Home U.S. Coin Forum

PCGS Grade Guarantee to Steel Cents question... GRADE GUARANTEE RESULTS!! :)

UPDATE FOLKS!! PCGS has made me whole!! The coins are being bought back! I got a value worth more than I expected from them and I am very pleased. Don, HRH and Crew showed once again why I buy and sell PCGS coins and why I submit to them!!

I recently got a lot of 4 PCGS 1943 D and S Lincolns... 2 of each. They 66 and 67 respectully 2 each. They all have spots/corrosion and have turned in the holders. Would PCGS give the grade guarantee on these coins. I know zinc cents are very reactive but I am sure that they were pristine when they were originally holdered.

What should I do.

Tom
Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,

Comments

• commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,077 ✭✭✭
    They are covered, send them back to PCGS.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they agree with you that the coins do not deserve those grades, they will handle it.
    If they say the grade still is valid, they won't do anything but tell you that (and charge you for sending them in)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Well, there is no way that they will agree with the grades on 3 of them. The 4th is a MS 67 43s and it has a few spots... I will try to get some pictures to you guys later tonight.

Tom
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and they also have "spot review"

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Id send them in, from what Ive heard PCGS is good about these things for the most parts. But I wouldnt expect more than maybe 60%...
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>and they also have "spot review" >>

....yeah, but do they have 'spots on steel' review? image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thing in your favor is that PCGS has been a standup company about things like this and they don't want crap in their holders, so if they have really turned bad, I don't see any way that they would want to have a crappy, sub-par, coin in a MS66/67 holder.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• They're not copper.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They're not copper. >>

No, but they are covered with zinc and made of non-stainless steel, which given improper storegage is equally unstable.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
    TTT

Should the grade guarantee be lifted on Steel coins?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear your being made whole Tom.......
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
    In this case the spots on ms66 and ms 67 coins wern't there when originally submitted. They turned in the holder and were like that when I purchased them. They are steel cents and not copper. It is not like it was a designation issue red to rb or rb to brn. They needed to be removed from the marketplace.

• So is steel covered under the guarantee?

• << <i>Should the grade guarantee be lifted on Steel coins? >>

No. PCGS did the right thing.

<< <i>In this case the spots on ms66 and ms 67 coins wern't there when originally submitted. They turned in the holder and were like that when I purchased them. They are steel cents and not copper. It is not like it was a designation issue red to rb or rb to brn. They needed to be removed from the marketplace. >>

I realize, but they are only zinc coated steel and they are from the 40s. It's not like they cared if they lasted until the 2040s. Sometimes even the good looking ones develop a rash.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file