Home Sports Talk
Options

In this thread you will discuss franchises with proud histories but are no longer great.

Baseball:

Pittsburgh Pirates
Kansas City Royals
Baltimore Orioles
Cincinnati Reds

Football:

Cleveland Browns
Oakland Raiders
Kansas City Chiefs
Detroit Lions
Washington Redskins
San Francisco 49ers

Basketball:

Detroit Pistons
New York Knicks
Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    You mean we can't go off on some tangent that has nothing to do with the topic?

Growing up the Pirates were my favorite team. (The Mets were too) What has happened to the Pirate

franchise has me deeply saddened. At the same time I have no problem with ballplayers making what they can.

To me the whole situation is a catch 22. The only thing I know for certain is that I am priced out of attending a game in

person, unless I'm in a small market city which is rare. I once was in Milwaukee (1999) and was amazed that I only had to spend 25%

of what it would have cost me in NY, and that was for everything from parking (free) to the souvenier (sic) I bought on the way out.

Oh I also got a foul ball and the person sitting next to me broke her hand. The ushers provided her with ice as did any concession stand

we asked. In NY that would not have happened.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I might add the Oakland A's to the list of baseball franchises, but they seem closer to resurgence than the other teams listed.
  • Options

Hockey

Oilers
    Islanders
  • Options
    Not franchises....but.....college football,

Michigan
    Notre Dame
    Army
    Florida State
  • Options
    Boston Market

K-Mart

• Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    Barbara Eden

Kim Basinger
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Houston Oilers because they no longer exist image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barbara Eden is still a hottie [as hot as you can be pushing 70 years of age]. She always will be.

Same thing with Jacquelyn Smith and Bo Derek.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I might add the Oakland A's to the list of baseball franchises, but they seem closer to resurgence than the other teams listed.

I am not an A's fan, but living in NorCal I pay attention to them. I think they made the playoffs 5 times in the 2000's which isn't so bad. Not sure how many teams have done better than that but probably not a lot. Just sayin'....
  • Options
    Miami Dolphins
    And I'll throw in the NY Giants, just cuz Eli is a crying wanker.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    The O's had a nice run starting in the mid 60s but were woeful for almost their entire existence until then. I was surprised to learn that, of the original 16 teams, only the Phillies have a worse record. Even the Nationals have a better record than the O's.
  • Options
    Toronto Maple Leafs
  • Options

<< <i>Not franchises....but.....college football,

Michigan
    Notre Dame
    Army
    Florida State >>

I think i might add Nebraska to that list. They did good this past year, but not the powerhouse they once were.
  • Options

<< <i>Baseball:

Pittsburgh Pirates
    Kansas City Royals
    Baltimore Orioles
    Cincinnati Reds
    >>

Every one of those teams were powerhouses in the 70's.
  • Options
    The Colts
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Michigan
    Notre Dame
    Army
    Florida State >>

I think i might add Nebraska to that list. They did good this past year, but not the powerhouse they once were. >>

Geez, 1997 (National Champ) and 2001 (BCS Title Game) were not that long ago. They have had 2 good years in a row and were 1.5 secs from a Big 12 Title this year.

Hell, the Yankees had a longer "drought" than that (1982-94).
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Bay City Rollers
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Michigan
    Notre Dame
    Army
    Florida State >>

I think i might add Nebraska to that list. They did good this past year, but not the powerhouse they once were. >>

Geez, 1997 (National Champ) and 2001 (BCS Title Game) were not that long ago. They have had 2 good years in a row and were 1.5 secs from a Big 12 Title this year.

>>

Florida state last won a championship in 1999 and michigan in 1997.Same with nebraska
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Michigan
    Notre Dame
    Army
    Florida State >>

>>

Florida state last won a championship in 1999 and michigan in 1997.Same with nebraska >>

Yes, Nebraska is not the powerhouse it once was, but they also haven't suffered through losing seasons the
    way Notre Dame, Michigan, and Army have. The reason Florida State stays in this group and Nebraska doesn't
    is more due to it's academic cheating scandals then it's football woes.
  • Options
    Detroit Lions?

If by proud you mean worst in all of sports you might have a point?

Chicago Bulls definitely qualify
    Tom