Home Metal Detecting

DIGS O' THE DAY (2006-01-03): PLAYING TOOTH FAIRY

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
DIGS O' THE DAY (2006-01-03): PLAYING TOOTH FAIRY

My first treasure hunting expedition of 2006 did not involve a metal detector, and it was a very brief and casual affair. Though I'm calling it a "Digs O' The Day" outing as usual, there was actually no digging involved. I just picked the treasure up, in this case.

I was on my way to a job interview, so I was better dressed than I normally am when I'm out exploring. Obviously, a detector outing while dressed for business is out of the question, unless perhaps one is interviewing for a ditch digging job.

Finding myself with a little time to kill, I decided to see if I could pick up a few fossilized prehistoric shark teeth. There's a boat ramp behind the Golden Isles Marina on the Torras Causeway out to Saint Simons Island, and I had read that one could sometimes pick up fossil shark teeth in that area, beneath one of the big causeway bridges. A buddy of mine got me into hunting for fossil shark teeth some time ago, and it's a refreshing change of pace, since the only equipment you need for this endeavor is a sharp eye. Because shark teeth are often found in clean white sand above the water line on the beach, you can also do it while dressed in job interview clothing, as long as you watch your shoes.

Shark teeth, bits of whalebone, and other prehistoric fossils from both marine and land creatures can often be found in the sand here, particularly when it is dredge spoil that has been pulled up from the bottom of local waterways, when they deepen the shipping channels. I once watched as my pal Billy Ridenour pulled an enormous mastodon molar out of the muck, when we were mudlarking in some of the dredge spoil piles. (In addition to being an enviable relic hunter and skilled metal detectorist, Billy is a formidable fossil hunter, too.) Often this dredge spoil is used as fill dirt or to resurface unpaved roads in the county, so you never know where you're going to find some fossils.

On this day I walked the dry portion of the narrow little beach beneath the causeway bridge and picked up two tiny teeth, both fragmentary, but found no more. Up the embankment and directly beneath the bridge, I noticed a lot of sand that looked like it might have been dredge material, and in one of the washouts where the runoff from the road had carved little channels, I noticed tiny bits of fossilized material- a promising sign. Soon I picked up two more small teeth, very near each other. Often they're found in loose clusters. While none of the teeth I found this day were particularly big, one had some nice serrations on it, and it's fun to pick up multi-million-year-old fossils in such a short, casual stroll. It was a nice way to kill a few minutes, and a good way to relax prior to a job interview, though I had to pull a few sandspurs from my pants leg to be presentable when it was time to leave.

I didn't get the job I interviewed for that day, but it had been a gorgeous afternoon and I found some neat little fossils. I'm primarily a coin hunter, but I don't pass up the opportunity to seek other interesting "treasures" now and then. Hopefully there will be success on both the treasure hunting and job hunting fronts in the near future.

Small fossilized prehistoric shark teeth found near the Golden Isles Marina on January 3, 2006, beneath one of the F.J. Torras Causeway bridges.

A medium-sized fossil tooth of Carcharocles Megalodon, found in January, 2003 on Andrew's Island, near the Brunswick, GA waterfront. The Megalodon was an extinct ancestor of the Great White shark. These monsters would have been the size of buses or boxcars, and they fed on whales! This is one of the nicer teeth I've found, but not the largest: a couple of them were almost the size of my hand.

~RWS

INDEX OF DIG STORIES

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That large one is awesome LordM. I have found the small ones on NC beaches, but never a big one. And they are too expensive to buy. (Price = rarity, no question). Cheers, RickO
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's actually only a medium-sized Meg. But it's the nicest in terms of condition that I have found. They tend to get busted when they come up through the dredge pipes, I guess. But if it weren't for the dredge spoil piles we would have to dive to find those, like they do in SC. Diving in murky water where there are living sharks and where you can't see a hand in front of your face, and feeling along the mucky bottom to find giant shark teeth by braille doesn't sound like much fun. I'd rather pick 'em up off dry land. That one posted above was sittin' just as pretty as can be, totally exposed on the surface. It must have been washed out by the rain.

You probably remember the monster my buddy found last summer. That's probably a thousand-dollar tooth, or close to it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord M, It's good to see you posting on the MD forum againimage
  • Some really cool teeth.image
  • 86nova86nova Posts: 187 ✭✭