Home Sports Talk
Options

dennis rodman: hof worthy?

2010 nba hof nominations

rodman nominated.

hope he gets in.

Comments

• Options
    You really think he was better than Artis Gilmore?
    Tom
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On defense HOF. On offense I think I could have guarded him.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    One of the greatest 1 on 1 defenders and rebounders ever to play
    Collector of anything and everything of the Dallas Cowboys
  • Options
    TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    The Ozzie Smith of basketball.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    i think he belongs in
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    yes indeed.
  • Options

<< <i>The Ozzie Smith of basketball. >>

Or the Deion Sanders of basketball...

I think he goes in.

Snorto~
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    No way.
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Wasn't he mentioned in the movie 'Men in black" ?

Great defender .

Horrible role model.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I am not too involved in Basketball, but come playoffs, he was the guy the bulls were happy to have.

Wasn't he too erratic to have built a HOF career. I mean, a few stellar seasons are not enough, one had to put a string of them together, which takes a lot of discipline, commitment, and staying healthy. Getting married to Carmen, having all those wild parties in New Port Beach, hanging out with Madonna....was that not too distracting to string together a HOF career? Answer that and then you will know the answer.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭
    Depends on what the Basketball Hall of Fame's stance is on personal conduct. In baseball's HOF, the ballot rules specifically say that it along with off-the-field issues are grounds for consideration, for better or for worse. Whereas football's HOF is just as specific about those sorts of things not being taken into consideration.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    I was a HUGE fan of Rodman during his prime...with the pistons and bulls (lakers weren't his prime, lol).

-He had some of the highest rebounding in 20 years during the 90's. I forget how many rebounding titles, but he was a monster. The NBA hasnt seen a rebounder like him since.

-Major defender. The Ozzie Smith analogy is accurate.

On rebounding and defense he should get in. Also 5 rings, 2 with the pistons, 3 with the bulls.

• Options

<< <i> Also 5 rings, 2 with the pistons, 3 with the bulls. >>

I say yes, he gets in.
  • Options
    The more I think about it, the more certain Rodman falls short of the Hall-of-Fame

The more I think about it, the Ozzie Smith comparison seems more and more ridiculous

Always liked the question "if he was the best player on the team, could that team have made the playoffs?"

If there was an NBA team with Dennis Rodman as its best player I would have to say doubtful. And more than half the teams make the playoffs. When Ozzie Smith was not only the best player on the Cardinals, but also the best player in the NL -- 1987 -- they went to the World Series
    Tom
  • Options
    TomG,

The reason why the Ozzie Smith analogy doesn't work is for a different reason...

A NON pitcher in baseball does not have near the defensive impact as that of a basketball player.

Defense may be half the game in baseball, but the ability of the pitcher comprises most of that defensive value.

Rodman's offesne wasn't that great at first view, but offensive rebounding is part of offense, and he was great at that. He could also pass well, and worked well into the framework of the team's offense.

He had a career .521 FG percentage. Yeah, I know, they are close shots...but it is a sign that he took high percentage shots(and that is good too).

Defensively Magic Johnson gets all this praise for playing all five positions in that one post season, but Rodman could actually defend multiple positions, and defend them well.

Are you sure about that five minutes!?
  • Options
    Unfortunately Wallace and Mutombo haven't been eligible, as those would be the best comparisons. And Mutombo actually had some offensive value

Dennis Johnson was a great defensive player and had significantly more offensive value ... and not in the Hall-of-Fame

In Detroit Rodman was truly a shut-down defender and could match up with nearly anyone on the court. By Chicago he was a rebounder. Half of rebounding is having the guy miss the shot and if he was positioning himself to grab a rebound by doing less to ensure a missed shot that is good defense, not great. Offensive rebounds are always a huge advantage. But if Rodman was poor enough offensively, a forward on the other team could help with double teams leading to more missed shots and more rebounding opportunities, even if it came as a detriment
    Tom
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>TomG,

The reason why the Ozzie Smith analogy doesn't work is for a different reason...

A NON pitcher in baseball does not have near the defensive impact as that of a basketball player.

Defense may be half the game in baseball, but the ability of the pitcher comprises most of that defensive value.

