Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

LARUE MARTIN and other busts...

through the kindness of a fellow board member i got some miscut blazer cards from the 70's and LARUE MARTIN was one of them..well it got me thinking maybe i might start a high grade collection of basketball players that were way hyped up and ended up being nothings..like harold minor. well can people help me find other people to collect?
my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2

Comments

• Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Kwame Brown, Greg Oden
  • Options
    Brien Taylor

Oooops....didnt see the "basketball" part of your post. But i'll leave his name up since he is likely the biggest bust of all time in ANY sport!
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh man, where would we start??

There are way more busts in basketball than any other sport for a couple of reasons.

First of all, there aren't as many professional roster spots as other sports have. So out of every year's draft, no more than 6-8 picks really see any significant playing time in their rookie year. And that's assuming that they even make the roster.

I also think that a lot of draft picks aren't used to working very hard. Think about it. These guys have all been THE MAN on any team they've ever been on for their whole life. They get into the NBA, and every player is just as good or better than he is. Unless the draftee has a good work ethic, and doesn't mind working hard (which pretty much means giving it all in practice), he will find himself on the cold end of the bench every time.
  • Options
    Sam Bowie.

-Stadium Giveaways
    -Ticket Stubs
    -Magazines
  • Options
    How about use this list? Picks the biggest NBA Draft bust for each team.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/06/25/biggest-nba-draft-busts-by-team/
  • Options
    LSU alum Ben McDonald. #1 pick in 1989 draft and only won 78 more games than I did.

Don't forget Todd VanPoppel
  • Options
    UphillUphill Posts: 360 ✭✭
    Len Bias. Things didn't turn out too well for him.

edited for spelling
    Jamie

Looking for Charlie (Charley) Maxwell cards.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Just start Clippers team sets.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926

<< <i>Just start Clippers team sets.

Nick >>

Now that's funny! (no offense to anyone image )

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just start Clippers team sets.

Nick >>

Absolutely! Then an additional set of players drafted by the Clippers who became good players on other teams.
  • Options

<< <i>through the kindness of a fellow board member i got some miscut blazer cards from the 70's and LARUE MARTIN was one of them..well it got me thinking maybe i might start a high grade collection of basketball players that were way hyped up and ended up being nothings..like harold minor. well can people help me find other people to collect? >>

Funny 'cause i was starting to collecting all rookie auto (psa/dna or bgs) #1 draft picks of NBA. I gotta tell you it's really fun to read the story of each pick. Basketball #1 draft pick unlike other sports, they are usually expected to be savior of the franchise (since basketball one superstar can really win 20-30 more by himself). It's good to read the story behind the story. This is what I have of my NBA #1 picks that turned out to be busts -

2001 #1 Kwame Brown
    1978 #1 Mychal Thompson
    1977 #1 Kent Benson

NBA #1 picks list http://www.nba.com/history/top_picks.html

• Options

Tyrus Thomas
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    If you're sticking to hoops, don't omit Ralph Sampson. I know he won ROY but coming out of high school, he was supposed to be Russell, Wilt and Kareem all wrapped into one package. I saw seemingly serious predicitions that he would win 4 straight NCAA titles.

Hype, hype, hype.
  • Options
    Mike Jordan -

we picked hm for our street team. He was taller than most of us, but he was a total spaz. What a bust of a basketball player ...
  • Options
    Mychal Thompson wasnt a bust, certainly not on the Kent Benson or LaRue Martin (or Pervis Ellison or Michael Olowokandi) level. He didn't produce as much as you'd want from the #1 pick, but he played for 12 seasons, mostly as a starter, including for 2 world championship teams.

That was also one UGLY draft year. Larry Bird (#6 pick) is the only HOFer selected that year, and only 5 players selected that year ever made the All-Star team - Bird, Reggie Theus, Michael Ray Richardson, Mike Mitchell, and Mo Cheeks. About the only other really good players picked were Phil Ford, Wayne Cooper, Michael Cooper, and Purvis Short. I would rate Thompson as about the 5th or 6th best NBA player from that draft.

BTW, Thompson is a great signer TTM (he's a Lakers broadcaster currently).

