Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Memorable utterances by forum members

Does anyone else do this? Occasionally when a forum member says something that strikes me I save it.

In a recent thread crypto79 said:

"I like circulated coins, it makes it feel like more of an artifact than art to me."

I really liked that. My main interest is history. Especially, but not only, ancient history. And my coin collecting came from that. I like having coins that were actually used by the people I read about. So I like them circulated. Even more modern US coins.

I thought crypto79 said it well so I've made it my new signature. With his permission. image

Just for fun I include some other sayings I've collected below.

If you're not listed it doesn't mean you haven't been memorable. image

Art Kagin used to say that what we really collect is stories, and that stories sell. What he meant, more or less, is that the coins don't mean all that much without the history behind them, and the more colorful the history, the better. From that perspective, it makes perfect sense that a coin is most appreciated when it looks like it popped right out of history and into our hands. The "originality" helps us connect to the coin's story. - MrEureka

"When a coin is cleaned or doctored, it loses its magical ability to transport me to its time of issue." - MrEureka

"The only good thing about being a colonial coin perfectionist is the small amount of space such a collection would take up." - MidLifeCrisis

"Still, I feel compelled to reiterate that the needless dipping of our national treasures is an outrage in most cases, and that artificial whitening is every bit as execrable as artificial toning. "

- Sunnywood

I give little regard to investment potential, bullion, precious metal content, etc.
I highly regard eye appeal, originality, surface quality, color, strike, rarity, history, etc.

- MidLifeCrisis

I used to like white, shiny coins, then I had an epiphany! - yellowkid

Numismatic worth is not in the price that something sells for. - EagleEye

Why is it when I see sandblast white classics they all look the same, nothing interesting, plain boring; and that is forgetting about the fact that most likely they were messed with. If you throw all of this into the equation for me it is a no brainer, its altered junk and a damn shame too. I only desire original surfaces, but at the same tiem I do realize that what I buy and own may have been tamperes with in the past so I never really know but at least I try to obtain the most original looking ones. Anything other than original isn't worth owning.

- Realone

It's a downright shame that our coins from 210 years ago are more artistic than those of today.

- giorgio11

... because of there somewhat crude nature... and age... there can be quite a difference in look from one coin to another within a series. This gives a certain uniqueness to each coin and makes each one that much more special... that's how i see it anyways.

- Spacemonkey on colonials
I collect history in the form of coins.

Comments

• Options
    coinhead1 had many utterances, but almost nobody knew what he was talking about.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "...the nickel is in the other hand."

I forget who stated that, in response to a riddle.

peacockcoins

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to like white, shiny coins, then I had an epiphany! - yellowkid

you got the above one wrong, so i've corrected it!!image

I used to like white, shiny coins, then I had an epiphany! - ricko
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the kindom of coinalot, the Knights are unhappy...

Sir Legend: This armor is too tight! It constricts! It does not fit! How I am to kill peasants in this!
    Sir Wondercoin: 'Tis just so! Look my arms! I can hardly raiseth them! How am I to drop an axe upon their skulls! Too tight! I SAY IT IS TOO TIGHT!
    Sir TDN: Me thinks if the royal forge does not stop making armor too tight, I shall go to The Kingdom of Sleep, where they make armor of a higher grade. Loosely, and that which befits a Knight!
    Sir Legend: Here, Here!
    Sir Wondercoin: Here, Here!
    Sir TDN: (staring at Sir EVP) Well....????
    Sir EVP: Oh... oh yes, HERE! HERE!!!

Meahwhile in the castle courtyard...

Sir Pushkin: Look at that ugly banner Lord Anaconda has draped upon the turret- "Pretty Castle-Courtesy of Lord Anaconda" It strikes me as advertising most foul!
    Sir Agentjim007: Just chilleth. Save thy anger for something of import. I have learned this wisdom over many years....

Squire Mbbiker comes running up

Squire Mbbiker: Good Sirs! Sir Legend is saying the new armor is too tight! And it is not fit for killing peasants in!
    Sir Agentjim007: (enraged) BY THE GODS!!! (grabbing biker by the throat and shaking) ME THINKEST I SHALL PUKETH! WHAT FOUL REPORT IS THIS!!!!
    Squire Mbbiker: Gaaaaakkkkkk....gaak!
    Sir Pushkin: Good Jim!!! Sir Jim!!! CHILLETH!
    Sir Agentjim007: (roaring) KILLETH!!! KILLETH!!!
    Squire Mbbiker: (choking out words) He... said... chill--eth....

PUT HIM DOWN!!!!!

