Home Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways
Options

Oscar related coin giveaway (since its a week away)

There is a coin connection with the actual answer. But since I would be giving you great, great help in telling you what you were to win, then I must just say read on and see if you can figure it outimage

There has only been 3 actors which have been nominated (to the very best of my knowledge) for playing the same role in two different films. The more "obvious" one is Al Pacino as Michael Corleone in the first two Godfather movies (though it was supporting actor in I and actor in II) And now I found out there is another one, Paul Newman (see below) and the person who brought it to my attention shall recieve a prize for that answer. But there is another actor who has played the same character in two non-related movies (i.e. they weren't part of two movies, a sequel or anything like that) and that actor has received two oscar nominations for playing the same character. Now to win, please tell me the actor, the character and the two movies?

Since it is rather obscure I will help you out a bit.
1. The actor sadly has never won an Academy Award though he should have for probably all of his nominations.
2. The "character" has been on coins.
3. The winner will receive a coin(s) "related" to the character in question

Post your guesses below and we'll see if someone winsimage
Jared

Must end life...in classic Lorne Green pose...from 'Battlestar Galactica'...best...death...ever!"

-Comic Book Guy

Comments

• Options
    The actor is Paul Newman.
    The charactor is "Fast" Eddie Felson
    And the movies are " The Hustler" and "The Color Of Money"

Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    Ok I did screw upimage. Besides Al Pacino and now Paul Newman there was another one. But since he is playing the same character in what is considered a semi-sequal that is not who I was looking for(or even thought of). But since you brought it up to my attention Terry, you shall win something equal to what I was going to give away.

So there is one more answer still left.

So I will give one more hint, the said character is/was a real person.
    Jared

Must end life...in classic Lorne Green pose...from 'Battlestar Galactica'...best...death...ever!"

-Comic Book Guy
  • Options
    hookedoncoinshookedoncoins Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭
    Bing Crosby for portraying Father Chuck O'Malley in Going My Way (1944) and The Bells Of St. Mary's (1945).

-Jarrett Roberts
  • Options
    Hi,

Seeing that the character doesn't seem to have anything to do with coins, I thought I should use Peter O'Toole was nominated for playing King Henry II in Beckett (1964) and The Lion In Winter (1968), however both could be answers.

-Jarrett Roberts
  • Options
    Internet to the Rescueimage

Would you believe I got this question five times in one week? Apparently it was on Jeopardy, but only one of the answers was given. Bing Crosby received Oscar nominations for portraying Father Chuck O'Malley in Going My Way (1944) and The Bells Of St. Mary's (1945). Paul Newman was twice nominated as "Fast" Eddie Felson in The Hustler (1961) and The Color Of Money (1986). Peter O'Toole was nominated for playing King Henry II in Beckett (1964) and The Lion In Winter (1968). And finally, Al Pacino was nominated twice as Michael Corleone, for The Godfather (1972) and The Godfather: Part II (1974). Interestingly, Pacino and O'Toole never won for those roles. Crosby won for the former and Newman won for the latter. Alex Trebek, if you're thinking about retiring...well, e-mail me.

-Jarrett Roberts
  • Options
    GoldfingerGoldfinger Posts: 319 ✭✭
    Peter O'Toole was nominated twice for playing King Henry II: first in "Becket," then in "The Lion in Winter."
    small_d

e-mail me here

WINNER:
    POTD 8-30-05 (awarded by dthigpen)
    POTD 9-8-05 (awarded by gsaguy)
    GSAGUY Slam 12-10-04
  • Options
    GoldfingerGoldfinger Posts: 319 ✭✭
    Oh well, I wasn't the first to answer. I didn't know about Bing Crosby though.
    small_d

e-mail me here

WINNER:
    POTD 8-30-05 (awarded by dthigpen)
    POTD 9-8-05 (awarded by gsaguy)
    GSAGUY Slam 12-10-04
  • Options
    Wow, I didn't know Bing was nominated either. Here I go thinking that I knew the answer and I find out Paul Newman and Bing Crosby also were nominated for playing the same role. It was funny because as I was coming up with the question, The Lion in WInter was on American Movie Classics last night, and it turned out that on Encore at the same time, The Color of Money was on alsoimage. Peter O'toole is my favorite actor and after being nominated so many times (7 I believe) I think its about time he should get a special oscar for his contribution to film.

So Spinaker and Hookedon, for showing me that I didn't know all the actors who were nominated and for giving the answer I was looking for, you will each recieve a coin or coins featuring some of the distant relatives of King Henry IIimage
    Jared

-Comic Book Guy
  • Options
    Thanks Jared!image
    Terry

eBay Store

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about I jump in and add some more interesting trivia...

Don't know if she got any oscars/nominations for this, but

Maureen OHara played the same character in The Quiet Man and Only the Lonely. Which means that John Wayne was John Candy's dad. image

And there is probably a commem with the duke on it, just to tie this in with coins. image

am
    100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    littlewicherlittlewicher Posts: 1,822 ✭✭
    Jared, maybe you should do a different giveaway. Do like a brainteaser. image

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
    -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.
  • Options
    Coins arrived today!!image Very nice, thanks Jared!
    Terry

eBay Store

• Options
    Hi,

Coins arrived today. WOW! A 1990 Kookabura, and a 1914 Canadian penny. I was not expecting such nice prizes.

Thank you so much!

-Jarrett Roberts
  • Options
    Thanx guys. I promised somethign related to HenryII and you got his great times 20 Grandson and his great times 22 Granddaughter. (I hope I did the family tree rightimage, it gets confusing when you start going backward and get into the tudors ) enjoy the coins.
    Jared

-Comic Book Guy