Home Sports Talk
Options

The great Ted Williams

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
While listening to FoxNews this morning, they made mention of Ted Williams being shot down in Korea on this date in 1953. It appears the dates go between 2/16/53 and 2/19/53, however, facts remain that he was indeed shot down while on a combat mission. The following is from Wikipedia. For an excellent pic of Teddy Ballgame next to his plaque in Cooperstown, just google his name and go to the "official" Ted Williams site. It is painful to think his head and body are separated in some cryogenic hocus pocus somewhere in Arizona. Sadly, when he appeared at the 1996 AS game in Fenway, his idiot son had him wear a "hitters.com" cap, a website his son had created to leech off his dad's fame, instead of a Red Sox cap. Ted Williams in Fenway was easily the equivalent of Babe Ruth in Yankee stadium. I often wonder what Ted and other's numbers would have been had the wars not taken them away for so long. I have cherished and wonderful memories of having seen him play in Fenway, truly magical times.

Military service
[edit] World War II
Theodore Samuel "Ted" Williams
August 30, 1918 – July 5, 2002

Williams being sworn into the military on May 22, 1942.
Place of burial Scottsdale, Arizona
Allegiance United States of America
Service/branch United States Navy
United States Marine Corps
Years of service 1942-1946, 1952-53
Rank Captain
Battles/wars World War II
Korean War
Other work Baseball player

Williams served as a pilot during World War II and the Korean War. He had been classified 3-A by Selective Service prior to the war, a dependency deferment because he was his mother's sole support. When his classification was changed to 1-A following U.S. entry into the war, Williams appealed to his draft board. The board agreed that his status should not have been changed. He made a public statement that once he had built up his mother's trust fund, he intended to enlist. Even so, criticism in the media, including withdrawal of an endorsement contract by Quaker Oats, resulted in his enlistment in the Navy on May 22, 1942.

Williams could have received an easy assignment and played baseball for the Navy. Instead, he joined the V-5 program to become a Naval aviator. Williams was first sent to the Navy's Preliminary Ground School at Amherst College for six months of academic instruction in various subjects including math and navigation, where he achieved a 3.85 grade point average.

Fellow Red Sox player Johnny Pesky who went into the same training program said about Ted "He mastered intricate problems in fifteen minutes which took the average cadet an hour, and half of the other cadets there were college grads."

Pesky again described Williams' acumen in the advance training for which Pesky personally did not qualify: “I heard Ted literally tore the `sleeve target' to shreds with his angle dives. He'd shoot from wingovers, zooms, and barrel rolls, and after a few passes the sleeve was ribbons. At any rate, I know he broke the all-time record for hits." Ted went to Jacksonville for a course in air gunnery, the combat pilot's payoff test, and broke all the records in reflexes, coordination, and visual-reaction time. "From what I heard. Ted could make a plane and its six 'pianos' (machine guns) play like a symphony orchestra," Pesky says. "From what they said, his reflexes, coordination, and visual reaction made him a built-in part of the machine."[10]

Williams received preflight training at Athens, Georgia; primary training at NAS Bunker Hill, Indiana; and advanced flight training at NAS Pensacola. He received his wings and commission in the U.S. Marine Corps on May 2, 1944.

He served as a flight instructor at Naval Air Station Pensacola teaching young pilots to fly the F4U Corsair. He was in Pearl Harbor awaiting orders to join the China fleet when the war ended. He finished the war in Hawaii and was released from active duty in January 1946; however he did remain in the reserves.[11]

Press photo of Williams signing autographs in Kokomo, Indiana 1944.[edit] Korean War
On May 1, 1952, at the age of 34, he was recalled to active duty for service in the Korean War. He hadn't flown for some eight years but turned away all offers to sit out the war in comfort as a member of a service baseball team. Nevertheless Williams was resentful of being called up, which he admitted years later, particularly of the Navy's policy to call up Inactive Reservists rather than members of the Active Reserve.

