Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is pricing the MS 60 grade, for Early dollars, accurate?

PCGS has graded about 6 coins for the entire series as MS 60. And the difference between 58's and 60 pricing is quite large in most instances.

What has been your experience in buying AU 58's, that are nice 58's as to the price you pay, or see advertised? Is it generally closer to the 60 price, or the 58.

Would a pricing estimate for a pq 58 help the market understand the higher value the 58 deserves?

Or does the market price the 58 where it needs to be, without an intermediate price guide.
TahoeDale

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't spend much time looking at the PCGS price guide. I can tell you that you can expect to pay low end Mint State money (between MS-60 and 63 listed prices) a really nice AU-58. And many times I was happy to get the coin at that price.

The MS-60 prices might be distorted because of the registry. Very few coins are graded MS-60, yet they bring more in registry points. Those extra registry points could drive up the market prices for MS-60 graded coins. Sadly, at least on the registry to which I belong, you get no more points for an AU-58 than you do for an AU-50 despite the fact that the AU-58 is usually a much nicer coin and a coin that has a higher (sometime much higher) market value.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file