Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Undervalued player cards

I'll start a new hobby-related topic here, I apologize if it's been done before.
We all look for value in card purchases, so I thought I'd begin a list of the most undervalued players in today's card market.
I'll start with my #1, Tim Duncan, who tends to fly under the radar due to his lack of flashiness, IMO.
Anyone else?
From any era or sport

Tim Duncan

Comments

• With the exception of 1 or 2 cards, Craig Biggio PSA 10 rookies can usually be had for $10-15.
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Mike Bossy
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Felix Potvin?
  • A few steroid era guys that I think should have more value:

Frank Thomas
    Fred McGriff
    Mike Mussina
    Tom Glavine
    John Smoltz
  • EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    Two former LSUers and future HOFers, Alan Faneca and Kevin Mawae's RCs can be had for less than a $1.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Two former LSUers and future HOFers, Alan Faneca and Kevin Mawae's RCs can be had for less than a $1. >>

Hard to find Faneca's true RC (UD XL). It's akin to the Pacific Philadelphia Adam Vinatieri in that when you see one, they tend to sell at a pretty high number. Albeit, the AV books for far more than the Faneca.
  • sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Two former LSUers and future HOFers, Alan Faneca and Kevin Mawae's RCs can be had for less than a $1. >>

Hard to find Faneca's true RC (UD XL). It's akin to the Pacific Philadelphia Adam Vinatieri in that when you see one, they tend to sell at a pretty high number. Albeit, the AV books for far more than the Faneca. >>

Tell me about it. I can't even find a raw copy and I've been looking for about a year. It's a couple dollar card and no one EVER has it for sale ANYWHERE online.
  • dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Mullins5, many hockey stars are undervalued
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    What do you guys think are some factors that make certain players undervalued?

I think for some it's where they play. Small market team's players can fly under the radar.

For some players, it's the lack of winning a championship. There have been dozens of HOF players in every sport who are valued less than players who have inferior career numbers, but have won a championship.
  • Best value to me are baseball stars from the 80s or later. For the same price as the Biggio rookie in a PSA slab, you can fill a binder with anyone from Joe Morgan to Manny Ramirez cards for 10-cents each. Might not ever be able to re-sell them, but you can never lose much money
    Tom

<< <i>

<< <i>

Hard to find Faneca's true RC (UD XL). It's akin to the Pacific Philadelphia Adam Vinatieri in that when you see one, they tend to sell at a pretty high number. Albeit, the AV books for far more than the Faneca. >>

Tell me about it. I can't even find a raw copy and I've been looking for about a year. It's a couple dollar card and no one EVER has it for sale ANYWHERE online. >>

Took awhile to get this one for my Future HOF RC Set:

• Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    How about 70's high grade basketball. Look at this 1978 PSA 10 auction that went for $40.

Erving

Compare that to an 1986 fleer that will go for over $150
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • bziddybziddy Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

<< <i>With the exception of 1 or 2 cards, Craig Biggio PSA 10 rookies can usually be had for $10-15. >>

This is the first one that jumped into my head. Alomar as well.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Tell me about it. I can't even find a raw copy and I've been looking for about a year. It's a couple dollar card and no one EVER has it for sale ANYWHERE online. >>

Took awhile to get this one for my Future HOF RC Set:

image >>

I'm close to putting together an all-time Steelers PSA set, and this card and the 1948 Bowman Elbie Nickel are giving me hell. It's nearly impossible to even find raw copies.
  • Mid to late 1970's star basketball in high grades !!
    1938 Cartledge Boxing cards psa 7 - psa 10
    1951 Topps Red backs psa 8 only!
    1960 Golden Press Presidential set Psa 8 's - Psa 9's
    1961 Golden Press psa 9's
    1976 Topps baseball psa 9 Stars
    1980 Kelloggs baseball Psa 9's - Psa 10's
    1988-1989 Fleer Basketball psa 9's
    1988-1989 Fleer Stickers psa 9's
    1989-1990 Fleer Basketball psa 10's
    1992 Coca-Cola Donruss Nolan Ryan 1-26 Psa 10 only Gpa 9.80++ E-mail Newyork00007@aol.com
  • 72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    Jim Rice
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
    I have always thought Paul Molitor's cards to be undervalued. I guess a lot of Hall of Famers cards are, really. People put so much money and time into prospects, they forget about the guys who started as prospects and took their careers to the next level. Guys like Eddie Murray, Paul Molitor, Andre Dawson and Jim Rice, to name a few, are pretty undervalued in the hobby.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    My thoughts on that (and you used quite a few good names there) is that perhaps they
    are too modern? Unless of course you meant in PSA 9 and above?