The tussle is stopped. All look up to see his Majesty King ArtR

King ArtR: Do not kill my messenger, Sir AgentJim. And please, wipe the spittle from thy cheek.
    Sir Agentjim007: (bowing) Your Majesty! It is just... he brings most sorry news. The other Knights complaining the armor is too tight! Last year it was too loose! Next year it will probably be the wrong color! Let me smite them your Majesty, for they are a threat to the Kingdom!
    King ArtR: (laughing) And why would that be so, Sir Jim?
    Sir Agentjim007: They foster discontent, your Majesty.
    Sir Baseball: They are scoundrels, your Highness!
    Sir NumisEd: Cold blooded!
    Sir Baseball: The armor already gives them unfair advantage over the peasants. And now it is too tight? 'Tis NOT!
    Sir Agentjim007: Your Majesty, by proclaiming the armor too tight, they undermine the morale of the entire castle!
    King ArtR: (laughing heartily) I think not. Many here can see that the armor is not too tight, it is merely the Knights have grown too fat.
    The Archbishop of Coinguy1 (troubled) Your Majesty... surely you are joking?
    King ArtR: Am I? .... But of course I am. Let us ask the castle madman... Madmarty what sayest thou?

.Madmarty scurries forth. He is a choatic collection of rags, bags and tangled hair. He begins to sing

Once there was a happy Knight
    His armor was just right
    It never seemed too loose to him
    Nor did it seem too tight
    A potato he kept in his crotch
    To keep it nice and warm--

King ArtR: SILENCE!!!!
    Jester Shiroh: Has potential, your Majesty.

King ArtR turns and addresses the crowd

King ArtR: Citizens of coinalot! ...The armor is what it is. Work with it.

He exits

Karl of Dork: (turning to the crowd) Ya know... the problem with the armor is it only protects fifty percent of you! Sure, if you take a lance to the---

The crowd sets upon him and rips him limb from limb

Squire Airplanenut: Cool

Clankeye
    The Bard
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    I miss Coinalot.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I used to like white, shiny coins, then I had an epiphany! - yellowkid

you got the above one wrong, so i've corrected it!!image

I used to like white, shiny coins, then I had an epiphany! - ricko >>

It took me a minute keets. image
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm flattered that you not only read my posts, but actually remember some of them! image

"The only good thing about being a colonial coin perfectionist is the small amount of space such a collection would take up." - MidLifeCrisis (Actually, I borrowed this one from John Kraljevich - Pistareen - and used it in my sig line for a while, with his permission. image )
  • Options
    My personal favorite, and one that I would almost be willing to pay him for is:

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking"

Goldbully (alias General George S. Patton, Jr.)
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Russ (coin feringi) has more than I could count.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    So many denizens of the original Coinalot hath left the Kingdom,
    tis a sadness truly of momentous proportion. Especially the absence
    of the creator and author of the concept of, Tales of Coinalot, Sir Clankeye. He
    was a man of infinite jest and wit and in his presence, is sorely missed by
    the people of the realm. We are all the poorer for his absence, as no assistant,
    apprentice , associate, fill- in can due right justice to his most noble creations.
    Sir Clankeye was to joyous merriment ,what a smile is to laughter.

Mourn we must, for once upon a golden time, there was a wonderous place
    called Coinalot. Beyond even the fair and far off shore of Avalon, now hidden
    by the magical mists of time and space.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭
    Actually Bear, when I went to post my list I was surprised that I didn't have one from you on it. image

Again, these are just a few of many sayings that I liked. It goes without saying that this forum is so full of wisdom, (And sometimes other things. image), it would fill a book.

• Options

Thread Title: Memorable utterances by forum members

Great topic.....I see this going 500+.........image

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Too many clowns in the volkswagen"

(comment by SaintGuru after a member sent in a bunch of colorful toned coins for grading, and some were bagged for ?toning)
  • Options
    "Right you are, Mr. Sperber!"
    (retort from RYK to TDN, as I recall)
  • Options
    I made a memorable utterance once, but I can't remember what it was.

Ray
  • Options
    I have always remembered this one for some reason:

This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember a posting long ago by someone that stated:

"This homerunhall guy seems to talk about PCGS as if somehow he created it or is the know-it-all expert about it. Have you ever even hear of him? Probably just another wise-guy!"

That thread was deleted long ago.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    Can we include things said to me by other forum members at shows?

"I can't believe they didn't ban you" - TomB

"You are completely and utterly out of your mind" - SeaEagleCoins

"Come on, I can find something for you to spend your money on" - MFH
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    Well,

there is one, from me! I never dared use it in context, but I will now out of context. "Your icon is perfect."

