillies this season, they make some good eatin'! >>

Phils are 3/1 chalk to win the NL pennant. Mets are 10/1 which is really not that much of a longshot.

Anything can happen during the season to affect a pennant race especially with pitchers blowing out an arm, or even pitchers unexpectedly doing well.

'Ya never know for sure before the season begins, how a baseball pennant race will turn out" as I think Aesop once wisely stated. image
  • Options
    I don't care if the Mets are 2 to 1 or 10 to 1, the baseball Gods have spoken and the Mets are the team that was created so that people could say "See, there isn't always a correlation between salary and wins". What a joke of a franchise. Always trying to go out and buy the big free agents like they're big brother in the Bronx, but they always sign the wrong guys. And the Mets just don't play with heart. Beltan isn't a leader. Delgado isn't a leader. Wright could be a leader but needs to work harder to inspire all of the other clowns on that team. I like Francouer in NY over the long haul though. He's an inspiring guy and great in the clubhouse.

• Options
    I don't care if the Mets are 2 to 1 or 10 to 1, the baseball Gods have spoken and the Mets are the team that was created so that people could say "See, there isn't always a correlation between salary and wins". What a joke of a franchise. Always trying to go out and buy the big free agents like they're big brother in the Bronx, but they always sign the wrong guys. And the Mets just don't play with heart. Beltan isn't a leader. Delgado isn't a leader. Wright could be a leader but needs to work harder to inspire all of the other clowns on that team. I like Francouer in NY over the long haul though. He's an inspiring guy and great in the clubhouse.

Since 2000, the Mets have made an appearance in the World Series and the NL Championship series, so calling the franchise a "joke" is ridiculous.

Do you even root for a team? Or did you just hop on that Philly bandwagon??

Oh wait, you root for the Braves, right? The poster boys for postseason chokefests, LOL...one World title in the last 50 years...even the "joke" Mets have had two since 1969, LOL..

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as I am pessimistic of my Red Sox chances this year, this type of thread puts a grin on my face.. Im looking forward to the banter this year image
  • Options

<< <i>I don't care if the Mets are 2 to 1 or 10 to 1, the baseball Gods have spoken and the Mets are the team that was created so that people could say "See, there isn't always a correlation between salary and wins". What a joke of a franchise. Always trying to go out and buy the big free agents like they're big brother in the Bronx, but they always sign the wrong guys. And the Mets just don't play with heart. Beltan isn't a leader. Delgado isn't a leader. Wright could be a leader but needs to work harder to inspire all of the other clowns on that team. I like Francouer in NY over the long haul though. He's an inspiring guy and great in the clubhouse.

Since 2000, the Mets have made the postseason several times, including an appearance in the World Series and the NL Championship series, so calling the franchise a "joke" is ridiculous.

Oh wait, you root for the Braves, right? The poster boys for postseason chokefests, LOL...one World title in the last 50 years...even the "joke" Mets have had two since 1969, LOL.. >>

Thats funny. Everyone knows (except maybe you?) that the Braves have owned the Mets for a long, long, long, long time. It must hurt that even now that the Braves have slipped, that someone else in the division has stepped into the void in the NL East. Its not that the Mets are terrible. They aren't terrible. Its just that they spend SO much money on free agents EVERY year and have so little to show for it. And 1986 was a long time ago, Grote. Just be humble and take it like a man until things turn around.

• Options
    <<< I don't care if the Mets are 2 to 1 or 10 to 1 >>>

I don't care either as far as betting is concerned because I'm not a sports gambler, but the bookie odds are an "indicator" of a team's chances.

BTW, the Braves are 11/1

...and the Nats are 75/1...longest shot on the board.