After eight weeks of refresher flight training and qualification in the F9F Panther jet at Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, North Carolina, he was assigned to VMF-311, Marine Aircraft Group 33 (MAG-33), based at K-3 airfield in Pohang, Korea.[11]

On February 16, 1953, Williams was part of a 35-plane strike package against a tank and infantry training school just south of Pyongyang, North Korea. During the mission a piece of flak knocked out his hydraulics and electrical systems, causing Williams to have to "limp" his plane back to K-13, an Air Force base close to the front lines. For his actions of this day he was awarded the Air Medal.

Williams stayed on K-13 for several days while his plane was repaired. Because he was so popular, GI's from all around the base came to see him and his plane. After it was repaired, Williams flew his plane back to his Marine station.

Williams eventually flew 39 combat missions before being pulled from flight status in June 1953 after a hospitalization for pneumonia resulted in discovery of an inner ear infection that disqualified him from flight status.[12]. During the war he also served in the same unit as John Glenn and in the last half of his missions, he was serving as Glenn's wingman. While these absences, which took almost five years out of the heart of a great career, significantly limited his career totals, he never publicly complained about the time devoted to military service. Biographer Leigh Montville argues that Williams was not happy about being pressed into service in Korea, but he did what he felt was his patriotic duty.

Williams had a strong respect for General Douglas MacArthur, referring to him as his "idol".[13] For Williams' fortieth birthday, MacArthur sent him an oil painting of himself with the inscription "To Ted Williams - not only America's greatest baseball player, but a great American who served his country. Your friend, Douglas MacArthur. General U.S. Army."[14]

Comments

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He could catch the bonefish too.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    One of these days I'm going to send someone an oil painting of myself for their birthday.
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭

<< <i>when he appeared at the 1996 AS game in Fenway >>

it was actually in 1999... July 13th to be exact.

Just sayin
  • Options
    K,

You are of course correct. I guess I got hung up with the cryogenic thing. Hard to believe this is how he ended up.

If you can dig up some neat pics of Ted, please post them.

Al
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw Ted Williams in 1969- in a position he held for a very brief period- Manager of the Washington Senators

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Being a Tigers Fan, but, NOT Denny McLain.........

I always get a kick out of thinking about Teddy Ballgame
    managing him when he was with the Senators after the
    Tigers traded him when they finally figured out he was
    going downhill and FAAAAAAAAST!

Being that Ted didn't like pitchers anyway....well.....you can
    probably hear Teddy now cussing at Denny!

Tony
    KalineFan

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arguably the greatest player ever to don a uniform...just think of what his lifetime numbers would have been had he not lost several years of his prime to military service. And unlike other high profile "celebrity" soldiers at the time, Williams was in combat, and was amazing at that. I remember one time listening to an interview with a guy who had served in Korea and he was talking about how this plane had to make an emergency landing it was almost in flames, and out of the plane emerged, and I quote, "Ted Goddam Williams." LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have a "fear of flying" so to speak, but in my opinion anyone who ever gets in an airplane and says they don't think for at least a split second that it could crash...is a little bit of a liar. LOL

I've only ever flown in jumbo jets, I guess around 20 or 30 times, and even that makes me just slightly nervous especially on takeoff...I can't even begin to imagine flying in one of those WW2 - Korean War era planes...AND GETTING SHOT AT!!! Those guys had brass ones beyond belief and I have the utmost respect for a guy like Williams who did it time and time again in service to our country.

I have Williams as a clear third on my all time list behind Ruth and Cobb, but yes "if" he had played those years when he served our country, I maybe would have had him second, but I still would have to keep Ruth on top of the list - but it might have been a tough call.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Arguably the greatest player ever to don a uniform...just think of what his lifetime numbers would have been had he not lost several years of his prime to military service. And unlike other high profile "celebrity" soldiers at the time, Williams was in combat, and was amazing at that. I remember one time listening to an interview with a guy who had served in Korea and he was talking about how this plane had to make an emergency landing it was almost in flames, and out of the plane emerged, and I quote, "Ted Goddam Williams." LOL.. >>

Agree 100%

I never heard that war story abouth the plane btw- great stuff!
  • Options
    Lets take a quick look at Ruth and Williams, and look at what they did in the context of their games.

