Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Speaking of GSA's, anyone ever see this packaging from the GSA?

This is the only one of these I've ever seen. I bought it many years ago. At first blush I thought it might be a telemarketer's packaging, but then I figured it would take some pretty big nads to produce labels and a tamper resistant seal with the General Services Administration name printed on it.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, that's a new one on me. Which sale? Was it the "gold" sale??

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Maybe a gold coin of a recent sale. Does not look very old to me.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    I think it's probably got a GSA CC dollar inside, but I don't really know......which is why I posted it here.image

I noted the "79" on that mailing label which I assume is 1979. Most of the GSA mailing labels had a date noted for the year of production of that particular label.
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    open that sucker!
  • Options

<< <i>open that sucker!
    image >>

You guys keep talking about gold coins and it might just be opened.image
  • Options
    o pen o pen o pen o pen o pen
  • Options
    have you opened any of them? i would be so tempted. image
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    alright, send it to me! i`ll pay you the $300 penalty for private use.
  • Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    Maybe telling us the story of how you got it would help.

• Options

<< <i>Maybe telling us the story of how you got it would help. >>

Indeed. It would help me if I could remember. I bought so much GSA-related stuff from so many people it's hard to recall a lot of it.image
  • Options

<< <i>have you opened any of them? i would be so tempted. image >>

No.
  • Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it coulod be from the orignal CC GSA sale, as we didn't have zip codes back then...or did we?image
    Pete
    "Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    How in the hell do you stare at that stack of GSAs all day and not want to rip them open!? They wouldn't last 5 minutes with me.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gsaguy:

Looks like it was the replacement package of a single non CC dollars in the pliable softpac plastic holders.
    I recall some collectors returning and exchanging several of such silver dollars that were improperly packaged. The real reason most returned them was because they were hoping for a better silver dollar in exchange but needed a defective package to be allowed to return the coin.

An x-ray scan should determine how many silver dollars are in that package. Probably one. I do not recall more than one ever being sent in those packages.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those fonts, not to mention the technology to produce them on a mailing label economically, didn't exist back then, the "registered" number and label has nothing to do with anything the PO ever used, and "tamper evident seal" was a term only came into being after the 1982 Tylenol tampering scare. This is a much more recent repackage. Open it and see what, if anything, is inside.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think it coulod be from the orignal CC GSA sale, as we didn't have zip codes back then...or did we?image
    Pete >>

Zip codes started in the early 1960s.

Sure looks bogus to me. Open it in front of a video camera.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed about that "tamper evident seal." I do not recall that either.

In any event, even if the package was authentic, it would not be an expensive coin inside. Unusual in that there is no postmark on the package.

Upon looking at it a second time, the package size looks right but the labels look strange. I will mull it over.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960
    That whole label looks photoshopped to me. For instance, the return address
    and USPS logo look legit, but scanned into a computer with the remaining text added.

But who the heck knows. Open it!
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    Just had a thought.....where are the bullet cancels typically found on Registered Mail? Also, nowadays you cannot use clear tape on a Registered package because it will not take a bullet cancellation. Was this kind of taping ever allowed???
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    numobrinumobri Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

Be brave and take the $300image

Brian
    NUMO
  • Options
    RunnersDadRunnersDad Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭
    I agree that you should open it in front of a camera. I am very interested too see what is inside that package!!
    Mike

Visit my son's caringbridge page @ Runner's Caringbridge Page

"To Give Anything Less than Your Best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" - Steve Prefontaine
  • Options

<< <i>gsaguy:

Looks like it was the replacement package of a single non CC dollars in the pliable softpac plastic holders.
    I recall some collectors returning and exchanging several of such silver dollars that were improperly packaged. The real reason most returned them was because they were hoping for a better silver dollar in exchange but needed a defective package to be allowed to return the coin.

An x-ray scan should determine how many silver dollars are in that package. Probably one. I do not recall more than one ever being sent in those packages. >>

From what I recall, the GSA sales literature stated that no returns were allowed. Having said that, I also recall seeing something while doing some research that the GSA held a few coins for just that reason....in case someone had a legit reason for a return.

What would be a legit reason for a return? Well, for instance, I've got an 1884-P and an 1890-S that are in GSA Carson City holders!image
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well you know it wont self destruct in 60-Sec. Cool package. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    you have lots of numbers there

surely someone at the GSA could trace the order for youimage
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    Almost certainly a fake. The LED segmented font for "Registered" just screams early 90s.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weigh it and Xray it.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My vote would be to open it.... or send it to me and I will do it for you image All kidding aside, that labeling sure does look modern. I have no conclusive evidence to prove or disprove that - merely that it sure looks different. I can see why you are curious. Ok, you have to do something now - we are all curious. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks fake to me. So you either got a beat up 1884-CC, or worse, a lead weight in a GSA-sized box.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Those fonts, not to mention the technology to produce them on a mailing label economically, didn't exist back then, the "registered" number and label has nothing to do with anything the PO ever used, and "tamper evident seal" was a term only came into being after the 1982 Tylenol tampering scare. This is a much more recent repackage. Open it and see what, if anything, is inside. >>

I'll be a little more specific. The font on the center of the yellow sticker was copyrighted in 1996 by Microsoft.
  • Options
    au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭
    Perhaps from a recent GSA "government seized property" auction?
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll be a little more specific. The font on the center of the yellow sticker was copyrighted in 1996 by Microsoft. >>

You can copyright fonts?
    Becky
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Could you have bought a non-related GSA item that someone pawned off to you as a CC dollar?
    Paul
  • Options

<< <i>Could you have bought a non-related GSA item that someone pawned off to you as a CC dollar? >>

Absolutely! There's a sucker born every minute.imageimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Time to open it... just way too much mystery here.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>Time to open it... just way too much mystery here.... Cheers, RickO >>

I think you're right. I suspect it's a telemarketer's piece and therefore will be a baggy 1884-CC. I may open it today and post pics as I go.image
  • Options
    RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I think you're right. I suspect it's a telemarketer's piece and therefore will be a baggy 1884-CC. I may open it today and post pics as I go.image >>

Please do!
  • Options

<< <i>

I think you're right. I suspect it's a telemarketer's piece and therefore will be a baggy 1884-CC. I may open it today and post pics as I go.image >>

I know your teasing but I'll be checking back.....you had me at open...you had me at open image
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lets see!
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Open the darn thing already!!! I am chomping at the bit image
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

And if white powder falls out...RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do it!image
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Either Bryan's a tease or something blew up when he opened the package!
    Where's he at with the update? image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe you've never opened any of them... really opening yourself up to scammers who will sell you a fake sealed box with a lead weight in it or a few rocks. Hope that wasn't the case here.

• Options
    Post said results or we vote for permanent ban image
  • Options

<< <i>Post said results or we vote for permanent ban image >>

image You guys are brutal. I had a headache today.image
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    image I love the suspense!!!
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Post said results or we vote for permanent ban image >>

image You guys are brutal. I had a headache today.image >>

We asked for the coin to be opened, with pics.....we didn't ask for "what she said" image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think the label dates from the GSA CC dollar sales, and therefore doubt that the package will even hold a CC dollar. For your sake, I hope that you at least get a real coin of some kind out of it.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    O ye of little faith.
  • Options
    Open sez me!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file