Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1965 Topps Cello Pack - RIPPAGE!!!!

2»

Comments

• BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doug, That was pretty cool. Thanks for sharing.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON

• << <i>This thread sure caught my attention.

The centering is as I expected because IMO (and this is only my opinion) people that slab these packs

at times already know that the box the packs came from many of the cards were OC and the value

lay-lies in the pack not the cards.

Thanks for sharing that Billy Hoeft at one time (maybe still) was a decent card in 8.

Steve >>

Steve, don't take this the wrong way but, is everyone a crook were you live? the pack is 45 years old, I thought I was pessimist and a conspiracy nut, but you have me beat hands down. LOL image
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    No not at all and I think you took my meaning wrong.

That is why I said "at times" Lets say I have a box of 65 topps. I mean someone had to have had the box to start, right?

(I suppose a single pack could have wondered through the hobby as well) Back to what I was trying to say, I have this box

(does not matter when) I open a few packs and see that the cards within are OC, I decide at this point not to open anymore

and simply save them as packs. Pack grading comes about and I think to myself these are perfect for that, people do not generally

open them these will be perfect for slabbing.

It was just a thought, it was not meant to be inclusive of all graded packs.

I should have been more concise in my previous post.

As for where I live and crooks, no, but as long as I have been in this hooby of ours I have seen that it is filled with crooks.

Lastly, I have NO IDEA where Doug got this pack I was just giving my opinion of what could have been the case, NOT what was the case.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    One last point to be even more clear...

The selling of these packs could have happened well before grading and the person who actually

had this specific pack graded had no idea that the cards within were OC.

Just as possible is the person that had the box to begin with had no idea.

hell for all I know no one ever had the box (except the candy wholesaler and retailer) to begin with and no one knew that OC cards

were within.

This is not directed at you Michael but sometimes it appears that one needs a legal secretary to post.

Or a graduate degree in English.

Take care Mike and thanks again for that advice you gave me in December.

Steve

Good for you.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>One last point to be even more clear...

The selling of these packs could have happened well before grading and the person who actually

had this specific pack graded had no idea that the cards within were OC.

Just as possible is the person that had the box to begin with had no idea.

hell for all I know no one ever had the box (except the candy wholesaler and retailer) to begin with and no one knew that OC cards

were within.

This is not directed at you Michael but sometimes it appears that one needs a legal secretary to post.

Or a graduate degree in English.

Take care Mike and thanks again for that advice you gave me in December.

Steve >>

WinPitcher is 100% right about that.

I dunno what Doug paid for the pack - I guess it was worth around $300 - $400 or so. And I don't know where he got it from. But in any event, with certain PSA 9's and all PSA 10's of 1965 Topps Baseball being so valuable, if a dealer believes he's got a half decent shot at a particular pack yielding 9's or 10's, he's gonna bust the pack himself. Why should he sell it slabbed for say $300 or somewhat more, and then get a nice email sometime later from the buyer thanking him because the buyer pulled a 5K or 10K card out of there....that isn't gonna bring joy to the dealer knowing that card should have been his.

Perhaps a dealer like BBCE could be a possible exception because he sells so much product, but in my opinion the same thing I mentioned holds true for him with vintage packs such as those from the 50's and 60's. If a dealer believes an unopened pack has some possible big winners, he's gonna bust it himself - that only makes common sense. Of course there's always the possibility a dealer could get a pack slabbed thinking there's not much in there, and be incorrect, but in my view that is highly unlikely.

Hey, I've had my eye on some early 60's PSA packs ever since they started slabbing them, and one day I may pull the trigger and buy one and bust it despite the fact it's a huge longshot of any winners - I'll probably buy it from an auction...and if I do and it is a loser which it probably will be...what the heck, it's only money. image
  • flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    nice try Douglas man!
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Very fun rip to watch, thanks! And what Steve said is what we always wonder about when we do the group rips - if the first pack is o/c then are the rest ripped?

"Molon Labe"

• jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Even though this pack was a bit of a bust, it was a GREAT experience watching the results. Thank you for sharing!

Ripping a huge pack like this one will never get old. I really loved it when Manny video taped his vintage Basketball pack. That was good stuff! We need more of that around here. image
  • Steve, yes I agree with you 100% , I knew what you were saying, sort of like opening a box of 86 fleer basketball
    getting the Jordans, then have the rest of the packs slabbed .I have been in this hobby on both sides of the
    table for 30+ years, there will always be the scammers and thieves.

my comments were to short as I had just got home from the bar. I always see everyone bashing the dealers
    ( and sometimes they need it), I was just trying to inject a little humor.

with any old packs/cellos (1952-1986) even ones that come straight from a whole box or a sealed case,
    the cards can be severely off center as Topps quality control was not the best, there main concern was
    how quick can we print these and get them out the door to sell.

from personal experience unopened packs/boxes/cases are always worth more than opened (because what might be inside),
    The older packs are fun to open , but 95% of the time are losers and a disappointment.

I am sorry if I offended you, that was not my intent and I apologize . Michael image

PS: Doug thanks for sharing the pack rip wish it would have had PSA 10 Carlton Rc and may your other pack rips be better.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Even though this pack was a bit of a bust, it was a GREAT experience watching the results. Thank you for sharing!

Ripping a huge pack like this one will never get old. I really loved it when Manny video taped his vintage Basketball pack. That was good stuff! We need more of that around here. image >>

You're right - i think i've viewed every vintage pack rip on Youtube. Some I've watched a few times thinking maybe this time the Mantle will be in there. LOL

• << <i>

<< <i>Even though this pack was a bit of a bust, it was a GREAT experience watching the results. Thank you for sharing!

Ripping a huge pack like this one will never get old. I really loved it when Manny video taped his vintage Basketball pack. That was good stuff! We need more of that around here. image >>

You're right - i think i've viewed every vintage pack rip on Youtube. Some I've watched a few times thinking maybe this time the Mantle will be in there. LOL >>

I'm right there with you.