Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What grade would you consider these Washington quarters?

tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
I purchased a near complete set of these. All blast white and in my opinion original. All from the 40s and 50s and 60s are as nice as these 2. 30s are a mix. I wanted to keep them in a Library of Coins album but it seemed that was not such a good idea. Based upon greysheet the price does not warrant sending most in for grading. They look 63-65 range. I would like to keep them together and remain as is. So are these 2 63ish, 64ish or 65ish? Prior to these other than type or 90% I have not owned nice Washington quarters hence the 2nd opinions.

Comments

• Options
    RickMilauskasRickMilauskas Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭
    Hard to tell from the pics with lighting etc but the fields seem to be pretty clean. Look like 65's to me although the strike on the 42D is a bit off with the date and the United States of America on the reverse.
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a clashed die or something going on between "IGWT" and George's neck on the 1942-S.

1942-S MS63...hairlines on check.
    1942-D- MS64....OBV imperfections from K2 to K3
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's too bad about the slide marks across the cheek on the '42-S.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Crap I just noticed them myself. I don't think they are hairlines but slide marks. Definately popping the rest out of the album now.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Crap I just noticed them myself. I don't think they are hairlines but slide marks. Definately popping the rest out of the album now. >>

A lot of coins find something to slide on right at the mint.

I'd call the S a weak MS-64. It would be higher but these come nice.

The Denver isn't as nice.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both coins have been dipped, which is a minus for some collectors. I'd grade both MS-64 although some collectors would down grade the 1942-S to MS-63 because of the slide marks.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definately popping the rest out of the album now.

Ironically, it's not "being in" the album that causes the slide mark damage;

Rather, it's "popping coins" in an out of the album (i.e. moving the slides) that causes slide mark damage.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file