Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1969 S DDO Lincoln.. what do you think this one's worth

2»

Comments

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>i found a penny in my change dish that had pretty much the same stuff on it.. came off no problem

i think i'll start with a q-tip and some soapy water.. see what happens >>

I wouldn't.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>i found a penny in my change dish that had pretty much the same stuff on it.. came off no problem

I wouldn't. >>

....i wouldn't either. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭

Gripton,
    You are a fool! Two of the top collectors, Stewart and TDN tell you what you should do and you "think" you can make big bucks by ruining a very special coin all by yourself. Wake up and listen before you screw everything up. JMHO. Steveimage
  • Options
    hahaha alright alright

maybe i'll soak it in gas and see if it burns off :hmmm:
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    I'd put a fair deposit on the coin, say 5 or 10K with the understanding that the coin is authentic and will grade. Then talk to Lincoln experts on proper conservation for the coin. Conserve it, get it in a holder, then pay the fair difference once authenticated/graded.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put the q-tip down & listen to the experienced collectors around here, otherwise it'll be worth less than its potential...
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    since when is soapy water so sinful... but alright already, i hear ya
  • Options
    Since the surface of a coin is important to the value and future life of it.

As to value, others have mentioned a good ball park for you to figure out what you want to pay. NCS is, like mentioned, the wrong place to send this. So is doing ANYTHING to it yourself, or the current owner. Now, if you like a cleaned dog of a coin, then by all means, throw $10k+ away... Its your money.

Id listen to the experts here and go for whatever you think is in your interests. You cant go wrong that way.
  • Options
    Send it to Andy to "conserve" it. He got another (Gerry's) 69-S DDO to upgrade from 62BN to 63BN after he "worked" on it. image
  • Options

<< <i>i think i'll start with a q-tip and some soapy water.. see what happens >>

Excuse me, I think I just came out of a faint...you were saying? image
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this coin is listed at pcgs as 18127605

HA

a re-sub or an insure claim, crossover? since the cert is not pulling up.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    I did not read the whole thing and do not know how quickly the seller needs cash but if it was me, I would put it up for auction.
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent images. Something about the coin just doesn't look quite right to me. The 'S' looks off...

The money to be made on a coin like this is substantial so I would be educating myself big time on '69 S DDO.If I'm convinced it's authentic,I would make offer about 1/2 to 1/3 of what I will be trying to get for it after grading/encapsulation.

Paying 2/3 of what you would be asking might work if you have an eager buyer in line for purchase.Otherwise,you need to be very careful not to pay too much.

Unless you have a specific buyer lined up for purchase,the price you pay should be at least 20% less,or more,than what you could get for the coin from a bona-fide dealer who specializes in the Lincoln cent series.The specialized dealer might have the collector contacts necessary.However,if at all possible,answer the question for yourself,before buying,"Who can I go to with this coin?"

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    For those who missed it, the coin was graded by PCGS as AU58, and sold at HA Tampa auction for $18,000+.
  • Options
    kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    Boy, I still love this variety and it's one of the most sought after modern varieties out there. The price has come down tremendously from it's highs in 2009/10. It's starting to look more and more affordable.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I you think the coin owner will call Stacks????????

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file