Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

cross denomination die clashes in 1857

There seem to be some die clashing across denominations occuring around 1857

flying eagle cent with liberty seated quarter, liberty seated half, and Liberty Eagle $20

to get the clashing, there had to have been one of each of the dies being struck at the same time

are there any records of mules made this year?
or did a mint employee just forget to remove the cent piece all the time?

anyone have any ideas or theories?

Comments

• Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Hmmmmm...maybe the dies were left in the same locked drawer over a weekend and they had a "party," and a few got "in trouble."
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris Pilliod wrote a nice article in Longacres Ledger, I believe, giving a plausible explanation that didn't invoke any conspiracies. Had to do with hammer vs anvil dies for each of the denominations being made at the time with "normal" clashing.

Good reading - perhaps Snow has it digitized and can post it??
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    Someone at the mint was having a good time that yearimage
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    The Trimes and Dimes also show lots of clashing from this year!
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Maybe it was when they changed from making one denomination to another if it wasn't on purpose.

This is the one clashed with a 50c, it caused the area that looks like a CUD (it's not a CUD).

Ed
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There seem to be some die clashing across denominations occuring around 1857

flying eagle cent with liberty seated quarter, liberty seated half, and Liberty Eagle $20

to get the clashing, there had to have been one of each of the dies being struck at the same time

are there any records of mules made this year?
    or did a mint employee just forget to remove the cent piece all the time?

anyone have any ideas or theories? >>

I was the one who first identified these as dual-denomination clash marks, so I got dibs on theories..... image

I strongly suspect (but cannot prove) that these are the result of night watchman Theodore Eckfeldt placing mismatched dies in the screw press that they kept around the mint for various purposes, WITHOUT A COLLAR, placing a planchet of some kind atop the lower die, and swinging the arm of the press. This could be done by one person, who would have trouble getting the steam-powered pulley system up and running to power a regular coin press.

Let's say that he made one or two or three of one particular mule when the planchet fell off of the lower die during the swing and the dies clashed together. He could have stopped, put the dies back in the vault (his father was Chief Coiner, with keys to the vault) and made the other mules at some later date, or he could have placed another die pair in and made more mules until those dies clashed. The third muling could have taken place at a still later date, or later that same night.

Theodore Eckfeldt is strongly suspected of having made several Class II 1804 silver dollars in 1858. These were struck without a collar. Only one Class II remains, which happens to be struck over an 1857 Swiss Shooting Thaler. The remaining Class II pieces were mechanically edge lettered and sold by Mint officials at a later date. You can tell that the edge lettering was applied after the strike on the Class III coins. Perhaps the Mint officials felt that the 1857 uderstrike on the remaining piece would look suspicious if they tried to sell that one as well.

Eckfeldt sold the Class II coins around Philadelphia, but the Mint bought them all back and successfully covered up the scandal.

The hypothetical mules that I believe Eckfeldt struck could have been bought back and covered up at the same time. I cannot prove it.

As I say, this is a theory. Chris Pilliod also has a plausible theory. Unfortunately, until I get my flux capacitor fixed we will never be able to prove either theory.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Someone (Bill Fivaz, I think) found a specimen of an 1857 Seated quarter with clash marks from a die used to make Indian cents.
    Multidenominational clash marks have been found on other coins (not just ones minted in 1857), for example:
    1864LM 2-cent piece with cent clash marks
    1868 3-cent piece with cent clash marks
    1870 nickel with cent clash marks
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a closeup I took some years ago of my S-8 ... reverse of FE clashed with reverse of Seated 25c

If you look you can clearly see the outline of the Seated designs reverse eagle.

Rick (Eagle Eye) has a ton of information regarding these clashes (several different for this date exist). Most of the more convincing suggestions are that the anvil die of the cents and the silver and gold issues having different dies (obverse and reverse), and however it happened (accidental, deliberate, tomfollery), once the clash happened, the next few dozen strikes resulted in the varieties available today.

As far as I know, no mules exist, so it appears accidental ... even it did happen more than once and with more than one denomination combination.

oopps ... didn't see the Captain's editted post ... good info' there

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    until I get my flux capacitor fixed we will never be able to prove either theory

TD - Thanks for the alternate theory! image

I used to own the Fivaz S8 with the ANACS certificates - did he discover that variety??
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>until I get my flux capacitor fixed we will never be able to prove either theory

TD - Thanks for the alternate theory! image

I used to own the Fivaz S8 with the ANACS certificates - did he discover that variety?? >>

Yes.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭
    In 1870, there is a shield nickel that shows clash marks from an IHC (obverse):

• Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like the mint was having a lot of problems in 1857. Could have been individuals such as the night watchmen. But as a student of organizational excellence and lack thereof, I will say that it is amazing how an organization, when going through tough times (usually associated with poor leadership), can mess up a free lunch. When it seems that nothing is going right and just when you get one fire out another one starts, it isn't just bad luck. Your organization is dysfunctional. Perhaps the mint was going through such a period in 1857. --Jerry

PS I've seen it happen to top notch organizations too. It is easy to move from the top to the bottom if you get overconfident, complacent, or distracted. There is often a cyclic nature to organization performance.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file