Home U.S. Coin Forum

2009 Lincoln Proof toning

Anyone else surprised by the amount of toning in the Lincoln Proofs? Here are my two extremes, the top is from the Cents only proof set, the bottom from the full 2009 Proof set.

I notice that the ones in my Coins and Chronicles set seem toned as well. Did the Mint change something during production to limit toning in the Cents only proof sets? Or will they be toning soon enough?

Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spotting, toning, tarnish...all very common with 2009 cents, sadly. The Feb 15th CW has a story, "Mint report details 2009 cent tarnishing".

"...Tarnish affected not only the Satin Finish cents struck at the Denver and Philadelphia Mints for inclusion in the Uncirculated Mint set, but also the Proof cents struck at the SF Mint for inclusion in the 2009-S Proof Set and Lincoln Coin and Chronicles set..."

Lance.
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just checked all four of mine (one proof set - 3 cents only).
    Tarnish free for now.

edit spl.

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• << <i>Spotting, toning, tarnish...all very common with 2009 cents, sadly. The Feb 15th CW has a story, "Mint report details 2009 cent tarnishing".

"...Tarnish affected not only the Satin Finish cents struck at the Denver and Philadelphia Mints for inclusion in the Uncirculated Mint set, but also the Proof cents struck at the SF Mint for inclusion in the 2009-S Proof Set and Lincoln Coin and Chronicles set..."

Lance. >>

my two Lincoln Coin and Chronicles sets have started too...image

i was going to buy some spare sets but now i don't know, if all of them are likely to do this why bother.

• << <i>

<< <i>Spotting, toning, tarnish...all very common with 2009 cents, sadly. The Feb 15th CW has a story, "Mint report details 2009 cent tarnishing".

Lance. >>

my two Lincoln Coin and Chronicles sets have started too...image

i was going to buy some spare sets but now i don't know, if all of them are likely to do this why bother. >>

I have 2 Lincoln Chronicles: toned!
    2 US Mint Proof sets: toned!

I bought 2 Lincoln Bicentennial One Cent Proof Sets, they are fine for now.
    As per the Mint, they should have resolved the toning issue with these last ones.

I really hope so!
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah yes... tarnish... so much nicer when the terms used are accurate. image Cheers, RickO
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Higher copper content and more acid in the cardboard = fast toning..I bet we see the rascals start selling in a year.....

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    did they make some 100% copper?

or different composition on the clad/plated ?
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ah yes... tarnish... so much nicer when the terms used are accurate. image Cheers, RickO >>

.....i knew this post would perk you up, ricko! image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>did they make some 100% copper?

or different composition on the clad/plated ? >>

....proofs and mint sets were 95% copper and the individual 4 commemorative cent sets also. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭
    I thought the mint stated this somewhere that toning could result in the Lincolns because of the copper content. It might be on the COA but do remember them stating something about the Lincoln Cents.
  • JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    I can understand some toning over time, but in less than a year seems absurd. Especially since the Mint went to the trouble to produce the coins in 95% copper, for something like improper washing or acid in substandard packaging to cause premature toning (or tarnishing!) is a disappointment.

edited for grammar ...

Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file