Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

If you even think your a hobby expert, please take a look. What in the world do I have? (Update - S

I just bought a collection that was absolutely full of fun, misc. items. I would be interested in knowing if one of you can help me identify this issue. I will try to describe. A couple of pictures are below.

What I have here is uncut sheets that measure 12 1/8" x 9". I have 16 of these sheets, including the last sheet which has a checklist. I have not checked thoroughly, but I think I have them all. These are slick paper stock and appear to be from either 1954 or 1955. I base this on the fact that the Dodgers players have on a Brooklyn hat and they moved to LA in 1956. Also, Al Kaline is pictured, and his rookie year was 1953, but his first full year was 1954.

Take a look at the checklist. I includes baseball, basketball, football, and golf players. It has a young "Mickey C. Mantle", Willie Mays, Jackie Robinson, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Bob Cousey, etc.

What in the world do I have here? (My fingers are crossed).

Shane

Comments

• When I worked in the media, they used to have a version of this with executives at conferences. You could see a face, match it, then get the name from the paper. Perhaps this was given out to media types?
    Do You Collect image Baseball 1937,1965-94,2008-09?
    Or Regional Canadian Baseball Issues?
    Come be a contributor to the OPC Baseball Wiki. It's free and easy!
    OPeeChee.Wikispaces.Com
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    the Dodgers moved to LA for the '58 season, '57 they were still in Brooklyn.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    A year or so ago I had a contact with a woman who had this "set." She sent scans of all the various sheets with the baseball, football, other sports, etc.

My conclusion (best guess?) is that these were one of those pulp magazine/comic book come-ons, where they'd advertise "500 pictures of today's sports stars for $1.98." There were similar promotions with Hollywood figures.

Of course I can't lay my hands on an example of such ads now, but I remember them from the 1950s-1960s.
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>the Dodgers moved to LA for the '58 season, '57 they were still in Brooklyn. >>

I thought they moved in 1956 because Jackie Robinson didn't go with them. I just checked and he played until the 1956 season. I thought he quit in 1955. My bad.

Shane

Any idea as to value, Bob?

Shane

Ok. I'm taking a deep breath. I am very calm.....

OK. A seller can put any Buy It Now price they want on an item. Does anybody know if this is even remotely close to the value?

Shane

Nothing in the SCD by that name.

Shane

Wow! Check out this sellers other items.

Shane

• bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Ok. I'm taking a deep breath. I am very calm.....

OK. A seller can put any Buy It Now price they want on an item. Does anybody know if this is even remotely close to the value? >>

Well, he last updated that auction on Nov 18th, and first updated it on Oct 21st, so it isn't flying off the shelves at that price.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Wow! Check out this sellers other items. >>

Man!! That stuff brings back memories...
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
    Anybody else want to chime in?

Here is some of the sellers items listed with highest first. Looks like some pretty rare stuff. He has some Cardinals items that I need, but they are a little too expensive for me right now.

Link

Shane

• BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

OK. A seller can put any Buy It Now price they want on an item. Does anybody know if this is even remotely close to the value? >>

I recommend you put it on Ebay with a $.99 starting bid and let the market take over. That way you won't be cluttering anybody's searches with crazy BIN prices.

Hope this helps,
    Guy
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>the Dodgers moved to LA for the '58 season, '57 they were still in Brooklyn. >>

I thought they moved in 1956 because Jackie Robinson didn't go with them. I just checked and he played until the 1956 season. I thought he quit in 1955. My bad. >>

Actually, Jackie retired after the 1956 season. This was a result of his being traded to the NY Giants in December 1956. He refused the trade and retired.

Steve
  • swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    funny stuff right there Boo...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    no kidding. image
  • AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I recommend you put it on Ebay with a $.99 starting bid and let the market take over. That way you won't be cluttering anybody's searches with crazy BIN prices.

Hope this helps,
    Guy >>

LMAO
  • Columbia City Collectibles has got to be the king of the odd-ball market. They were at the National last year and have dozens of binders full of stuff. Pins, posters, discs, coins, stickers, superballs, etc. I have purchased a few items from them at a few shows, namely a 56 Yellow Basebath pin of Banks, and several 1970 Dayton Daily News "cards" of Aaron, Banks, Jackson, Gibson. Their items are premium priced (which is their right), but also why the bulk of their items sold on ebay are less than $50. Given what I've seen of their inventory at shows, I would imagine that they have less than a quarter of their inventory listed on ebay (I don't know how you would be able to list all the stuff they have).
    Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all "right-thinking" people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as “bad luck.”