Rodman's offesne wasn't that great at first view, but offensive rebounding is part of offense, and he was great at that. He could also pass well, and worked well into the framework of the team's offense.

He had a career .521 FG percentage. Yeah, I know, they are close shots...but it is a sign that he took high percentage shots(and that is good too).

Defensively Magic Johnson gets all this praise for playing all five positions in that one post season, but Rodman could actually defend multiple positions, and defend them well. >>

Geez, a .521 on what amounts to mostly put-backs?? Not too hot, is it??
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The Ozzie Smith of basketball. >>

Or the Deion Sanders of basketball. >>

Or the Felix Potvin of basketball
  • Options
    I don't know if Rodman was indeed the best defender in basketball...that is up for debate.

However, the best defender in basketball has far more value than the best NON pitcher defender in baseball. Hence, if he is one of the best defenders in basketball history, it would carry more weight than Ozzie's in baseball.

Rodman was not that great of an offensive player, no doubt.

However,
    Rodman gets picked on for his 'poor' offense, but that usually stems from his low scoring average. His .521 was partly a result of put backs, but it is also because he didn't take a lot of ill advised shots(and that is good).

His ability to fit within the framework of an offense is something that is overlooked when his offense is being slammed. Tex Winter often praised him for his ability to play within the offense, and that he was a plus, not a negative.
  • Options
    No one has said their defensive weight was equal. All anyone said is that they are analogous and I disagreed. Rodman, representing 20% of the defense was much greater weight than Smith representing less than 5%. But Smith had a bat in his hands over 10 000 times and Rodman made his way to the offensive side of the court nearly every possession. Smith was definitely a better hitter than the average shortstop in the league; Rodman's offense was easily below the average starting forward

Not taking ill-advised, low percentage shots is good. Passing up the chance to take a shot the league would average 48% on is not good
    Tom
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>

His ability to fit within the framework of an offense is something that is overlooked when his offense is being slammed. Tex Winter often praised him for his ability to play within the offense, and that he was a plus, not a negative. >>

What Winter meant was that, with Jordan and Pippen on the floor, it was great to have a 5th guy that didn't need plays run for him. The fact is that the only reason defenses didn't ignore him totally was that they had to keep a body near him to keep him off the boards. Whenever he would drift outside the paint, he was roundly ignored.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

They might not vote him in because they are afraid he will go to the induction ceremony in a dress.
  • Options
    Or he might kick one of the cameramen covering the induction in the crotch.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    Could only hope if he does get in, he dyes his hair fluorescent green on induction day!
  • Options
    Think he will get in, just not 1st ballot. One of the best rebounders the game has ever seen, should mean something to the voters.
  • Options
    TheCARDKidTheCARDKid Posts: 1,496
    I think the Ozzie Smith analogy is valid. Basically, you can get in the hall of fame on defense.

-With the playoff question, "if this person was the best player on the team, could they make the playoffs". I dont think that'd be the case with some of the weaker nba hall of famers, like joe dumars, slater martin, etc. If Joe Dumars can make the hall, why not rodman?

-On the defense question, he's listed at 6'8. He was guarding and defending guys MUCH bigger in the paint. He could defend against a 7'0 280 lb'er and out rebound him. The Ozzie Smith analogy doesnt work with height and weight. But Rodmans defensive range and ability was far behind his height, weight and the position he played.

Ozzie Smith offensively is a wash against all hof'ers (.262 batting average, 28 home runs, 793 rbi). Rodman offensively is a wash, 6,000 points, .521 fg percentage).

But 2x defensive player of the year and 7x all defensive first time (8 total) is analogous to smith's 13x gold gloves and his lifetime fielding statistics.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    I think he's in...and no one has mentioned the real BASKETBALL precedent...K.C. Jones. K.C. was said to be the best defender at the guard position in his day.

K.C. put up 7/3/4 for his entire career and was a lock down defender on a team that didn't need his offense (why would you with Sam Jones and John Havlicek shooting). And he's in the HOF.

It's the same with Rodman. Rodman's career numbers are 7/13/2, but none of his teams needed him to shoot. And by the way, yes, his offensive game stunk - but he was still a 52% FG shooter for his career. That means he put home baskets a TON from the offensive glass.

