Home Metal Detecting

Winter sorting - Found at my local WWII German Prisoner of War camp

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
During the last summer I took a trip to this state's German Prisoner of War camp during WWII. The place was picked pretty clean from years of other detectorists, but I managed to find two wheat cents (both from the early 40s) and this thing. It almost looks like some sort of name plate but it looks like 3/4 is missing. Any ideas what this could have gone to? I searched for the other pieces but couldn't find anything.

There was actually a book written on the camp, and I'm tempted to pick it up to research it a bit more. Any ideas on if this is actually is a name on there, or does some of this stuff mean something else?

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Certainly appears to be a tag indicating the identity of some part or container. Frustrating when we find half of something. I would bet you could find something on WWII memoribilia sites, the participants love to help identify items. Good luck, RickO
  • That is part of a German soldiers dog tags,cool find.

HH,Tom
  • There is a former WW2 POW camp about 35 miles back in the woods near me. It is now a sporting camp, hunting and fishing.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a former POW camp near me but it is now a state park so I guess that leaves that one out. That is a cool find.
  • There's one near me as well and I have actually located it the only problem it is on
    private property I have not been able to locate the owners.
    I did find out it had some serious history!
    It had been a hot springs spa and hotel until the depression and then it was a
    P.O.W camp for German and Japanese officers it was actually a secret spot as this is
    where they kept the Germans held when they stole enygma machines from them to help break the
    secret codes the Germans were sending to each other.

HH,Tom
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow Tom, I hope you get access to that spot. Sounds like it has great potential. Cheers, RickO
  • There's one near me as well and I have actually located it the only problem it is on
    private property I have not been able to locate the owners.

Just go, they will find you.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    Here's a pic of a full German tag.

• << <i>Here's a pic of a full German tag.
    image >>

I have never seen one of these.
    I can understand it though.
    It's made to break in half when a soldier dies on the battlefield, with one half kept and the other half left on the dead soldier.
    The United States issues 2 dog tags to soldiers with identical information on each.
    When a soldier dies, one tag is taken and the other left with the dead soldier.
    The notch in the US dog tags is for locating between the 2 upper front teeth where it is placed with a little force.

Ray
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Here's a pic of a full German tag.
    image >>

I have never seen one of these.
    I can understand it though.
    It's made to break in half when a soldier dies on the battlefield, with one half kept and the other half left on the dead soldier.
    The United States issues 2 dog tags to soldiers with identical information on each.
    When a soldier dies, one tag is taken and the other left with the dead soldier.
    The notch in the US dog tags is for locating between the 2 upper front teeth where it is placed with a little force.

Ray >>

Wow. thanks for the information and pic of a full tag.
  • Hey Mr Marble Man! Do you mean you have the names of the folks that own the land and you can't locate them, or do you mean you can't find their names at all? Mary
    Be Still and Know
  • Loditom,

Sure sounds like you are talking about Byron.

If so, send me a PM.

(not sure why I cant send you a PM)

I talked to the owner 4 years ago.

The phone number I have could still be the same.

Cheerio.
    www.CoinMine.com
  • goossengoossen Posts: 492 ✭✭
    Cool find!
    My coins with pictures: http://www.paraguaycoins.com/
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a VERY cool find. Too bad there isn't a full name, but perhaps if you could find a prisoner list somewhere and who knows, match it up?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.