<< <i>funny stuff right there Boo... >>

Funny, unless you are the recepient.

Shane

<< <i>

Funny, unless you are the recepient. >>

Oh, come on. I've always thought of you as one of the more thicker-skinned guys around here. If I thought you were one of the guys who pees their pants every time someone posts something even slightly acerbic I would have kept silent.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Oh, come on. I've always thought of you as one of the more thicker-skinned guys around here. If I thought you were one of the guys who pees their pants every time someone posts something even slightly acerbic I would have kept silent. >>

I didn't totally wet them. Just a little bit leaked out! I've changed now, and everything is hunky-dory!

Shane

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Oh, come on. I've always thought of you as one of the more thicker-skinned guys around here. If I thought you were one of the guys who pees their pants every time someone posts something even slightly acerbic I would have kept silent. >>

I didn't totally wet them. Just a little bit leaked out! I've changed now, and everything is hunky-dory! >>

Bravo! Look on the bright side- at least you didn't go 'George Brett' on us!

Best of luck with the sale; all kidding aside, I do hope you get a good price for it.
  • calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    I think the item is from 1954 . I know a little about every baseball player on the list. A few of the players had very narrow range of service. The players Karl Spooner and Ron Mrozinski- played 1954 -1955 only. Tookie Gilbert's last season was 1953.

Neat item--- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
    I just got an email back from the seller. I asked him the following -

Hi,

How rare is this set? Any information as to why this set is not in the SCD Standard Catalog? What might your bottom dollar be? Have there been any past sales that you are aware of? Thanks for your reply.

Here is his reply -

Hi - have no idea why it's not listed, it should be. (Perhaps I need to contact Lemke - used to do that pretty regularly, but not lately) It is multi sport, with sports overlapping on some pages. But one of those obscure, rare items that don't show up frequently. I can only recall seeing one set for sale in an auction many years ago (10-15, give or take), no recollection as to what it brought. Have seen singles on occasion on the internet. One set busted about 3 years ago, and a few stragglers, most off condition. This is 3rd set I've owned - in 25 years. Didn't even know for sure what to call it until I found the membership card & letter. Other than stories from a seller, as to his remembrances as a kid. Best I could do would be 1250.00 - pp....Thanks.

Apparently there is a membership card and letter that corresponds with it. That is how he knew what it was. I thought his reply was interesting.

Shane

It's not in the Standard Catalog because it is not a "card." The pictures have no names, no stats, no bios, etc. Maybe in the old days when there were two people working full-time on the big book and there were virtually unlimited pages to play with, it might have made the cut, but not today.

I have no idea of value, but I'd guess that a decent complete set in an Ebay auction would bring closer to $50 than to $1,250.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a cool item Shane.

The complete set for 1200 bucks is - IMO - way too much - not sure what would be fair - I'm thinking somehwere between 50 and 100 bucks - max. It's like having a magazine insert - from my take.

Would be interesting to see if ya put it up on ebay what it'll bring?

Good luck.
    Mike

<< <i>It's not in the Standard Catalog because it is not a "card." The pictures have no names, no stats, no bios, etc. Maybe in the old days when there were two people working full-time on the big book and there were virtually unlimited pages to play with, it might have made the cut, but not today.

I have no idea of value, but I'd guess that a decent complete set in an Ebay auction would bring closer to $50 than to $1,250. >>

I see your point. However, I bring this point out not to be argumentative or to "prop up" my item. There are plenty of items in the Standard that are not cards and that do not have stats and bios.

Shane

I just got confirmation from Hunt Auctions on a recent sale. There was a sale just last month at Hunt. They didn't even know what to call it. There was only 10 sheets of the 16. Some of the sheets had pin holes in them. I was pleasantly surprised what they brought. The final price was $880.00 plus juice. Mine is complete with no pin holes.

Shane

Well, Shane, I stand corrected. I guess in this hobby one man's trash is another's treasure. I hope they generate big bucks if/when you sell.
  • KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    Interesting. I would love to see how they wrote it up. What was the lot #?
    http://www.huntauctions.com/hunt.html
    It was an internet/phone auction which is not archived online. Daisy DeMarco, who works for Hunt Auctions, was very helpful in finding out the information. She emailed me the exact description and lot number from the January auction. She told me that the starting bid was $10.00 and it ended up going for $880 plus buyer's premium. With buyer's premium, it was well over $1,000. Here is what she emailed me.