Lets look at one metric to get a better idea of what he lost. Lets look at adjusted batter runs. These are runs produced above the league average player. If somebody got zero, that means they were league average. This metric gives appropriate credit for each BB, 1B, 2B, 3B, HR, and out made. The play by play data bears out the effectiveness of it. This does NOT include how well somebody hit with men on base.

Career Adjusted Batter Runs
    Ruth 1,387
    Williams 1,137

For his interrupted career, williams was still only 250 away from Ruth. This measurement gives a clear idea of what Williams lost.

Here is what Williams had before and after his lost seasons

Ok, some may claim, well you can't say "IF", but yes I can reasonably say it, and he lost around 300 of those adjusted batter runs from missing those prime years in WWII. That is enough right there to put him ahead of Ruth!

Taking those missing years into account, the new totals would look more like this...

Ruth 1,387
    Williams 1,427

But there are two missing elements, 1)Ruth lost at bats when he was a pitcher, and 2)Williams lost at bats for his next military tour of duty.

From 1915-1917, Ruth 'lost' about 1500+ plate appearances, assuming he would have had about 650 per each of those years had he only played the field. At the rate he hit those years, that equates to about the loss of 98 batter runs.

1918 Ruth still lost some at bats while pitching, and that was about appx 50 more batter runs.

So reasonably, Ruth lost about 148 batter runs due to not batting while pitching. But there was no law that he couldn't bat, so mroe on that later.

Williams lost about 120 batter runs.

After you hedge and haw about the small possible variances in all those figures, it really puts them about equal for their career batting worth.

Career Batting worth to this point...

Ruth and Williams EQUAL.

BUT, are they equal? Those measurements compare them to their peers. When Ruth was putting up all those monster numbers in the early 20's, and even a bit into the 30's, most of his peers were dead ball style hitters, and the population was less to draw from! In simple terms, it was easier for Ruth to outdistance his peers. In Williams's time, there were more hitters closer to the elite level of hitting, thus a bit harder to do that. They both stood tall in the crowd, but Ruth's crowd wasn't quite 'as tall' as Williams's image

Pitching:

Ok, keep in mind that I already gave Ruth credit for all those extra at bats that he missed as a pitcher, so it is kind of double dipping when you say that since he was a pitcher, that he was therefore better.

As a pitcher Ruth was about 121 runs above average, which is actually a little less than the amount of batter runs he lost because of lost at bats while a pitcher.

OUTFIELD DEFENSE: There is a bit unfair judgement to Williams because Fenway park does not afford as many fly ball opportunities when playing left field there. As a result, any number of defense given to them will unfairly be skewed against Williams.

EXTEA CREDIT:
    End of career. Sometimes a player has to retire because he lost it, and sometimes a guy retires because on his terms, but has some left in the tank.

Ruth's last year at age 40 produced 2.6 batter runs
    Williams' last year at age 41 produced 43.5 batter runs.

Ruth was out of shape and was basically done. Williams most likely had a couple of more good seasons in him should he chose to. So when I am looking at who was better, I take that into consideration.

In the End. Williams WAS the better hitter, and in looking at everything, he may have been the better player too.
    Are you sure about that five minutes!?
  • Options
    Nice write up Skin.
  • Options

Ask and you shall recieve!
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Gammons had it right about him: Ted was the real world's John Wayne.
  • Options

• Options

<< <i>image >>

I dont get it this pic? I see the seat has 21 on it.. If it had a #9 on it maybe I would understand?

Whats the deal? I never heard or seen of that before.
  • Options
    Here is a classic pic..