Odds pasted from a bookie website:

Arizona Diamondbacks
    15/1

Atlanta Braves
    11/1

Chicago Cubs
    9/1

Cincinnati Reds
    25/1

Colorado Rockies
    10/1

Florida Marlins
    15/1

Houston Astros
    40/1

Los Angeles Dodgers
    7/1

Milwaukee Brewers
    18/1

New York Mets
    10/1

Philadelphia Phillies
    3/1

Pittsburgh Pirates
    60/1

San Diego Padres
    45/1

San Francisco Giants
    10/1

St. Louis Cardinals
    11/2

Washington Nationals
    75/1

• Options

Since 2000, the Mets have made the postseason several times, including an appearance in the World Series and the NL Championship series, so calling the franchise a "joke" is ridiculous.

Oh wait, you root for the Braves, right? The poster boys for postseason chokefests, LOL...one World title in the last 50 years...even the "joke" Mets have had two since 1969, LOL.. >>

Thats funny. Everyone knows (except maybe you?) that the Braves have owned the Mets for a long, long, long, long time. It must hurt that even now that the Braves have slipped, that someone else in the division has stepped into the void in the NL East. Its not that the Mets are terrible. They aren't terrible. Its just that they spend SO much money on free agents EVERY year and have so little to show for it. And 1986 was a long time ago, Grote. Just be humble and take it like a man until things turn around

1986 was a long time ago, true, but it seems like a long time ago since the Braves owned the Mets, too. And after all those beatings you gave us throughout that stretch, the ring count over the last 50 years is still:

Mets 2
    Braves 1

Let's see what this season brings! image

• Options
    and the Nats are 75/1...longest shot on the board.

Even at 75-1, it seems like only the bookies can possibly cash in on that wager, LOL..

75-1 to finish .500 would be a stretch..image

If I'm a betting man, I'd have to say that the Phillies are actually a good bet, maybe not Secretariat good, but pretty good..image

• Options

<< <i>and the Nats are 75/1...longest shot on the board.

Even at 75-1, it seems like only the bookies can possibly cash in on that wager, LOL..

75-1 to finish .500 would be a stretch..image

If I'm a betting man, I'd have to say that the Phillies are actually a good bet, maybe not Secretariat good, but pretty good..image >>

<<< 75-1 to finish .500 would be a stretch.. >>>

I completely agree with that. Bookie "longshot" odds are often extreme sucker bets as far as the odds are concerned. But I guess they figure why offer 150/1 when the betting action on the Nats will likely be the same at 75/1.
  • Options
    But I guess they figure why offer 150/1 when the betting action on the Nats will likely be the same at 75/1

Interesting take on that...and makes sense considering how weasel-like bookies are...so that would explain why the odds are not really true "odds" but just what seems long enough to draw some sucker money and in the million to 1 chance it comes in, the payout is meager by comparison..,

• Options
    <<< The poster boys for postseason chokefests >>>

Have to agree with that. Frankly, it's hard to believe that with that superb pitching staff, arguably and probably the best pitching staff of all time over such an extended period, that the Braves won only one World Series title, especially considering how important pitching is over a "short" seven game series.
  • Options

<< <i><<< The poster boys for postseason chokefests >>>

Have to agree with that. Frankly, it's hard to believe that with that superb pitching staff, arguably and probably the best pitching staff of all time over such an extended period, that the Braves won only one World Series title, especially considering how important pitching is over a "short" seven game series. >>

Guys, lets do a little math here to illustrate why the Braves winning 1 WS makes sense over the stretch run. Steve, you and Grote both talk about that stretch as if the Braves were supposed to win like 5 or 6 championships. Maybe in the old days b4 wildcard, this would have been the case. However, with the wildcard implemented, that means there are 8 teams in the playoffs every year. With the 14 division titles that the Braves won, and 8 teams in the playoffs every year, you should only expect the Braves to win 2 times over 16 playoff trips. In fact, they won 1 over 14. So maybe they won 1 less than they "should" have. Thats hardly a "chokefest". What about the other 6 teams every year that didn't win the championship? Were those all chokefests too? Of course not.

What you can say about the Braves during that run is that they were clearly the best NL team for a decade and half BUT this occured during a long period when the AL was superior to the NL. If you look at league strength during the Braves run of NL dominance, its pretty clear that you would expect the AL champion to win the world series most of those years. The AL always won the all-star game, they always win interleague play..etc. etc. That still holds true today. Look how dominant the Phillies were.....until the met the Yankees. The NL still has some catching up to do.

