Home Precious Metals

1996 SE

Hello everyone.
In 1996 I bought a single mint tube of 20 1996 SE's. Early in the year I believe. I also bought two single SE's. The singles one have toned, Badly but yet pretty for those that like that sort of thing. Those came in and are just in a paper coin holder. The mint tube is taped, and I have never opened it. It also looks like there is a spacer of plastic bubble wrap. I assume the guy I bought it from did that for shipping because the Mint Tubes I've seen since are not taped from the mint.

Assuming that they are all 1996's should I have them Graded? It would be my first box of 20 , OH boy! The Excitment. Should the two Toned 1996's be graded also? No pictures sorry.
Thanks Newt

Comments

• gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Yes, grade them all & post resultsimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    are you sure its worth the cost?? 1996 ASEs have dropped in value........my local coin stores has a bunch of them and they don't sell. Because of that, they are offering less and less on the 1996 ASE's when you are selling to them. Now perhaps they are hot on ebay and if they are, then you should get them graded and flip it on ebay.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Coll3ctorColl3ctor Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭
    I would first open the roll and check for milk spotting and other possible defects.
  • Thanks everyone, and Thanks DorkGirl Becky
    I for some screwball reason can't bring myself to slitting the tape on the 96 tube.

I caused the price of silver to drop the last few weeks. That's one of my Newt Powers. I can do it again. Maybe I should let you all know when I make purchase so you can get ready for a dip. I bought a green monster a few weeks back, and picked it up last night. No Tape On The Tubes. All the more reason to cut the 96's open. The Monster WAS sealed with white "West Point Mint" marked strap tape. The lettering was Red. I tossed the strap tape, and being a screwball that was difficult. Box is 2009's. I only opened one tube, the center one, image. I did not take any out of the tube. Thanks again everyone, take care. Newt
    I would not blindly send the roll in. There is a good chance they all could be milk spotted. Put some gloves on and crack it open image

• << <i>I would not blindly send the roll in. There is a good chance they all could be milk spotted. Put some gloves on and crack it open image >>

Oh no I won't do that. I plan on taking them to a local coin shop, he is a PCGS dealer. I have an 1864 2 Cent piece that should be graded and an 1854 large cent , large motto that I want the dealer to tell me if it's good enough to be graded. I think it is. I want to know what the charges are going to be. If there is a big difference sending them direct or using the coin shop. Hmmm Gloves, oh now I can't open them until I get the proper gloves Thanks Coll3ctor. Some sort of cotton? Thank you. Newt

<< <i>

<< <i>I would not blindly send the roll in. There is a good chance they all could be milk spotted. Put some gloves on and crack it open image >>

Oh no I won't do that. I plan on taking them to a local coin shop, he is a PCGS dealer. I have an 1864 2 Cent piece that should be graded and an 1854 large cent , large motto that I want the dealer to tell me if it's good enough to be graded. I think it is. I want to know what the charges are going to be. If there is a big difference sending them direct or using the coin shop. Hmmm Gloves, oh now I can't open them until I get the proper gloves Thanks Coll3ctor. Some sort of cotton? Thank you. Newt >>

Yes, just to be safe a cheap pair of thin cotton gloves would be fine.
  • Remember on the MS70 are worth the price on the 2009. I just bought some 2010 MS69's for much less than it would cost for grading services. You'd have to hold them a long, long time.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I would not blindly send the roll in. There is a good chance they all could be milk spotted. Put some gloves on and crack it open image >>

Oh no I won't do that. I plan on taking them to a local coin shop, he is a PCGS dealer. I have an 1864 2 Cent piece that should be graded and an 1854 large cent , large motto that I want the dealer to tell me if it's good enough to be graded. I think it is. I want to know what the charges are going to be. If there is a big difference sending them direct or using the coin shop. Hmmm Gloves, oh now I can't open them until I get the proper gloves Thanks Coll3ctor. Some sort of cotton? Thank you. Newt >>

So, do you suppose that the dealer will NOT open the tube to let you know whether or not the SAE's are gradeable?

1996 was a "bad rinse year" and many of the coins have horrible milk spots that cannot be removed which essentially kills the resale price of a 1996 SAE. The grade is the determining factor on resale. Each coin would cost $14 to have graded plus whatever shipping is involved. With Silver at $16+ per oz, you'd have to sell each one at $35+ to realize ANY type of profit. An MS67 SAE would have a tough time hitiing that mark friend.

It is best to open and inspect before ever considering having them graded since you'd be adding $15 in cost to each coin.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    IMHO and YMMV

go ahead and open them and have a dealer look at them that you trust.

if there are some pristine and cherry ones....then take those and acetone rinse them, if you send those in for grading.

i have heard that acetone will not prevent spotting, but i have been able to clean some mirrored proofs as well as mirror details on the Anniversary Reverse ASE. and...haven't had a problem with rinsed ASE's put back into their original capsules.

• I am holding a box of 20 I purchased as a roll 12 years ago...I placed them all in airtites and they are just beautiful...I
    hope one day the price will sky rocket on these babies!

• << <i>IMHO and YMMV

go ahead and open them and have a dealer look at them that you trust.

if there are some pristine and cherry ones....then take those and acetone rinse them, if you send those in for grading.

i have heard that acetone will not prevent spotting, but i have been able to clean some mirrored proofs as well as mirror details on the Anniversary Reverse ASE. and...haven't had a problem with rinsed ASE's put back into their original capsules. >>

Do they use a Sonic tank for acetone? I have one for cleaning pistols, but I don't think M-Pro 7 gun cleaner will be a good idea. {Takes all the oils out of the pours of metal though}. And no way will I dip any coins in there unless I don't care about them. I guess I should drop some dirty clad next time I clean my pistol. Or evan coin or two of dirty junk 90% just for the hell of it.

Oh and Thank you to everyone for your responses. Seems an easy decision if any of the 96's are MS-70's. Thanks, Newt