• Options
    Perkdog,

The Lone Red Seat
    The lone red seat in the right field bleachers (Section 42, Row 37, Seat 21), signifies the spot where the longest measurable home run ever hit inside Fenway Park's 1934 configuration landed. Ted Williams hit the home run on June 9, 1946 off Fred Hutchinson of the Detroit Tigers. Williams' bomb was officially measured at 502 feet (153 m)—well beyond "Williamsburg". According to Hit Tracker Online, the ball, if unobstructed, would have flown 520 to 535 feet.[2]

The ball landed on one Joseph A. Boucher, who was supposedly taking a nap at the time, penetrating his large straw hat and hitting him in the head. A confounded Boucher was later quoted as saying,

“ How far away must one sit to be safe in this park? I didn't even get the ball. They say it bounced a dozen rows higher, but after it hit my head, I was no longer interested. I couldn't see the ball. Nobody could. The sun was right in our eyes. All we could do was duck. I'm glad I didn't stand up. ”

No other player at Fenway Park has ever hit the seat since, although on June 23, 2001 Manny Ramírez hit two home runs; one measuring 463 feet and another one that was said to have traveled 501 feet. The 501 foot blast landed somewhere in the MassPike/Railroad cut beyond left field and the official estimate deferred to Williams' record, placing Ramirez's home run exactly one foot short.

As noted in the 2007 book The Year Babe Ruth Hit 104 Home Runs, researcher Bill Jenkinson found evidence that on May 25, 1926, Babe Ruth hit one in the pre-1934 bleacher configuration which landed five rows from the top in right field, an estimated 545 feet from home plate. Ruth also hit several other "Ruthian" blasts at Fenway that landed across the street behind straightaway center field, estimated at 500 feet.

Source(s):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenway_Park

Al
  • Options
    K,

As always, cool pics, thanks!

Al
  • Options

<< <i>Perkdog,

The Lone Red Seat
    The lone red seat in the right field bleachers (Section 42, Row 37, Seat 21), signifies the spot where the longest measurable home run ever hit inside Fenway Park's 1934 configuration landed. Ted Williams hit the home run on June 9, 1946 off Fred Hutchinson of the Detroit Tigers. Williams' bomb was officially measured at 502 feet (153 m)—well beyond "Williamsburg". According to Hit Tracker Online, the ball, if unobstructed, would have flown 520 to 535 feet.[2]

The ball landed on one Joseph A. Boucher, who was supposedly taking a nap at the time, penetrating his large straw hat and hitting him in the head. A confounded Boucher was later quoted as saying,

“ How far away must one sit to be safe in this park? I didn't even get the ball. They say it bounced a dozen rows higher, but after it hit my head, I was no longer interested. I couldn't see the ball. Nobody could. The sun was right in our eyes. All we could do was duck. I'm glad I didn't stand up. ”

No other player at Fenway Park has ever hit the seat since, although on June 23, 2001 Manny Ramírez hit two home runs; one measuring 463 feet and another one that was said to have traveled 501 feet. The 501 foot blast landed somewhere in the MassPike/Railroad cut beyond left field and the official estimate deferred to Williams' record, placing Ramirez's home run exactly one foot short.

As noted in the 2007 book The Year Babe Ruth Hit 104 Home Runs, researcher Bill Jenkinson found evidence that on May 25, 1926, Babe Ruth hit one in the pre-1934 bleacher configuration which landed five rows from the top in right field, an estimated 545 feet from home plate. Ruth also hit several other "Ruthian" blasts at Fenway that landed across the street behind straightaway center field, estimated at 500 feet.

Source(s):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenway_Park

Al >>

Thank You AL, Im ashamed to admit I really didnt know that.
  • Options
    For some reason thought it was for his last homerun in 1960; nice to finally be corrected

Tom
  • Options
    Paul,

Could be that salt air. image

Lots of folks really think it was his last homer. He did in fact hit a homer in his last at bat in Fenway, but the Red Sox still had 3 away games to play that season.

Al
  • Options
    Good analysis saberman.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice write up Skin. >>

Was skin banned?
  • Options

<< <i>

Was skin banned? >>

No I dont think so...