You do not have to be the best player on your team to be in the basketball HOF. If you did, none of the Celtics during the Russell era or none of the Lakers from Magic's era would be in.

Rodman was an ultimate team guy regardless of his crazy personal life. The guy led the league in rebounding for 7 straight years (including a ridiculous 18+/game for two straight years). i don't think they kept +/- for most of his career, but I would guess that he would be one of the all time leaders in that stat if they did.

To me, he is not just a Hall of Famer, but an easy Hall of Famer.

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK...so he did NOT get in last year. What do you think about him getting in this year?
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He'll never get in. Had he maintained the offensive proficiency he showed early in his career - he averaged 11.6 pts in 1987-88 - he'd be a HOF'er for sure. But, then again, he also intentionally stopped trying to play offense just to get more rebounds, so who knows? In college, he was a tremendous scorer - he averaged nearly 26 pts a game for his entire three-year career at NAIA Southeastern Oklahoma. But he eventually quit trying. Heck, one year he shot 32% from 3-pt range for the Pistons - with over 100 tries. So there WAS skill there but...

No, he's not a HOF'er.

Tabe
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    I think he belongs in the HOF because of how great a rebounder and a defender he was.
    Stat guys will never go for him, but he wasn't just an elite rebounder and defender he was one of the best of the best and that includes guys already in the hall.

TomGshotput - D.J. got in the Hall last year
  • Options
    zendudezendude Posts: 208 ✭✭
    Yes. He is one WEIRD dude, but he should get in. The Basketball Hall of Fame is lame as far as I'm concerned because they've let in so many borderline players.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I still don't see it... unless it's the National Hall of Fame of Rebounders. In that case yes!
  • Options
    It looks as though Rodman's defensive abilities are being undervalued a bit...not the rebounding portion...but the guarding and stopping of the other team's top dog.

When he was with the Pistons he did very well guarding Michael Jordan , holding him down, making him take poor percentage shots.

When he was with the Bulls, I recall him guarding Shaq, doing a nice job, and even getting under Shaq's skin and frustrating him.

The fact that he was capable of guarding two offensive players who were on such different ends of the playing spectrum, and both whom happen to be considered the best offensive players at their positions by many...is really quite remarkable.

If there were a basketball player that could guard any shape/size/position on the basketball court...and do it it well, it was Rodman.

The baseball comparisons being used aren't accuate. If you want to make it accurate to a baseball defensive comparison...you would have to equate him with a pitcher...because that is the only position in baseball that can have the direct defensive impact in neutralizing or stopping the other team's best offensive players, that Rodman exhibited on the basketball court.

Bking, Rodman did indeed know how to work in the framework of a team's offense...and he did it well. It may not have materialized in the form of his points or assists, but he worked well in the Bull's offense in having good offensive court sense.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HOF worthy?

Not even HALF worthy.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    Dennis has told people that he was informed he'd been elected to the HOF.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nba/news/story?id=6280389

Tabe
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Dennis!
  • Options
    I do not think he is a Hall of Famer. He is very close and while the rebounding stats are impressive, to me, they are not conclusive proof that he belongs. People have made the case that you have to see him play to appreciate all of the defensive plays he made that do not show up in the stats. And I agree, he was an excellent defensive player. But for much of his career his offense was non-existant. And what bothers me the most is that he gave up trying to play on the offensive end.

I have seen many occasions when he received a pass, he looked to get rid of it immediately, as if it were a bomb. He did not even try to make a play, just to get rid of the ball as soon as he could. Also on many offensive rebounds, when he could have gone up for a put back, he looked to pass the ball back out.

For me, his lack of trying on the offensive end keeps him out of my hall of fame.
    Always looking for T59 Flags.
  • Options

<< <i>I do not think he is a Hall of Famer. He is very close and while the rebounding stats are impressive, to me, they are not conclusive proof that he belongs. People have made the case that you have to see him play to appreciate all of the defensive plays he made that do not show up in the stats. And I agree, he was an excellent defensive player. But for much of his career his offense was non-existant. And what bothers me the most is that he gave up trying to play on the offensive end.

