Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

3 Leg Buffalo.. Final Photos

I tried my best knowing the edge holders would provide a little difficulty.

bnb

Comments

• Options
    The luster looks nonexistent in those photos.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options

<< <i>The luster looks nonexistent in those photos. >>

Why do you always have something negative to say?

It kinda pisses me off.

bnb
  • Options
    Wow, really?

Don't want to start a flame war. Just stating a fact. You've said the coin is lustrous, yet I can't see it in these photos.

The sharpness is good, the detail is good, but you can't see the luster at all.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Well, I think you nailed that one pretty well image
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I like itimage

this is the NGC 58? I do not see the friction/rub keeping it from UNC, is it on the shoulder?
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, really?

Don't want to start a flame war. Just stating a fact. You've said the coin is lustrous, yet I can't see it in these photos.

The sharpness is good, the detail is good, but you can't see the luster at all. >>

I can see a good amount of luster just fine on this photo.

I took some more photos. I really thought this would be it.. But I guess there's always a critic for something..

So, I'll just keep tryin!
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice photo. I recommend not cropping it so tightly.
  • Options

<< <i>I like itimage

this is the NGC 58? I do not see the friction/rub keeping it from UNC, is it on the shoulder? >>

The indian's cheek.
  • Options
    I'm doing another right now to show this gentleman(Silver Eagle) what the difference is when I expose a 2 halogen light bulbs to 1.. The first picture is from 1 bulb.

Now, I will soon show him what two bulbs look like on the coin.

Just because the lighting is better, does that mean the coin has more luster?

No, it's just the way the photo is taken and in what lighting situation.

Coming in 10-15 min.

bnb
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the pic is much sharper than the previous shots. I agree on cropping a little tight, would like to see the rims. Dont worry about the seeing the prongs, people get over that.

Now for criticism....maybe it should be a little brighter? That is your call, you have the coin in hand to compare. Ideally I would like to see some light above the indians heads and more light on the United States of America. This part is a real pain but helps buffalo images. Just keep shooting everything you can find, it takes lots of practice.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

On this one I would say put the lights on a couple books and get them up higher.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>image >>

On this one I would say put the lights on a couple books and get them up higher. >>

I am using a macro stand. They are very high. About 3 feet off the ground.
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    I like the first photo the best. I think it shows the detail and luster just fine.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>image >>

On this one I would say put the lights on a couple books and get them up higher. >>

I am using a macro stand. They are very high. About 3 feet off the ground. >>

Ok can you tell me in relation to the coin (being height of zero) the height of the bottom of the lens, back of the camera, and the lights? Guesses are fine.

That lights seems harsh if it is 3 ft away, but I also dont use halogens so maybe they are that different.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a pretty nice nickel, still can't see the rub on it from the photos though.

As mentioned above, definitely don't crop it so close and let those prongs and the rim show.

Getting pretty good with that camera set up, keep it up.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>image >>

I am using a macro stand. They are very high. About 3 feet off the ground. >>

Ok can you tell me in relation to the coin (being height of zero) the height of the bottom of the lens, back of the camera, and the lights? Guesses are fine.

That lights seems harsh if it is 3 ft away, but I also dont use halogens so maybe they are that different. >>

1.5 Feet approx from coin to bottom of lens, back of camera 1.7 approx, and lights 3.5 feet approx.

These were guesses and I don't have a measuring tool on me..

Does this help?

bnb
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I like the original photograph which IMO shows some good reflectivity which can be interpreted as luster.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin, and I was happy with the first picture. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    IMO the first set of pics is just fine. I agree with RYK though, show the prongs and all of the rims, people will get over the prongs...

Nice coin image
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    are you using any fancy bulbs? (GE REveal or other full-spectrum)

and what angle from coin are the lights placed?

your pictures are vastly improved over a month ago -

if you keep it up, and with the use of videos, you will be able to get a job
    or part time contracting job doing photos and/or updating website for some of the national dealers in your area

what is missing in the industry is a person/method of showing the coin like you see it when people purchase

a small video clip could do that - slight rotation of coin with single point light source showing luster
    and then focus on major problem area

also many of the national dealers are too burnt-out after the shows and long travel
    and turn-over coins so quickly they do not have an effective presence on the internet

all you have to do is look at the listings on 'The Collectors Corner' to see this

and I guess I do not blame them - if they like their business model now
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    if you dare click on the YouTube link, dont make the mistake i did and also click on this one in the right hand margin........you'll never get the 3 minutes 8 seconds of your life back

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    One of my favorite coins.

