Home Metal Detecting

My first metal detector

I went on Kellyco last night and bought a Garrett Ace 250. I picked this because of all the great advice from forum members, and maybe a little from the reviews. I can't wait until it arrives. It is only 20+ degrees and windy in Pa. right now so I don't think I will be doing too much anyway. At least I will be prepared for spring. Any little tricks anyone can help with will greatly be appreciated. It's my first one. I also picked up a pinpointer because the deal was good. Thanks again to everyone for all the advice.image

Comments

• Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    this is what happens when you use a screwdriver as a pinpointer
    Notice scratch from eye to rim
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set

• << <i>this is what happens when you use a screwdriver as a pinpointer
    Notice scratch from eye to rim
    image >>

OUCH-- I'll keep that in mind
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have selected a good starter machine - hey, some people think it is a forever machine, so go for it. May I suggest you check out
    www.metaldetectingforum.com - it is a great place to learn, friendly people and lots of tips. HH Cheers, RickO
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You have selected a good starter machine - hey, some people think it is a forever machine, so go for it. May I suggest you check out
    www.metaldetectingforum.com - it is a great place to learn, friendly people and lots of tips. HH Cheers, RickO >>

Ditto on what Ricko said (and Bingo was his name-o... B I N G O... sorry, had to finish it)

You may also want to try www.treasurenet.com.
  • Thanks for the websites. I asked what was a good starter unit at a decent price some time ago, and the one I bought is the one that was highly recommended. I just can't wait to get out with it. I have a feeling I will be digging frozen earthimage

• << <i>Thanks for the websites. I asked what was a good starter unit at a decent price some time ago, and the one I bought is the one that was highly recommended. I just can't wait to get out with it. I have a feeling I will be digging frozen earthimage >>

Bah, don't get too excited. It will only find silver and gold. image
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".

• << <i>

<< <i>Thanks for the websites. I asked what was a good starter unit at a decent price some time ago, and the one I bought is the one that was highly recommended. I just can't wait to get out with it. I have a feeling I will be digging frozen earthimage >>

Bah, don't get too excited. It will only find silver and gold. image >>

Darn, I guess I will have to learn to like those things.image
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

The "Yeller Feller" is a good entry-level machine. Cheap and simple enough for a beginner or a young person, but not a toy- it's got the stuff to find the goodies. A forum friend of mine visited me here with his first machine (also an Ace 250 "Yeller Feller"), and he dug a 1927 chauffer badge from a median strip I'd hit several times with my GTI-2500. It was probably seven or eight inches down.

<< <i>I also picked up a pinpointer because the deal was good. >>

If by that you mean an electronic pinpointer, then it was money well spent. Those help a lot.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

• << <i>image

The "Yeller Feller" is a good entry-level machine. Cheap and simple enough for a beginner or a young person, but not a toy- it's got the stuff to find the goodies. A forum friend of mine visited me here with his first machine (also an Ace 250 "Yeller Feller"), and he dug a 1927 chauffer badge from a median strip I'd hit several times with my GTI-2500. It was probably seven or eight inches down.

<< <i>I also picked up a pinpointer because the deal was good. >>

If by that you mean an electronic pinpointer, then it was money well spent. Those help a lot. >>

It's just a Automax brand electronic pinpointer, but I figured for 20 bucks I couldn't go wrong.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even a cheap electronic pinpointer is better than nothing. (In fact, in my personal experience, sometimes the cheap ones are a better value than the expensive ones, though that could just be a matter of luck.)

They have a $20 Automax probe now? Man, that's a good price. I have the inline Sun-Ray Invader probe that mounts on my GTI-2500, and it uses all the detector's settings, but honestly, I got just as good or better performance out of the two $35 Tinytec probes I used to have.

Notice I said two Tinytecs- therein lay the problem with $35 Tinytec probes- they didn't last very long in my hands. But they were worth it while they lasted. I always got my money's worth and then some out of 'em. (Which I can't say for the Sun-Ray quite yet, since it was pretty expensive.)

Heck, if you take good care of that pinpointer, it could last you years.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Do not put the probe in your back pocket and then sit down. Just sayin..................
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".