Its funny because as smart as he is, I think he is on his 3rd Username here because he forgets his login info image
  • Options
    You see Mr Bonds, THAT is how someone smacks the old horsehide around in their late 30's and early 40's. By being a student of the game and hard work. Teddy was the man!!!
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options

<< <i>Thank You AL, Im ashamed to admit I really didnt know that. >>

I didn't know it either until I took the tour of Fenway Park. When the stadium is empty that seat really pops out at you. It's a very cool tribute and it's amazing to stand across the field and see just how far that ball traveled.
  • Options
    Happy 95th birthday Ted!
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    The guy was one heck of an American hero all the way around. Him and Bob Feller are off the charts in my mind. Yogi too.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you like or even have an interest in Teddy Ballgame, I highly recommend this book.

Splendid Splinter

Fantastic read!

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Was skin banned? >>

No I dont think so...

Its funny because as smart as he is, I think he is on his 3rd Username here because he forgets his login info image >>

Yes, that has happened. I have also given myself 'self-imposed' bans when I would partake in debates with the bias and or stupid...Guys like SteveK, Axtell, etc...

Debating with guys like 'Baseball' isn't always the most fun, but that is because he makes me work harder. He has a knowledgeable/objective head.

It isn't hard debating the bias/ignorant...but when I continue to debate with them, I have to slap myself in the wrist for 'going down to their level and making myself dumber as a result...and for wasting my time on them. lol

As for the Ted Williams topic...this is worthy of a great topic, and one day I wish to expand my analysis on him compared to guys like Ruth.
  • Options
    Hi Skin2,

Love to see your comparison. Williams did it in a book he wrote called "Hit List". This guy knew about hitting AND all the newer (at that time) ways to measure hitters. He was one of the first to devalue RBI because of the difference in opportunities players had to drive in runs. He doesn't consider fielding in this book.

His "measuring stick" was a statistic called "Production" which I think is what is now called OPS. Ted didn't rank himself, but he comes in right behind Babe, ahead of Gehrig, Foxx, etc.

Without bringing the time they played into the conversation I pick Ruth because of his higher SLG% and more frequent Home Runs per at bat, however Ted wins in OB%. They were both head and shoulders above the rest of the players of their times.

When you start looking at their ballparks and who they had hitting behind them, it starts looking like Teddy Ballgame was the best. I'll take them 2-3 in my batting order with Gehrig batting clean-up!

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

<< <i>Hi Skin2,

Love to see your comparison. Williams did it in a book he wrote called "Hit List". This guy knew about hitting AND all the newer (at that time) ways to measure hitters. He was one of the first to devalue RBI because of the difference in opportunities players had to drive in runs. He doesn't consider fielding in this book.

His "measuring stick" was a statistic called "Production" which I think is what is now called OPS. Ted didn't rank himself, but he comes in right behind Babe, ahead of Gehrig, Foxx, etc.

Without bringing the time they played into the conversation I pick Ruth because of his higher SLG% and more frequent Home Runs per at bat, however Ted wins in OB%. They were both head and shoulders above the rest of the players of their times.

When you start looking at their ballparks and who they had hitting behind them, it starts looking like Teddy Ballgame was the best. I'll take them 2-3 in my batting order with Gehrig batting clean-up!

Joe >>

Hey Joe, good to hear from you.

I didn't know Williams did a statistical ranking as you explained.

Aside from the competition level they played in. There is one other factor that hurts Ruth compared to Williams. Since the Yankees were so good and had the best pitching almost every year, Ruth did not have to face the same level of pitching as his Non Yankee competitors did, so he had an advantage over the league average player. That may not seem like a big deal, but considering there were only 8 teams in the league, it did play a role...and in a race this close, it is just one more tangible factor that most of the measurements do not take into account
  • Options
    Right back at you Skin,

I have always been fascinated with Williams.

