Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How many log in at work?

How much lost productivity goes on by logging into this highly addictive site while they are at work. I want to feel better about myself by knowing that I am not the only one.
Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars

Comments

• Options
    MJB14MJB14 Posts: 39 ✭✭
    I might if I could, but I might get fired if I did. Not worth the risk.

Collecting anything Dan Fouts, Jim Rice, Chris Webber, Ron Francis & Coming Soon: Aaron Hernandez.
  • Options
    TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    I do a couple times a week. Usually, during my lunch. Not that my boss would care if I did it occasionally.
  • Options
    richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    I would say the contrary, if I didn't log in at work my mind wouldn't be so content in doing the huge, never ending daily grind of workflow.

I think it is a positive.

no ?
    Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
  • Options
    onefasttalononefasttalon Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭
    Ya... I check the boards CONSTANTLY while at work.
    I have ultra-high speed internet at work... that helps.

ALWAYS Looking for Chris Sabo cards!

• Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    It's blocked at my place of work. Probably a good thing since I teach. Day off today though!
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    I will log on and then minimize until I get some free time and then repeat that process throughout the day image

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never, and with my boss looking over my shoulder right now, I'm only posting because a member here told me they were interested in one of our products, and to post the prices and ordering information on this thread because they wanted to place a big order.
  • Options
    No big deal here. I have my own office and in many ways I'm my own boss.
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    All day, every day. I honestly have no idea how my class functions on a day to day basis. All the people working for me take care of everything and only come to me during a crisis.

It's so good to be LPO!
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    I sit in my office and goof off all day long. Occasionally I'll sell a car or get someone financed too.
  • Options
    forcably retired so yes i do it all the time at home,, lol,, bj
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    I used to log on through the store's computers a couple times a day, but with our DSL connection it would slow down the rest of our computers from what they're supposed to be used for. Ever since I got internet on my phone, I update the boards at least a dozen times a day.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    I log in more at work than I do at home.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    I might if I had a jobimage
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    I'm on a lot on slow days, less on normal days, twice on busy days.
  • Options
    I login when Im at school in my computer class.

• Options
    KarbKarb Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I log in more at work than I do at home. >>

QFT!
    Robert

Hoarding silver and collecting history
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I surf the web on my droid a
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    Im at work right now
  • Options
    fired for logging into a sportscard message board? how ludicrous indeed.
  • Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭
    All the time
  • Options
    No comment... image
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm on all the time at work, gives me a nice 5 minute break. I still get my job done, and a couple other people jobs done, so it's all good. image
  • Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭

<< <i>It's blocked at my place of work. Probably a good thing since I teach. Day off today though! >>

What do you teach?
  • Options
    bziddybziddy Posts: 710 ✭✭✭
    I am generally logged in from work. I'll refresh the screen once every 5-90 minutes.
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Never - probably blocked anyway.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    I would be risking my job if I visited this site at work. That's all I want to say about that, especially since I am home now trying not to think about work.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Not to be judgmental but I wonder how many of you that do log in while you are supposed to
    be working would feel about it if you were the owner of the company that was losing the productivity?

I sense your attitude regarding this would be different.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Not to be judgmental but I wonder how many of you that do log in while you are supposed to
    be working would feel about it if you were the owner of the company that was losing the productivity?

Steve >>

Actually, the freedom to do that at work is kind of part of the company culture where I work.

How would the owner feel if they took away freedoms from the employees and they 'worked' more hours in the day but were less productive doing so? Happy employees are productive employees.
  • Options

You can try to justify it all you want, if I owned a company and people were chatting on the internet on my dime

they would be looking for a new job.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options

How would the owner feel if they took away freedoms from the employees and they 'worked' more hours in the day but were less productive doing so?

He would probably feel that he had the right to terminate them from his place of business. Would be my guess anyway.

These freedoms that you speak of, you take them in front of the boss? Lets say you are in the middle of a thought here and the boss
    asks you something, do you say "hold on I'm in the middle of a chat" I'll be right with you. I know you want me to be happy.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How would the owner feel if they took away freedoms from the employees and they 'worked' more hours in the day but were less productive doing so? Happy employees are productive employees. >>

This forum would have to be a very big distraction for employees since no one can just look for a few moments and then get back to work.

