Home Metal Detecting
Options

Normandy

Does the French government allow metal detecting on the invasion beaches?
Seems to me that area would be packed with things even though the invasion was 65 1/2 years ago.
My brother was in the invasion.

Edited: I just Googled it. Seems the French have some pretty tough laws to keep metal detectors out of that area.

Ray

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does not surprise me.... certainly like any major historical site in the U.S. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    What would you hope to find? Seems like a ton of bullets would be in the sand. If you were to go under water nobody would be the wiser.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know there are WW1 trenches that people detect in. What I don't know is how legal that is. I've seen vids on YouTube. Maybe it's something similar to US Civil War sites, that are off limits within the boundaries of designated parks or memorials, but accessible on private land?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dunno, thats like messing with the dead to me. It shouldnt be done. Alot of people died there for a cause ....
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with treading lightly or not just going in and swinging a detector but what we're doing is saving history-- leaving things to rot in the ground isn't helping anyone remember the sacrifices they gave. Each case is different, though. I'm betting if you swung a detector around 30 years ago where the Hartford Circus fire happened in the 1940s you'd get punched in the nose. Now enough time has passed it probably is "ok".
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    History is viewed differently by people, and time has a way of changing things. Of course, in today's sensitized environment, there are those who will complain about someone picking up dog crap. Cheers, RickO