Home Sports Talk
Options

This should be good, albeit pathetic at the same time!!

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
.........................On Friday the nation is supposed to tune in to watch Woods make a carefully prepared statement in a carefully controlled environment. And the nation surely will, because we're fascinated with anything that has to do with the shockingly quick downfall of the man who, just a few months ago, was perhaps the most respected athlete in the world.

Those lucky enough to be invited should bring some tissues. Page 2 on the "I'm So Sorry" list carefully crafted by Tiger's people clearly calls for the obligatory shedding of tears, both by him and anyone he deigns to be in his presence. Don't bring any questions, though. Because Woods isn't answering.

Not about what really happened that night. Not about his marriage. Not about why he would kick a sponsor who dropped him by staging his show right in the middle of the golf tournament it still sponsors.

To Woods, it's still all about being in control. All about calling the shots. He believes he can market his comeback the same way Nike has long marketed his image. What he doesn't understand is that this is out of his control. The public has been duped once. Folks aren't keen to be duped again. He's no longer in charge of the message, and with good reason. Woods lied to the media, lied to his fans and deceived people who spent millions buying the products he hawked with a phony image.

Yes, he has every right to come back. Just don't sell it to us like some razor blades or shirts with a Swoosh on them...........................

I may be slow sometimes, but I'm not a freakin' idiot!!!!!image

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    once a douchebag, always a douchebag. Screw Tiger (everyone else seems to have done so)
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,749 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just read he's doing it to announce his "Tiger Does Dallas Cheerleaders" video available for $19.95
  • Options
    Of course.......espn treating it like the second coming of Christ
  • Options
    Cant believe a word he says.
  • Options
    "Woods lied to the media, lied to his fans and deceived people who spent millions buying the products he hawked with a phony image."

Honestly, have you EVER been standing in a store looking at a pack of razor blades or shoes and said to yourself "gee, Tiger says this is a good product, so im gona buy this one"? I seriously doubt that anyone has ever bought any product he endorsed JUST BECAUSE he endorsed it. A person would have to be softer than grapes if they did.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many many years ago my wife wanted to buy an automatic coffee maker. I saw the brands and told her we were going to buy a Mr. Coffee because Joe DiMaggio endorsed them.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He will never be in the same league as Sam Snead, Ben Hogan or Byron Nelson.

I hope that we have all learned that character matters more than winning and can not be bought or sold... However, it can be squandered through self indulgence as well as the unfounded and inept attitude that few self proclaimed stars have that they are invincible.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He will never be in the same league as Sam Snead, Ben Hogan or Byron Nelson.

yeah, themand another blonde headed guy by the name of Jack something-or-other.image
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember a couple years back suggesting that Tiger was not a slam dunk to eclipse Nicklaus' majors record and being laughed off the board...that possibility may not so remote now, though it's still likely he will do it.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>"Woods lied to the media, lied to his fans and deceived people who spent millions buying the products he hawked with a phony image."

Honestly, have you EVER been standing in a store looking at a pack of razor blades or shoes and said to yourself "gee, Tiger says this is a good product, so im gona buy this one"? I seriously doubt that anyone has ever bought any product he endorsed JUST BECAUSE he endorsed it. A person would have to be softer than grapes if they did. >>

People under 25 do that all the time. That's who is being marketed to by Tiger's sponsors.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Honestly, have you EVER been standing in a store looking at a pack of razor blades or shoes and said to yourself "gee, Tiger says this is a good product, so im gona buy this one"? I seriously doubt that anyone has ever bought any product he endorsed JUST BECAUSE he endorsed it. A person would have to be softer than grapes if they did. >>

Then why do you think well known people get paid hundreds of millions of dollars to promote products? EVERY DAY people go out and buy products because they are promoted by famous personalities. Is this even debatable?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.