He said the biggest challenge facing batters during his career was the introduction/development of the slider. He didn't really see it during the first half of his career, but it made him completely change his approach at the plate. Instead of looking fastball and adjusting for off-speed, he began to look for the slider first. Luckily his bat speed was so good if the pitcher threw him a plus fastball Thumper could still hit it up the middle or the other way.

The guy had it all; eyesight, quickness, strength, brains and an unbelievable determination to be the best. There was a story about him and his finger tip push-ups. One of his teammates used to compete with Ted and no matter how many he would do, Ted would do more. Of course Ted had his problems, he was somewhat childish and could not take any amount of criticism, he had a horrible temper. He was fond of saying "The only thing dumber than a f*#ckin pitcher is two f*#ckin pitchers" LOL.

Once when he was manager for the Senators/Rangers there was some kind of old timers game or hitting demonstration. Ted was not going to be involved. The crowd started chanting his name. He became enraged and said something to the effect "Them F*#kers want to see me huh? I'll F*#ckin show em" he then grabbed a bat, and as one of his players described, put on an unbelievable hitting display, crushing line drive after line drive all over the ballpark. He then slung the bat away and returned to the dugout.

The saddest part of his life was at the end when his son got involved in the memorabilia business and moved in with Ted. This is also the reason for the freezing of Ted's remains.

Looking forward to your analysis,

Joe

• Options

<< <i>Paul,

Could be that salt air. image

Lots of folks really think it was his last homer. He did in fact hit a homer in his last at bat in Fenway, but the Red Sox still had 3 away games to play that season.

Al >>

Ted did not play in any of those 3 games. It was widely known that he was retiring after his last game at Fenway.

Joe
  • Options

<< <i>Right back at you Skin,

I have always been fascinated with Williams.

He said the biggest challenge facing batters during his career was the introduction/development of the slider. He didn't really see it during the first half of his career, but it made him completely change his approach at the plate. Instead of looking fastball and adjusting for off-speed, he began to look for the slider first. Luckily his bat speed was so good if the pitcher threw him a plus fastball Thumper could still hit it up the middle or the other way.

The guy had it all; eyesight, quickness, strength, brains and an unbelievable determination to be the best. There was a story about him and his finger tip push-ups. One of his teammates used to compete with Ted and no matter how many he would do, Ted would do more. Of course Ted had his problems, he was somewhat childish and could not take any amount of criticism, he had a horrible temper. He was fond of saying "The only thing dumber than a f*#ckin pitcher is two f*#ckin pitchers" LOL.

Once when he was manager for the Senators/Rangers there was some kind of old timers game or hitting demonstration. Ted was not going to be involved. The crowd started chanting his name. He became enraged and said something to the effect "Them F*#kers want to see me huh? I'll F*#ckin show em" he then grabbed a bat, and as one of his players described, put on an unbelievable hitting display, crushing line drive after line drive all over the ballpark. He then slung the bat away and returned to the dugout.

The saddest part of his life was at the end when his son got involved in the memorabilia business and moved in with Ted. This is also the reason for the freezing of Ted's remains.

Looking forward to your analysis,

Joe >>

Some good stuff there!

Any big analysis is kind of far off in the horizon right now, life is busy.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally think Ruth has always been over rated. He was very very good, but I agree with the accessment here that Ted was better.

And how about Willie Mays as best all around player. Taking into account hitting power fielding and base stealing????
  • Options
    Yes have to agree Mays was the best all-around just ahead of Dimaggio, Musial and Aaron were up there too. Joe was also a great outfielder and base runner. Yankee Stadium REALLY hurt him though as he was not a pull hitter.

Don't think I would say Ruth was over rated though, he was a dominant pitcher and hitter during his time. There's no way of knowing how he would do in today's game.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Teddy Ballgame was the epitome of the American hero--legendary player who devoted several years of his prime to serve his country. Most certainly the greatest hitter of all time and arguably the greatest ever overall.

Speaking of former posters, whatever happened to TomGshotput? I see from his profile he had a US military email address and that he hasn't logged in here since 2012. Hopefully, he's okay.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.