Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Tonight on Pawn Stars - Pete Rose cards

I just saw this in the TV listings...

Chopper Gamble - The guys get an opportunity to buy a helicopter; Rick has a chance to buy a 240-year-old lottery ticket signed by George Washington; Corey is shown five classic Pete Rose baseball cards in mint condition. Mon 2/8 10:30-11:00pm

Hopefully they're not "classics" from the 1980s. image

Comments

• Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    Love that show. My guess is that they will be from the 70's and in rough shape.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    I bet they buy the Rose cards and pay too much.
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    In a previous episode where a guy brought in a box of old comics, Rick compared the comics to baseball cards--a market that is no longer like it use to be.

No matter which cards he is shown, odds are he will offer very little for them.

Should still be interesting to see the show and find out which cards are presented.

I have a Pete Rose collection, so I will surely watch.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    the shop is in Vegas. I bet they could have bought Pete Rose himself on several occasions.
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up. I really enjoy that show.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh this ought to be good! I watch every week already, so I'm all over this one! image
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

<< <i> In a previous episode where a guy brought in a box of old comics, Rick compared the comics to baseball cards--a market that is no longer like it use to be >>

Then he paid the guy like 60.00 for comics I couldn't get 6.00 for.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Who wants to bet that Chumly will put them in the spokes of his bike.
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "So how much do you want for em??...

$100 for all 5...

"I'll give you Ten bucks and you can keep the top loaders"

Deal!

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I should buy my plane ticket now in anticipation!
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    even though the show is jumping the shark, it is still entertaining. in the Christmas episode the old man's calendar read october. last week they were up to november.

my recent favorite was the guy who looked like he was out of the sopranos with the pez dispensers. when they tried to lowball them he called them a "bunch of cheeches" (whatever that means) and said that their offer was a disgrace to the pez community.

i knew bobby collected trains on the sopranos but a made man collecting pez dispenser?
  • Options
    Did he say "cheeches" or '"chooches" anyway it is Italian slang for Donkey I believe. That guy was a great actor!
  • Options
    i liked his hat and suit the best.
  • Options

<< <i>"So how much do you want for em??...

$100 for all 5...

"I'll give you Ten bucks and you can keep the top loaders"

Deal!

image >>

Good call. I can see it going something like this.

How much do you want for it?
    Maybe like $500.
    Well, I'll have to get somebody in here to see what these things are worth. I really don't know what they're worth.

Dude comes in and tells him it's hard to say without authentication, these days cards are graded and can be a wide swing depending on the results. Best estimate though, if these were to go at auction, somewhere around 2,000 dollars. Wow, thank you very much.

So, how much do you want for it?
    He says it's worth 2,000. How bout 2,000?
    How bout not? I'd give you 800.
    Look of disappointment.
    Listen, I don't have guys coming in here asking for Pete Rose baseball cards. They meet somewhere in the middle.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Some of these items have got to be brought in just to make the show more interesting.
    Honestly, the only things I've seen in pawn shops are power tools and DVDs.
    Why would anyone take Pete Rose cards to a pawnshop when they can be easily put on ebay for a greater profit?
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    A cheech is slang for cheap skate

Chooch is like mentioned a donket, mule etc.

Better to be called a chooch than a stroonza. lol or however they spell these words.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Some of these items have got to be brought in just to make the show more interesting.
    Honestly, the only things I've seen in pawn shops are power tools and DVDs.
    Why would anyone take Pete Rose cards to a pawnshop when they can be easily put on ebay for a greater profit? >>

because the majority of people that bring things into pawn shops either don't have a computer or have no clue how to use one or utilize ebay.

The things that are shown on pawn stars are far from the norm that you get coming into an average pawn shop. Jewelry, gold, electronics, etc....are the most common things for a pawn shop but I had some baseball cards and antiques come into the one I owned. I hope to have a lot more collectibles come into the one I'm opening.
  • Options
    Thanks for the heads up. We like to watch these when we can.

"mint condition" lol $5 says none are.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I bet Rick or The Old Man say's to the seller... know one wants Pete Rose any more.

I'll give you $20 for the one with him and the three other guys on it.

Trying to climb the 1954-55 Topps Hockey ladder for the second time.

• Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    I predict they are counterfeit 1963 rookies

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    it probably was chooches. i think i must have cheech and chong on the brain!

i could not get over his hat (previously mentioned) and that carrying case he had.

• Options
    He called them chooches.

