Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Tonight on Pawn Stars - Pete Rose cards

2»

Comments

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    The whole time I was watching the GW auto happening, I was thinking to myself, sure the auto is real, but is it a copy or reprint? They couldn't possibly tell that without the type of lighting equipment PSA uses to determine it's authentic. My vote is FAKE.
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no way that pawn shop pays the prices they offer on the show on a regular basis. No way that 5/6 year Segway was worth $2500. They do get some pretty cool stuff in there.
    James
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    No way does someone who wants to stay in business pay $800 for a pinball machine, then spend another $3000 to restore it, with the hope of selling it for $5000.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Honestly, the only things I've seen in pawn shops are power tools and DVDs.
    Why would anyone take Pete Rose cards to a pawnshop when they can be easily put on ebay for a greater profit? >>

Vegas..
    ·p_A·
  • Options

<< <i>No way does someone who wants to stay in business pay $800 for a pinball machine, then spend another $3000 to restore it, with the hope of selling it for $5000. >>

Ive heard of kiss pinball machines selling for $5000 and they were produced in the 70's.
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    I bet when someone calls in witha cool item they get the cameras in there fast. No one wants to watch him buying the guys used CD from the 90's for $1.5 a piece.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>lol @ the way chumlee, hoss and the owner were handling the cards, although they turned out to be reprints. On another note, I would give that dude his $11,000 asking price for that George Washington lottery ticket. What's his number? >>

If you truly want a Washington, call John Reznikoff @ 800 237 5692. Tell him that Mike Navarro from Texas sent you. He typically has several in inventory ranging from $8500 or so up to about $200,000 depending on item. He can probably pick you up one of the "lottery tickets" for $11,000. Another good place to pick them up is a catalog auction called Alexander Autographs. It's run by Bill Panagopulos and he's a great guy. They just had a nice auction finish in late January, but there will usually be another around May or so. Incredible selection that will typically contain at least a handful of Washington's. You can find his contact info at http://www.alexautographs.com

Some of the nicest Washington's are signed Society of the Cincinnati certificates. They are typically beautiful items and I recommend one of those over the lottery tickets.

Take care,

Mike >>

Mike, thanks for the info. I'm actually not in the market for a high end Washington sig, nor probably never will be. I just have a hard time believing that if that unused lottery ticket was indeed authentic, in that great a condition, that it wouldn't be worth a lot more than $11,000.
  • Options
    When they showed the back of the Rose cards, I saw a bottom corner and it looked glossy and the color looked weird, for a lack of a better word. I dont know what 67's look like but when I saw that I thought fake. Guess I guessed right. Cool show.

Caught AP as well. I dont know why they didn't make a offer on all of those movie posters they dug out. That's what I would've done.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,808 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just like the "clubhouse sigs" of today, I think ya gotta wonder a bit if ol' George didn't have someone signing all those lottery tickets for him? Just because the lottery ticket is genuine, wouldn't necessarily mean the sig is genuine...would be interesting to know if our first prez actually sat there and signed all those lottery tickets, but perhaps he did?
  • Options
    My daughter went to Vegas just before Thanksgiving and made a trip to the famous Silver/Gold Pawn shop. She said there were a lot visitors and that the shop wasn't all that nice. The only "STAR" there was Chumlee. The OLD MAN and RICK were coming in a couple of hours to do some filming. A couple in front of her were asked if they wanted to be on the show. They said they didn't have anything to sell or pawn. They were told that that was not a problem and they would give them something and tell them what to do. So as everyone guessed the show is definitely scripted.

• Options
    Do you have any video of your daughter eating popcorn?
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>........ya gotta wonder a bit if ol' George didn't have someone signing all those lottery tickets for him............. >>

I'm sure that an Upper Deck representative was there at the time to legitimize all the signatures.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Do you have any video of your daughter eating popcorn? >>

lol
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A couple in front of her were asked if they wanted to be on the show. They said they didn't have anything to sell or pawn. They were told that that was not a problem and they would give them something and tell them what to do. So as everyone guessed the show is definitely scripted. >>

My guess is that some parts are real and some parts are scripted. The Pete Rose cards segment seemed like it may have been scripted. The guy's reaction to the cards being counterfeit didn't seem genuine to me, nor did his story.
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Do you have any video of your daughter eating popcorn? >>

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I actually got a casting notice a few weeks back for the show to be pawners, still love the CHOOCH with the pez, what character!
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    I think the show is somewhat similar to the antiques roadshow in terms of entertainment value, but not for determining the true worth of something. Since they are getting PAID to do the show, my guess is that on the items they buy, they can afford to be a little more "generous" than most pawn shops. About 13 years ago, I was between jobs and needed cash. I took my then sportcard collection, which included dozens of early 80's Gwynn, Ripken, Boggs, Mattingly RC's and couldnt even get 10% book and back then it was the half book buying time.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    New episode on now. great show!
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    did you see the advertisement where they have a t 206 wagner they think is real adn chumlee sets his coke down on it??

it was funny i saw it on youtube but have no idea how to link it.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started