• Options
    Slice it any way you want Michael, but 1 title in a stretch that included 14 straight division titles is downright disappointing, no matter what spin you want to put on it. Sure, they were the winners of the mythical "best team in the NL award" over that span, but they don't hand out any hardware for that bittersweet distinction. But if it makes you feel better, we'll divide 16 by 2, LOL..

• Options

<< <i>Slice it any way you want Michael, but 1 title in a stretch that included 14 straight division titles is downright disappointing, no matter what spin you want to put on it. Even the vaunted Yankees never won 14 straight divisional titles. But if it makes you feel better, we'll divide 16 by 2, LOL.. >>

OK, whatever. I'm not trying to put a spin on anything, its just that the wildcard does greatly diminsh any 1 team's odds of winning a ring. I think this fact is frequently overlooked. That being said, the Braves had the better team in 95 and should have won that one vs. the Yanks. The series against the Twins was a coin toss and could have gone either way. Other than those 2, the Braves were outmanned every time they lost a series.

• Options
    < Slice it any way you want Michael, but 1 title in a stretch that included 14 straight division titles is downright disappointing, no matter what spin you want to put on it. Even the vaunted Yankees never won 14 straight divisional titles. But if it makes you feel better, we'll divide 16 by 2, LOL.. >>

OK, whatever. I'm not trying to put a spin on anything, its just that the wildcard does greatly diminsh any 1 team's odds of winning a ring. I think this fact is frequently overlooked. That being said, the Braves had the better team in 95 and should have won that one vs. the Yanks. The series against the Twins was a coin toss and could have gone either way. Other than those 2, the Braves were outmanned every time they lost a series.

The Braves were a great club...I'm really just kidding when I suggest that they were chokers, and I respect that stretch of dominance they had and witnessed it first-hand year after year as a Mets fan.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i><<< The poster boys for postseason chokefests >>>

Have to agree with that. Frankly, it's hard to believe that with that superb pitching staff, arguably and probably the best pitching staff of all time over such an extended period, that the Braves won only one World Series title, especially considering how important pitching is over a "short" seven game series. >>

Guys, lets do a little math here to illustrate why the Braves winning 1 WS makes sense over the stretch run. Steve, you and Grote both talk about that stretch as if the Braves were supposed to win like 5 or 6 championships. Maybe in the old days b4 wildcard, this would have been the case. However, with the wildcard implemented, that means there are 8 teams in the playoffs every year. With the 14 division titles that the Braves won, and 8 teams in the playoffs every year, you should only expect the Braves to win 2 times over 16 playoff trips. In fact, they won 1 over 14. So maybe they won 1 less than they "should" have. Thats hardly a "chokefest". What about the other 6 teams every year that didn't win the championship? Were those all chokefests too? Of course not.

What you can say about the Braves during that run is that they were clearly the best NL team for a decade and half BUT this occured during a long period when the AL was superior to the NL. If you look at league strength during the Braves run of NL dominance, its pretty clear that you would expect the AL champion to win the world series most of those years. The AL always won the all-star game, they always win interleague play..etc. etc. That still holds true today. Look how dominant the Phillies were.....until the met the Yankees. The NL still has some catching up to do. >>

Point understood, but in that "equation" it has to be acknowledged that the Braves in a number of those seasons were favorites to win it all, Not every year, but I remember some years they were, so in my view it isn't just a random 2 out of 16 type thing which would be the case if each team were equal odds - the Braves being favored in some of those years makes the equation look much worse for the Braves, and as I stated before, sorta almost hard to believe looking back on it.

Call it "choke" or whatever anyone wnats to call it or not call it...I'm just saying it's hard to believe with that spectacular pitching staff. But hey, I've seen other "crazy" things happen in sports over the years, and obviously it did happen with the Braves...again, just hard to believe, and I'm still saying that about the horse race when Onion beat Secretariat. image