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Gotta agree. Mychal Thompson was a really fine player until he broke his leg in a pickup game. Even still, he was a key player on some of those great Lakers teams. How about Joe Smith? A #1 pick, and a guy that ended up getting an organization penalized as well.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    Christian Latner (sp?)
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    take your pick

Cubs First Round Draft Picks

or for Mad Men watchers, many would argue for January Jones'

• Options
    The Jazz did really well with the picks of Magic Johnson (except that they traded that pick to the Lakers for the past-his-prime Gail Goodrich) in 1979 and Dominique Wilkins (except that they traded him to the Hawks for the past-his-prime John Drew) in the 80's. A couple of busts for them...
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    Sam Bowie wasn't really a bust, he wasn't great, but not a bad player.
  • Options
    I remember Joe Barry Carroll had the best nickname. Joe "Barely Caring". I think he had a few good years but not much after that.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    Latrell Sprewell.

coulda had it all. didn't even need to be great. turns out, he was too greedy in times of unbridled giving. nothing else comes close.
  • Options

<< <i>Latrell Sprewell.

coulda had it all. didn't even need to be great. turns out, he was too greedy in times of unbridled giving. nothing else comes close. >>

How was Latrell Sprewell a bust? he had a solid NBA career. Heres a good list:Top 10 basketball busts
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Latrell Sprewell.

coulda had it all. didn't even need to be great. turns out, he was too greedy in times of unbridled giving. nothing else comes close. >>

How was Latrell Sprewell a bust? he had a solid NBA career. Heres a good list:Top 10 basketball busts >>

bust, as an intransative verb, means "to go broke". in that regard, he ranks right at the top. image
  • Options

<< <i>Oh man, where would we start??

There are way more busts in basketball than any other sport for a couple of reasons.
    . >>

I was just going over the #1 for baseball since 1980 and I could only find a few future HOF players, for basketball a bunch
    Looking for in PSA graded
    1. 75-76 Topps Keith/Jamaal Wilkes in Psa 8+
    2. 1971-72 Trio stickers PSA 8+
    3. BSKB 1977-78 topps psa 10

Basketball Autos
    1992 Courtside Flashback
    Action Packed HOF Autos(need elvin hayes,both bill bradley,and the 1st bill walton)
    2001 and 2005 Greats of the Game
    UD=retro,epic,legends,legendary,generations and chronology
    2006 Topps Style 1952 Fan Favorites Autos #/10 (Refractor Autos)
    Press Pass Legends
  • Options
    image Top 10 Busts chooses Kwame Brown as the #1 failure, based in part on his inability to get along with teammates, "noticeably GILBERT ARENAS........."

that is ironic, indeed.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did a thread on the 92 Classic Draft Prospect Set - one can see some dismal failures in that one.

And, the year before, tho not a total bust - the 91UD Johnson and Matumbo were going for like 20 bucks a piece at one point - now? Half a buck?

I'll be glad to offer up a 100 card classic draft set which includes Shaq for a cold Bud!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Michael Jordan was a bust. Drafted #3 overall and only hit .202.
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    From an Oakland Raiders fan, maybe it's too early but

JAMARCUS RUSSELL

• Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    Danny Ferry? I just remember he was a bust in the collecting world, anyway.
  • Options

<< <i>image Top 10 Busts chooses Kwame Brown as the #1 failure, based in part on his inability to get along with teammates, "noticeably GILBERT ARENAS........."

that is ironic, indeed. >>

They sugarcoated his off-court activities. He didn't throw birthday cake at a pedestrian by accident; he saw someone walking carrying a birthday cake, went over to that guy, and pushed the cake up into the guy's face. He then stood there laughing about it until Lamar Odom came over and pulled him away. Odom's friends talked the guy out of calling the police on Kwame and paid him a wad of cash on the spot. I know 2 people who saw the whole thing - it happened in one of L.A.'s hottest nightlife areas.

My quip, as a Laker fan, was "Kwame is Swahili for Benoit".

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

• Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    How about baby Jordan....Harold Minor and he got drafted by the Cavs if my memory serves me correct...he sure wasn't a baby Jordan....
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    Shawn Bradley...all seven feet, 6 inches of him
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    i just pulled the buy it now on a psa 9 larue martin rookie...so card one for my big busts collection
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2