I have seen many occasions when he received a pass, he looked to get rid of it immediately, as if it were a bomb. He did not even try to make a play, just to get rid of the ball as soon as he could. Also on many offensive rebounds, when he could have gone up for a put back, he looked to pass the ball back out.

For me, his lack of trying on the offensive end keeps him out of my hall of fame. >>

I would agree with this. Early in his career, and in college, he showed some offensive game. Then he just quit trying. Heck, there were more than a few accusations that he intentionally missed shots on putbacks just to pad his rebound numbers.

I saw Dennis' entire prime playing in Detroit and Chicago. At his peak, he was GREAT defensively and rebounding. He could guard literally anyone. But as a black hole on offense, I think that hurts him enough to not be a HOF'er.

Tabe
  • Options

<< <i>I I have seen many occasions when he received a pass, he looked to get rid of it immediately, as if it were a bomb. He did not even try to make a play, just to get rid of the ball as soon as he could. Also on many offensive rebounds, when he could have gone up for a put back, he looked to pass the ball back out.
    . >>

In the world of the NBA where everyone wants to shoot and score, this attribute of Rodman may actually be a positive. Maybe that is why his team's were always good.

I also want to add that I am in the mood to eat some P u s s y...and maybe even some arse...also that rubbing whiskey on them makes it taste really good.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I I have seen many occasions when he received a pass, he looked to get rid of it immediately, as if it were a bomb. He did not even try to make a play, just to get rid of the ball as soon as he could. Also on many offensive rebounds, when he could have gone up for a put back, he looked to pass the ball back out.
    . >>

In the world of the NBA where everyone wants to shoot and score, this attribute of Rodman may actually be a positive. Maybe that is why his team's were always good.

I also want to add that I am in the mood to eat some P u s s y...and maybe even some arse...also that rubbing whiskey on them makes it taste really good. >>

Nice
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I do not think he is a Hall of Famer. He is very close and while the rebounding stats are impressive, to me, they are not conclusive proof that he belongs. People have made the case that you have to see him play to appreciate all of the defensive plays he made that do not show up in the stats. And I agree, he was an excellent defensive player. But for much of his career his offense was non-existant. And what bothers me the most is that he gave up trying to play on the offensive end.

For me, his lack of trying on the offensive end keeps him out of my hall of fame. >>

I would agree with this. Early in his career, and in college, he showed some offensive game. Then he just quit trying. Heck, there were more than a few accusations that he intentionally missed shots on putbacks just to pad his rebound numbers.

I saw Dennis' entire prime playing in Detroit and Chicago. At his peak, he was GREAT defensively and rebounding. He could guard literally anyone. But as a black hole on offense, I think that hurts him enough to not be a HOF'er.

Tabe >>

you guys are insane
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    I also want to add that I am in the mood to eat some P u s s y...and maybe even some arse...also that rubbing whiskey on them makes it taste really good

Are you using the whiskey as an antiseptic? Or did you acquire the taste in prison? image
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Rodman was an ultimate team guy regardless of his crazy personal life. The guy led the league in rebounding for 7 straight years >>

+1. My sentiments exactly. His HOF candidacy shouldn't be in question. He's an easy YES.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>For me, his lack of trying on the offensive end keeps him out of my hall of fame. >>

Really. You have your own hall of fame?
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    i think so, great rebounder and defensive player. didnt care about scoring and played on a lot of title winners
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

<< <i>>>>>>>>>>> They might not vote him in because they are afraid he will go to the induction ceremony in a dress. >>

P.S. A great defensive role player, but a Hall of Famer? Nope!

• Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

Reggie Miller was not a nominee for the hall of fame, this being Reggie's first year of eligibility,

and why not image

I thought he would be a lock for the hall?

rd
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not know about him getting into the NBA Hall Of Fame (great rebounder and defender but not an offensive threat at all, probably by choice); however, with some of his clothing choices, hair color choices, body art, body piercings, and off court activities/statements I have no doubt that he would be a lock for the "Hall Of Flame".
  • Options
    happy birthday Dennis
  • Options
    Happy birthday Dennis!