Many of those cards were produced in what is known as the mass produced era.

Or at least those printed from 76 and above.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • I think a lot of guys that were shadowed by Michael Jordan are way undervalued ....

Karl Malone
    Clyde Drexler
    David Robinson
    Scottie Pippen

This is just to name a few. Don't get me wrong, a lot of 80's-90's NBA stars do very well, but if there was no MJ, I think collectors would be shilling out more.
    Two of the most overlooked and under appreciated cards of the last 25 years has to be Edgar Martinez and Omar Vizquel. One is a lock HOFer and the other is bordeline and they get NO hobby love.
  • I think Tony Gonzalez cards are. Future HOF'er...sells for around common price. PSA 10's RC for around $10-15. Of course playing for the Chiefs for 12 years didn't help (value wise).
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • All Jackie Robinson cards in PSA 8 or higher.
    "You tell 'em I'm coming...and hell's coming with me"--Wyatt Earp
  • Joe Mullen 82-83 opc
    Trying to climb the 1954-55 Topps Hockey ladder for the second time.

If you want to go hockey, there's a bundle of them in the early 1980's...

Dave Andreychuk
    Ron Francis
    Dale Hawerchuk
    Mike Gartner (although he's priced high, but sells low)
    Scott Stevens
    Michel Goulet
    Dino Ciccarelli
  • Here are a few:

Marc Tardiff (all-time leading scorer of the WHA)
    Rogie Vachon - NHL goalie
    Guillaume Latendresse - Minnesota Wild forward
    Brad Friedel (former U.S. Nats goalkeeper)
  • I feel the 80's was the best decade for hockey rookies. Imagine if those guys came into the league in the 50's. What would the prices of those cards be?

How man HOF rc's are from the 80's? Any idea?
    Trying to climb the 1954-55 Topps Hockey ladder for the second time.

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Undervalued presumes that they will go up in value (relative to other cards) in the future, right? Just because a player like Tim Duncan is under appreciated does not mean his cards will ever go up in value dis-proportionally to other players. He may just be one of those guys whose cards always cost less than other similar skilled players. Doesn't mean he isn't a better play or anything like that. It's just simple supply and demand... mostly demand (or lack thereof) that determine value. Thus, in conclusion I think it is very difficult to determine someone who is truly undervalued now as compared to the future. It would seem something would have to happen to all of a sudden make the world aware of this "undervalued" gem which would cause people to start buying. I think it's a crap shoot like any card. I thus think no card is truly "undervalued." Just my two.

<< <i>Undervalued presumes that they will go up in value (relative to other cards) in the future, right? Just because a player like Tim Duncan is under appreciated does not mean his cards will ever go up in value dis-proportionally to other players. He may just be one of those guys whose cards always cost less than other similar skilled players. Doesn't mean he isn't a better play or anything like that. It's just simple supply and demand... mostly demand (or lack thereof) that determine value. Thus, in conclusion I think it is very difficult to determine someone who is truly undervalued now as compared to the future. It would seem something would have to happen to all of a sudden make the world aware of this "undervalued" gem which would cause people to start buying. I think it's a crap shoot like any card. I thus think no card is truly "undervalued." Just my two. >>

I think, in this instance, that undervalued is applied to cards that sell significantly below the prices of similar contemporary players.

As a example, Andreychuk sells for a fraction of Cam Neely (same rookie card issue - 1984-85 OPC). There's no reason for this other than the fact that Neely played in Boston and Andreychuk primarily in Buffalo, Toronto, NJ and TB. Andreychuk had nearly twice and many goals and points as Neely.

<< <i>Undervalued presumes that they will go up in value (relative to other cards) in the future, right? Just because a player like Tim Duncan is under appreciated does not mean his cards will ever go up in value dis-proportionally to other players. He may just be one of those guys whose cards always cost less than other similar skilled players. Doesn't mean he isn't a better play or anything like that. It's just simple supply and demand... mostly demand (or lack thereof) that determine value. Thus, in conclusion I think it is very difficult to determine someone who is truly undervalued now as compared to the future. It would seem something would have to happen to all of a sudden make the world aware of this "undervalued" gem which would cause people to start buying. I think it's a crap shoot like any card. I thus think no card is truly "undervalued." Just my two. >>

I completely disagree. If what you say is true, then why do cards ever go up in value.

