Home Precious Metals
Options

I guess there was something wrong with me when I was a wee little YN...

Now that I look back on my purchases, I found that the only two bullion bars that I've owned were both damaged!!

As a kid, I've always been fascinated with silver hallmarks, and am still quite fascinated with them. One day, while walking around a coin show, I saw this neat, lonely little silver bar in a dealer's case, with what I thought had gigantic hallmarks, as all the other ones I've seen were tiny compared to this. It was not in very good condition, but the dealer told me that the best he could do for me was at a few cents under spot -- at a whopping $20, and I was immediately sold on it! I did have interest in bullion since then, but any bullion I've bought was in form of rounds, jewelry, or household stuff. Until 5 Engelhard 1 oz bars came in the mail this week from a forum member, this was the lone silver bar in my collection!

This one, I won off a bid board for $5.50:

Just recently, I've learned that there is some premium on bars, especially on name brand stuff. I saw that there is a small premium on Engelhard bars. Being in the condition it's in, with what appears to be a dent on the front and engraving on the back, is there still any premium in this piece? I've looked on eBay on several occasions, and have not seen any 100 gram bars from Engelhard, the closest thing I've found was a half-kilo.

It appears that now I've caught the silver bug and I'm craving for more Engelhard 1 oz bars!

Thanks for any help,
Ben
-Ben T. * Collector of Errors! * Proud member of the CUFYNA

Comments

• Options
    It looks cool, I like it. The condition might eat into the premium, but I think you can do better than spot.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    too bad the 100 grammer has a name scratched in the back. Its still worth a hefty premium on ebay.

Agblox had a bunch of those 100 grammers, different variations too!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    AgBloxAgBlox Posts: 744 ✭✭
    That top bar will still sell for $100-$150. The gold melt at best.
  • Options
    nogales is in arizona i think right on the border with mexico
    Rick - coin guy
  • Options
    You have to keep that gold bar, it suits you! After all, your name is Ben T. and the bar is bent! Oh the irony...