Italian slang for hardhead,, blockhead,, any of a number similar insults pertaining to one's stubborness or limited use of common sense.
  • Options

<< <i> In a previous episode where a guy brought in a box of old comics, Rick compared the comics to baseball cards--a market that is no longer like it use to be. >>

You're right, the hobby isn't like it used to be. It's no longer over produced cheap junk. It's moderately produced expensive junk, for the most part. Let's get to the point, vintage singles in Mint condition or better bring good money. The same applies to comics, golden and silver age key issues bring it a a good chunk of change, especially CGC graded.
  • Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    I saw that on the preview earlier today too. I bet they are all from the 80s.
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't know the show existed until someone posted a thread about the show. I love it now.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    I bet they have Chumly lick the cards and if they dont blow up they are real!
  • Options
    Stronza- literally a turd, metaphorically a doofus

My friend just got back from pawning his wedding ring. Rick said "it was hideous" but gave him $600 for the gold.
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You're right, the hobby isn't like it used to be >>

I'm not Rick, It was his statement.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    I'm living in the dark ages with no cable so. someone post what happens so I can stay updated! Lol
    who dey!

looking for 1964 topps baseball psa graded 7+
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    From the promo, it looks like the guy is trying to sell 5 67 Topps Roses. not sure if real or not yet...
  • Options
    Look like reprints to me. Centering on all 5 is almost identical.
  • Options
    The card stock seems weird... almost like OPC, but they're not...
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    The idiot didn't even have them in card savers!
  • Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭
    FAKE cards!
  • Options

<< <i>Look like reprints to me. Centering on all 5 is almost identical. >>

• Options
    Rick didn't really give a good explanation of why they were fakes besides vague qualitative statements on coloring. It would have been nice for him to be more specific.
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, they were fake. It was hilarious how the guy was handling them like playing cards. LOL
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    lol @ the way chumlee, hoss and the owner were handling the cards, although they turned out to be reprints. On another note, I would give that dude his $11,000 asking price for that George Washington lottery ticket. What's his number?
  • Options

<< <i>Rick didn't really give a good explanation of why they were fakes besides vague qualitative statements on coloring. It would have been nice for him to be more specific. >>

He told him the cards were printed with a laser jet printer. Don't see why the guy needed more proof then that.
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    I bet there 67 Topps image Sorry just sitting hear looking at the show.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Good grief... I waited up for that?? lol

As soon as he flopped them down on the counter without any protection, I gave up. lol
  • Options

<< <i>On another note, I would give that dude his $11,000 asking price for that George Washington lottery ticket. What's his number? >>

I wonder how many emails they get about items they didn't buy?
  • Options
    did anyone notice the 1924 st gauden gold coin, the guy graded it ms64 on the pgs website ms-64 books for 14 grand,he gave her 1500, just wondering if seen that right,, what a deal,, bj
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>lol @ the way chumlee, hoss and the owner were handling the cards, although they turned out to be reprints. On another note, I would give that dude his $11,000 asking price for that George Washington lottery ticket. What's his number? >>

If you truly want a Washington, call John Reznikoff @ 800 237 5692. Tell him that Mike Navarro from Texas sent you. He typically has several in inventory ranging from $8500 or so up to about $200,000 depending on item. He can probably pick you up one of the "lottery tickets" for $11,000. Another good place to pick them up is a catalog auction called Alexander Autographs. It's run by Bill Panagopulos and he's a great guy. They just had a nice auction finish in late January, but there will usually be another around May or so. Incredible selection that will typically contain at least a handful of Washington's. You can find his contact info at http://www.alexautographs.com

Some of the nicest Washington's are signed Society of the Cincinnati certificates. They are typically beautiful items and I recommend one of those over the lottery tickets.

Take care,

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    did anyone notice the 1924 st gauden gold coin, the guy graded it ms64 on the pgs website ms-64 books for 14 grand,he gave her 1500, just wondering if seen that right,, what a deal,, bj

PCGS market value for an MS-64 is 2K, not 14K...I thought that $1,500 was too high of an offer, actually, as there is no way to guarantee that it will grade a 64...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    i believe if you run back and take a look i thought i seen a D on it, was looking for it when they showed the coin, have to wait til tomorrow before i see it again on on demand,,, bj
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    in the previous episode the head moron at the shop was man handling an uncirculated gold coin and speculating on whether it was ms 62 or ms 66. blah blah blah, cost of grading. blah. Then they overpaid for the coin. didnt make a lick of sense.
  • Options
    i believe if you run back and take a look i thought i seen a D on it, was looking for it when they showed the coin, have to wait til tomorrow before i see it again on on demand,,, bj

No D on that coin, it was a 1924-P.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    The guy with the Rose cards was a real tool....like the way he said he'd get someone to buy the Rose cards even after learning they were fake.

• Options
    You can buy a reprint just like the one used on the show for only $35.00

Gee Dub Auto Ticket