• << <i>Undervalued presumes that they will go up in value (relative to other cards) in the future, right? >>

Not necessarily. It can also mean the value I place on them is under what other people do
    Tom
    I agree with Larry until that last sentence, it used to be a series or player for that matter was undervalued when compared to other similar series

or players and people would seek those cards out, or a series for some reason would become cold and people would again buy them up.

Any number of factors could cause this too.

If Larry is saying that even the series that were once over looked are where they should be than my point is moot.

IMO collectors constantly seek out what they feel is undervalued, it could be a pre war set or any card for that matter.

Hope the above made sense.

edited to attribute the comment to the proper author.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't follow the price guides that much, so I'm not sure on this topic.

But, I think - fer sure - there's guys that aren't appreciated the way some may prefer.

Tim Duncan was mentioned - I think David Robinson may fall in that category also.

Sometimes entire sets aren't well accepted - 20 yrs ago, the '55 and 56T sets were underappreciated - but then they caught fire.

There's so many years and sets to view but - in general - Topps cards had a bit of a "correction" years ago - this was probably due to the heavy speculation back in the early 90s.

I just pickup what I like.
    mike
    Mike
  • GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    I always thought a PSA 9 Bird/Magic rookie is undervalued. It usually can be had for $700-$800. I know they are not the best looking cards, but you are talking about two of the best of All-Time on one card.
    If I thought that and had the dough I'd be buying them up.

Steve
    Good for you.

<< <i>If I thought that and had the dough I'd be buying them up.

Steve >>

You do not think they are undervalued?
    I have no idea, I'm not up on that set or card.

I was simply saying if I thought that and had the dough, not that I don't think that.

That make sense?

Steve
    Good for you.

<< <i>I have no idea, I'm not up on that set or card.

I was simply saying if I thought that and had the dough, not that I don't think that.

That make sense?

Steve >>

It came across that you did not think it was. It really does not matter, I was just stating what I thought was undervalued.
    The more I think about it a card can be undervalued and never go up in value or see slight increases over the years.

Or it can be like Scott mentioned regarding between two or more players that were similar.

Steve
    Good for you.
    It came across that you did not think it was.

yeah I see that now. Nah I meant differently.

It's a great card. I have no idea if it's under or over valued.

Steve

Edited to add: I only know for certain that I don't have the dough.....lol
    Good for you.
  • PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Barry Bonds rookie cards are undervalued. Say what you want about the guy, but he's the single season and all-time home run record holder. His 1987 Fleer rookie in PSA 10 books for less than a 2002 Bowman Chrome Francisco Liriano in PSA 9.
  • RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    yeah, too bad at least 30% of those homers should have gone for routine flyouts.....
  • eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭
    Marshal Faulk rookies are very very cheap.. he is HOFer and i don't think any of his rookies are over 10 bucks

many rookie HOFers in sports other than the big 4 or named tiger woods

Tony Hawk
    Roger federer
    david beckham
    Jack nickalaus
    Hulk Hogan..haha
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Junior Seau RCs..most under a $1...and not really much else in the 90 sets.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • AlbertdiditAlbertdidit Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    Tony Gywnn
    Wade Boggs

2 of the best hiiters of all time
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    It seems there are two different issues being discussed here. One is the fact that the cards of some players, of equal (or GREATER) impact on the field/court than others, are just less than other players. There is no doubt and it's fine to point out which players "should" be worth more. Big city players tend to be worth more, loud mouth players tend to be worth more, etc....

There then is the overall issue of economics and it's impact on the baseball card world. This exchange happened a page or two back:

I SAID: << Undervalued presumes that they will go up in value (relative to other cards) in the future, right? Just because a player like Tim Duncan is under appreciated does not mean his cards will ever go up in value dis-proportionally to other players. He may just be one of those guys whose cards always cost less than other similar skilled players. Doesn't mean he isn't a better play or anything like that. It's just simple supply and demand... mostly demand (or lack thereof) that determine value. Thus, in conclusion I think it is very difficult to determine someone who is truly undervalued now as compared to the future. It would seem something would have to happen to all of a sudden make the world aware of this "undervalued" gem which would cause people to start buying. I think it's a crap shoot like any card. I thus think no card is truly "undervalued." Just my two. >>

SPORTSCARDTHEORY so eloquently said,
    I completely disagree. If what you say is true, then why do cards ever go up in value.