You have a sweet one!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>if you dare click on the YouTube link, dont make the mistake i did and also click on this one in the right hand margin........you'll never get the 3 minutes 8 seconds of your life back >>

Ah, Jun 09.. We change over time. image
  • Options

<< <i>are you using any fancy bulbs? (GE REveal or other full-spectrum)

and what angle from coin are the lights placed?

your pictures are vastly improved over a month ago -

if you keep it up, and with the use of videos, you will be able to get a job
    or part time contracting job doing photos and/or updating website for some of the national dealers in your area

what is missing in the industry is a person/method of showing the coin like you see it when people purchase

a small video clip could do that - slight rotation of coin with single point light source showing luster
    and then focus on major problem area

also many of the national dealers are too burnt-out after the shows and long travel
    and turn-over coins so quickly they do not have an effective presence on the internet

all you have to do is look at the listings on 'The Collectors Corner' to see this

and I guess I do not blame them - if they like their business model now >>

No fancy bulbs. Just two GE halogen lights. Thanks for your comments!

bnb
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Word to the wise: Luster is not at all typical for 3 legged Buffalo nickels due to extreme die erosion. I think what you're seeing is glossiness as opposed to luster.

I'm a bit surprised the nickel wasn't graded MS61. It looks MS all day long. And the first image looks great.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

.....i agree with Christopher. i too think it should have gone a 61 at least! VERY nice buff! image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    Thanks tahoe and Chris..

I wish I could let some of you hold it in your hands.. Aside from the finger print(Which is noticeable at certain angles and bright light), it's a very gorgeous coin..

I don't know if I'm seeing luster on it or gloss. I think I need to know what the difference is between the two.

Thanks though!

bnb
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A very nice example, it's a beauty...image

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats a nice high grade one
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first reaction when viewing the first image was, "That baby was struck not long after that die was overpolished". Really a nice 3 legger and I can see the luster.
    As far as the image goes, I like the first better than the 2nd, but something between the two would be perfect! image
    Pete
    "Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    Not a bad image. Nor a bad coin. Personally I never really became interested in this variety, but I still find them interesting.

The print kills it for me, (its a pet peev) but other wise, thats one of the nicer ones Ive seen in some time honestly.
  • Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭✭
    I am not a variety person, but the quality of the pictures and presentation is nice. image
  • Options
    Is this the video click here, oh that must be another one image.

The images are pretty good, but the cropping is too tight, and the upper part of the reverse seems a little out of focus.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The obverse of the 3 legger is one heck of a nice strike, love the coinimage
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

<< <i>Is this the video click here, oh that must be another one image.

The images are pretty good, but the cropping is too tight, and the upper part of the reverse seems a little out of focus. >>

I think it's against the new forum rules to post that kinda stuff man.. I know what you're trying to do, it's funny and all, but wrong place for that..

This is for coins.. If you want to post that to a comedy forum no prob.

Anyway, thanks for your advice anyways.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice coin, and I was happy with the first picture. Cheers, RickO >>

Well, if we're resurrecting old threads...

here's one with big photos of the fingerprint in question....

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    TopdollarpaidTopdollarpaid Posts: 595 ✭✭✭
    Thats a great coin and those are great pictures. A+
    Randy Conway

Www.killermarbles.com

Www.suncitycoin.com
  • Options
    gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
    I see no friction or flatness on the high points at all. I'm sure the graders see something when they give the coin a tilt, but I don't see it here.
    As Shamika pointed out, the luster on the 3-legger is uniformly horrible, and this piece is no exception. There is no bloom or iridescence at all; you can TRY to make the coin possess some reflectivity, but it's a struggle. You can't create what isn't there. But it's OK, there is much else to praise about this coin than luster.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super niceimage
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very nice nickelimage

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    your pic doen't show the alledged fingerprint very well

are you sure it is there?
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>your pic doen't show the alledged fingerprint very well

are you sure it is there? >>

Is it on the Indian's temple?
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>your pic doen't show the alledged fingerprint very well

are you sure it is there? >>

Is it on the Indian's temple? >>

Here's some videos of the coin pre and post NCS conservation which BNB posted... you can see the fingerprint or whatever it is that covers most of the indian's face in the videos (and in the pic in the first post):

Video #1

Video #2

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file