Lot Number 336
    Description: Partial set of unknown issue player photographs in uncut sheets, many stars and HOFers, c.1953-1954. (PR/FR-NM) Incl. (10) 9"x12" uncut sheets each containing (32) mini player photos (cards). Includes baseball, basketball, and golf stars. Each photo is numbered, and includes #s 1-96 and 257-480. Missing #s 97-256. Includes George Mikan, Mickey Mantle, Ted Williams, Stan Musial, Willie Mays, Richie Ashburn, Pee Wee Reese, Jackie Robinson, Enos Slaughter, Al Kaline, Hoyt Wilhelm, Red Schoendienst, Duke Snider, Monte Irvin, Phil Rizzuto, Bob Feller, Early Wynn, Yogi Berra, Nellie Fox, Roy Campanella, Robin Roberts, Larry Doby, Eddie Mathews, Warren Spahn, Babe Zaharias, and many others. Full sheets grade VG/EX-EX overall, with individual cards grading PR/FR-NM depending on their location on sheet. Some pinholes are present, along with some small tears along a few corners and edges: PR/FR-NM

Shane

• I remember buying one sheet with basketball players several years ago, I don't remember the price, but I remember it was affordable.

The Columbia City prices, I would say they pay collector prices, then try to sell them at several times that price(500% to 1000%)

Looking for in PSA graded
    1. 75-76 Topps Keith/Jamaal Wilkes in Psa 8+
    2. 1971-72 Trio stickers PSA 8+
    3. BSKB 1977-78 topps psa 10

Basketball Autos
    1992 Courtside Flashback
    Action Packed HOF Autos(need elvin hayes,both bill bradley,and the 1st bill walton)
    2001 and 2005 Greats of the Game
    UD=retro,epic,legends,legendary,generations and chronology
    2006 Topps Style 1952 Fan Favorites Autos #/10 (Refractor Autos)
    Press Pass Legends

• << <i>Columbia City Collectibles has got to be the king of the odd-ball market. They were at the National last year and have dozens of binders full of stuff. Pins, posters, discs, coins, stickers, superballs, etc. I have purchased a few items from them at a few shows, namely a 56 Yellow Basebath pin of Banks, and several 1970 Dayton Daily News "cards" of Aaron, Banks, Jackson, Gibson. Their items are premium priced (which is their right), but also why the bulk of their items sold on ebay are less than $50. Given what I've seen of their inventory at shows, I would imagine that they have less than a quarter of their inventory listed on ebay (I don't know how you would be able to list all the stuff they have). >>

Columbia City has all types of oddball stuff...no always "overpriced" especially when you consider the supply of the stuff he has is nearly "him only". I've gotten many items from him in the past.
    Most complete single player collection: ULTIMATE MARK BRUNELL COLLECTION
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just got confirmation from Hunt Auctions on a recent sale. There was a sale just last month at Hunt. They didn't even know what to call it. There was only 10 sheets of the 16. Some of the sheets had pin holes in them. I was pleasantly surprised what they brought. The final price was $880.00 plus juice. Mine is complete with no pin holes. >>

Wow Shane - what a pleasant surprise!

Good luck on the sale - one thing about collectibles - it never ceases to amaze me!

Mike
  • I would not put that on eBay in any way. You have competition with the other one listed with a BIN and if you do auction, it probably won't fetch half of what it went for in the Hunt auction, because you have no eBay title for it. I would sell it through one of the big auction houses to get real attention from the people who are looking specifically for it or items like it. Like you said, yours is in better condition, so it should fetch a higher price. JMO

<< <i>I would not put that on eBay in any way. You have competition with the other one listed with a BIN and if you do auction, it probably won't fetch half of what it went for in the Hunt auction, because you have no eBay title for it. I would sell it through one of the big auction houses to get real attention from the people who are looking specifically for it or items like it. Like you said, yours is in better condition, so it should fetch a higher price. JMO >>

That is definitely a possibility, though I have never used an auction house. I've only bought from one. What are your thoughts on BIN/Best offer for a while at a much lower price then the other one? (Don't laugh, Boo!)