Eric
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "If I can't buy it, I can make it."
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm almost embarrased to say, since there have been so many valuable and worthwhile utterances by many members, that one of my all time favs was in response to someone posting mediocre pictures of some less than special coin, with the title 'Do I Get a You Suck Award?'....one of the responses was 'Well, I think your pictures SUCK'.....I think I sprayed my monitor with particles of whatever I had been eating when I read that one!
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought I had an utterance once... but it was just gas. image

Scarsdale Coin asked me if they could use one of mine in their print ads. IIRC, it was from my 10,000th post. Let me see if I can find it.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes, you have to pay too much for a coin. As long as it’s the right coin, that’s ok. In fact, for the right coin you almost always have to pay ‘too much’. The secret is in knowing which are the right coins and which are the wrong ones.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Too many clowns in the volkswagen"

(comment by SaintGuru after a member sent in a bunch of colorful toned coins for grading, and some were bagged for ?toning) >>

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There have been alot of good ones - thanks for the memories, especially Clankeye.

The one below is still my favorite. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>REMEMBER THAT OLD COIN IS ONLY WORTH FEW DOLLARS IN PHYSICAL MATERIAL VALUE - THIS IS WHY VALUE IS AN ESOTERIC CONCEPT IN MANY WAYS AND IT MAY BE VULGAR TO ASSIGN ANY MONETARY VALUE TO OLD COIN UNLESS YOU ARE A RUSSIAN OLIGARCH OR CHINESE SHODDY GOODS FACTORY OWNER

bongobongo >>

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    I'm honored to have said something that you thought enough of to bookmark, I won't do that again..image
  • Options

<< <i>"If I can't buy it, I can make it." >>

He makes money the old fashioned way -- he mints it.

"I'm too busy making money to make any money."
    ~Ron Landis to JSG Boggs
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I remember a posting long ago by someone that stated:

"This homerunhall guy seems to talk about PCGS as if somehow he created it or is the know-it-all expert about it. Have you ever even hear of him? Probably just another wise-guy!"

That thread was deleted long ago. >>

Oh, I remember that one well. One of the funniest posts ever until it went bye bye.

There have been a number of classics. I now wish I'd kept a running list of them over the years.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    See my sig line. Most of my favorite posts end up in threads that get deleted.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    The most memorable utterance was by Bongo Bongo:
    I am rolling down the highway of life on bald, overinflated
    retread tires." Now that really sums up most of our lives.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Timely thread in that I was recently received a piece that put me in mind of this quote ............

"BTW, there are plenty of dogs in PR69DCAM holders." Russ

-----------------

Here's a few more;

How about some down home Forum Philosophy....
    "When all is said and done, the dollar value of your collection should turn out to be a whole lot of icing on the cake--not the cake itself. "Mercfan

A Thought for the Day.....
    "Paper dollars are not scarce. But everybody still wants them."dcarr

Here Captain Obvious turns a phrase for us....
    "Collecting paper is as different from coins as say, collecting anvils." drsvenghali

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rule #1 on Mr. Feld's collecting tips from his website: "Buy/collect what YOU like."

That one has stuck with me as a new collector looking for direction to my collection. (Hey look - I rhymed!)
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes I read posts from Alts and it always brings me back to Bongo Bongo, idiot savant.

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

Old Thread Alert- Dogwood

We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old thread, but brings back great memories... I miss Bear....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my favorites was told to me by
    well-known NY dealer Lester Merkin:

"Sometimes the opportunity to Buy a
    rare coin is rarer than the coin"

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lewy said:
    My personal favorite, and one that I would almost be willing to pay him for is:

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking"

Goldbully (alias General George S. Patton, Jr.)

Or as my recently departed neighbor would say, "I taught him everything I know and he still doesn't know anything." RIP Charlie.

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

This resurrected thread definitely deserves....

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@laserart said:
    coinhead1 had many utterances, but almost nobody knew what he was talking about.

Reminds me of a certain Colonel. ;)

• Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭

+1

BONGOBONGO, Bear & Clankeye (Coinalot) !!!

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Russ (coin feringi) has more than I could count.

Absolutely! Russ was always good for the quote. Always had good advice, too.

"Don't Feed the Nerds" - Russ (Quoted in a recent post).

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

Every so often it's nice to take a trip down memory lane.

A good friend once told me "It's OK to glance at the past, but you shouldn't stare."

• Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

SaintGuru

There were five of us in two cabs rushing to the SMITHSONIAN!!!

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

that was a Saint classic.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

‘Monster RAINBOW TONED PCGS MS67 Barber halves are doomed to their rightful place of secondary importance, in a world where flowers and beautiful women abound’

Dave99B (slight Albert Einstein plagiarism)

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

@Dave99B said:
    ‘Monster RAINBOW TONED PCGS MS67 Barber halves are doomed to their rightful place of secondary importance, in a world where flowers and beautiful women abound’

Dave99B (slight Albert Einstein plagiarism)

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aha
    I recognize this old thread

How about
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity" Opus

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file