Cards go up (or down) in value based on supply and demand. So, for example in the late 1980's there was a tremendous DEMAND and thus all cards (on average) went up astronomically. Yes, some more than others but, in general, they "all" went up a lot and then came down a lot since then. In case you missed Econ 1a (or 101) supply and demand play an important role in ALL sales. Toothpaste at the market, gasoline for your car, stocks on the stockmarket or collectibles like baseball cards. I always remember something said in Econ class by the teacher, "the price paid for any given stock, on the stockmarket is the price when 50% of the people think the card will go up in value and 50% think it will go down in value." Same could be said of cards. You can look it up at wiki I am sure if you need more background information on supply and demand. As time goes on there will be less supply as new copies of old cards are presumably (and hopefully) never added but can be lost (by fire, etc...). Likewise, demand goes up and down for cards in general. With all that said, the average demand for any two cards (let's say, an undervalued player versus an overvalued player) will move in similar patterns up and down. Unless an exceptional (and unexpected) event happens an undervalued player's card is not going to increase (or decrease) proportionally more than an "overvalued" card. Yes, it CAN happen but on average it won't and it is essentially pure luck to pick the card that will increase more than others. Just because a certain player's cards are "undervalued" does not mean they will go up more than a player who is overvalued. The "overvalued" player has a greater DEMAND and presumably that will always be the case. Again, go back to basic econ before you "completely disagree."

<< <i>It seems there are two different issues being discussed here. One is the fact that the cards of some players, of equal (or GREATER) impact on the field/court than others, are just less than other players. There is no doubt and it's fine to point out which players "should" be worth more. Big city players tend to be worth more, loud mouth players tend to be worth more, etc....

There then is the overall issue of economics and it's impact on the baseball card world. This exchange happened a page or two back:

I SAID: << Undervalued presumes that they will go up in value (relative to other cards) in the future, right? Just because a player like Tim Duncan is under appreciated does not mean his cards will ever go up in value dis-proportionally to other players. He may just be one of those guys whose cards always cost less than other similar skilled players. Doesn't mean he isn't a better play or anything like that. It's just simple supply and demand... mostly demand (or lack thereof) that determine value. Thus, in conclusion I think it is very difficult to determine someone who is truly undervalued now as compared to the future. It would seem something would have to happen to all of a sudden make the world aware of this "undervalued" gem which would cause people to start buying. I think it's a crap shoot like any card. I thus think no card is truly "undervalued." Just my two. >>

SPORTSCARDTHEORY so eloquently said,

Cards go up (or down) in value based on supply and demand. So, for example in the late 1980's there was a tremendous DEMAND and thus all cards (on average) went up astronomically. Yes, some more than others but, in general, they "all" went up a lot and then came down a lot since then. In case you missed Econ 1a (or 101) supply and demand play an important role in ALL sales. Toothpaste at the market, gasoline for your car, stocks on the stockmarket or collectibles like baseball cards. I always remember something said in Econ class by the teacher, "the price paid for any given stock, on the stockmarket is the price when 50% of the people think the card will go up in value and 50% think it will go down in value." Same could be said of cards. You can look it up at wiki I am sure if you need more background information on supply and demand. As time goes on there will be less supply as new copies of old cards are presumably (and hopefully) never added but can be lost (by fire, etc...). Likewise, demand goes up and down for cards in general. With all that said, the average demand for any two cards (let's say, an undervalued player versus an overvalued player) will move in similar patterns up and down. Unless an exceptional (and unexpected) event happens an undervalued player's card is not going to increase (or decrease) proportionally more than an "overvalued" card. Yes, it CAN happen but on average it won't and it is essentially pure luck to pick the card that will increase more than others. Just because a certain player's cards are "undervalued" does not mean they will go up more than a player who is overvalued. The "overvalued" player has a greater DEMAND and presumably that will always be the case. Again, go back to basic econ before you "completely disagree." >>

That's a pretty long-winded way of saying that the price of any given card can and will fluctuate. I know what supply and demand is, this is why I stated that cards can go up in value. I get your point, that cards are worth what they are worth at any given moment, but a card WAS undervalued if the price skyrockets, no? If I buy card A for $10 and it goes up to $20, was it not undervalued at $10?