Shane

• << <i>

<< <i>Columbia City Collectibles has got to be the king of the odd-ball market. They were at the National last year and have dozens of binders full of stuff. Pins, posters, discs, coins, stickers, superballs, etc. I have purchased a few items from them at a few shows, namely a 56 Yellow Basebath pin of Banks, and several 1970 Dayton Daily News "cards" of Aaron, Banks, Jackson, Gibson. Their items are premium priced (which is their right), but also why the bulk of their items sold on ebay are less than $50. Given what I've seen of their inventory at shows, I would imagine that they have less than a quarter of their inventory listed on ebay (I don't know how you would be able to list all the stuff they have). >>

Columbia City has all types of oddball stuff...no always "overpriced" especially when you consider the supply of the stuff he has is nearly "him only". I've gotten many items from him in the past. >>

I would say just not overpriced, but way overpriced, in the collectible hobby how many sellers go for 80-90% profit per item?
    Looking for in PSA graded
    1. 75-76 Topps Keith/Jamaal Wilkes in Psa 8+
    2. 1971-72 Trio stickers PSA 8+
    3. BSKB 1977-78 topps psa 10

Basketball Autos
    1992 Courtside Flashback
    Action Packed HOF Autos(need elvin hayes,both bill bradley,and the 1st bill walton)
    2001 and 2005 Greats of the Game
    UD=retro,epic,legends,legendary,generations and chronology
    2006 Topps Style 1952 Fan Favorites Autos #/10 (Refractor Autos)
    Press Pass Legends

• << <i>

<< <i>I would not put that on eBay in any way. You have competition with the other one listed with a BIN and if you do auction, it probably won't fetch half of what it went for in the Hunt auction, because you have no eBay title for it. I would sell it through one of the big auction houses to get real attention from the people who are looking specifically for it or items like it. Like you said, yours is in better condition, so it should fetch a higher price. JMO >>

That is definitely a possibility, though I have never used an auction house. I've only bought from one. What are your thoughts on BIN/Best offer for a while at a much lower price then the other one? (Don't laugh, Boo!) >>

I always try to maximize my profit margin as much as possible, so eBay would not be the best choice for you with this particular item, IMO. But it certainly could not hurt to list it with a BIN/BO for a little while and see if you get any bites. It's clearly worth more than the $880 or so that other one got, but is it worth less than the one on eBay or more? That is the question.
    Just wanted to update everyone on the 1955 All American Sports Club set. I tried listing it on Ebay several weeks ago with a Buy It Now of $995 or best offer. No offers.

I recently contacted Hunt Auctions and they consigned it for me. Since the partial set a few months ago ended at $880 plus juice, I was slightly disappointed, but it did do fairly well. It ended Wednesday night for $575.00 plus juice. Not what I was hoping for, but it will do.

Shane

• fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭

<< <i>Anybody else want to chime in?

Here is some of the sellers items listed with highest first. Looks like some pretty rare stuff. He has some Cardinals items that I need, but they are a little too expensive for me right now.

Link >>

I see this is an old post....

I have seen the sheet of pics a few times over the years, no one really knows what it is. Someone showed one on net54 not long ago too.

I looked at the link to the sellers auctions (now) I always get a laugh out of his prices and descriptions, He like to guess alot IMO image

funniest one is the 2nd highest priced item...... The Wheaties Gehrig "card" is really a chopped down 1936 Series 4 card thats worth about $20 if that. He has a BIN of $7,500

• KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    Is this not a 1936 Series 4 Gehrig? http://sports.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=49115&Lot_No=45010&src=pr
    If you trim the 1936 Series card down to $20 size how do you explain CC's card's having white borders and different text at top.
    Any funny guess as to what it really is?
    That was me that showed the set on Net54.

Shane

• << <i>Anybody else want to chime in?

Link >>

The seller has some pretty rare stuff indeed! This guy set up at Nationals?

Ryan image
    1938 Cartledge Boxing cards psa 7 - psa 10
    1951 Topps Red backs psa 8 only!
    1960 Golden Press Presidential set Psa 8 's - Psa 9's
    1961 Golden Press psa 9's
    1976 Topps baseball psa 9 Stars
    1980 Kelloggs baseball Psa 9's - Psa 10's
    1988-1989 Fleer Basketball psa 9's
    1988-1989 Fleer Stickers psa 9's
    1989-1990 Fleer Basketball psa 10's
    1992 Coca-Cola Donruss Nolan Ryan 1-26 Psa 10 only Gpa 9.80++ E-mail Newyork00007@aol.com