BTW, it depends on the skill level we're talking about.

It's my experience that hourly wage employees work best when someone's "supervising" them every minute of the day - that's just reality.

mike

Mike
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can try to justify it all you want, if I owned a company and people were chatting on the internet on my dime

Steve

Agree with Steve...unless it's on break or lunch, though...work ethic in the U.S. is fairly sad though, so this is no surprise, unfortunately..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>You can try to justify it all you want, if I owned a company and people were chatting on the internet on my dime
    >>

Glad I don't work for you then. There is also a pretty big difference between chatting and reading a message board for 5 minutes. I agree that unmitigated internet usage negatively impacts work performance, but sporadic use is no different then smoke breaks, coffee breaks, personal calls, restroom breaks, breaks to clear your head. People are going to waste your dime one way or another. If they are accomplishing everything you ask them to do and then some, do you care?

<< <i>How would the owner feel if they took away freedoms from the employees and they 'worked' more hours in the day but were less productive doing so?
    He would probably feel that he had the right to terminate them from his place of business. Would be my guess anyway. >>

How would the owner know?

<< <i>These freedoms that you speak of, you take them in front of the boss? Lets say you are in the middle of a thought here and the boss
    asks you something, do you say "hold on I'm in the middle of a chat" I'll be right with you. I know you want me to be happy. >>

Am I embarrassed if my boss comes into my office and sees my browser open to something not work related? No. I don't tell him to hold his thought while I finish a post however.

<< <i>Not to be judgmental but... >>

Just as an FYI -- if you open with a statement and then follow it up immediately with "but..." you are negating the opening statement. "Not to be judgmental, but I am going to judge you."

--------------------------------------
    You have to understand that I have no idea what industry you work(ed) in and you probably don't know what I do. My job does entail being on a computer 8-12 hours a day and supporting users of software and services -- some of them internet based. Internet access and freedom of access are integral to my job such that my company has an acceptable use policy which clearly states what we are and are not allowed to do. Reading this message board falls within acceptable use guidelines.
  • Options

<< <i>You can try to justify it all you want, if I owned a company and people were chatting on the internet on my dime

Steve >>

image You're a theory X manager...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Not to be judgmental but I wonder how many of you that do log in while you are supposed to

Steve >>

Actually, the freedom to do that at work is kind of part of the company culture where I work.

How would the owner feel if they took away freedoms from the employees and they 'worked' more hours in the day but were less productive doing so? Happy employees are productive employees. >>

I totallly agree!
    Happy employees produce more in less time than it take unhappy employees a full day's work..
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    I teach PE and the computer in my gym office is not on the school network somehow so I log in once and a while to see what shenanigans are going on that day. Lately they have been less productive and entertaining than ever.
  • Options
    I do, but I use my Droid. The company frowns on internet usage, while there is no penalty(for all I know), why risk my internet history showing up on their servers.
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    I never feel right using the toilets at my workplace. I always leave my logs at home
  • Options
    sure! when your the boss you can do ANYTHING YOU DAMN WELL PLEASE....its good to be KING
  • Options

Just as an FYI -- if you open with a statement and then follow it up immediately with "but..." you are negating the opening statement. "Not to be judgmental, but I am going to judge you.

More justifying what you know is wrong.

And FYI my opening statement regarding this was non judgmental, the ones that followed were.

Is it wrong at all places of business? Probably not, is it at yours? I have no idea, is it wrong in general?

You bet it is.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    Ummm NO it is not negated when followed with a question.

Please notice the question mark at the end of my sentence.

"Not to be judgmental but I wonder how many of you that do log in while you are supposed to
    be working would feel about it if you were the owner of the company that was losing the productivity? <================================

I suppose I could have written it this way:

Not to be judgmental. I wonder how many of you that do log in while you are supposed to

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ummm NO it is not negated when followed with a question.

"Not to be judgmental but I wonder how many of you that do log in while you are supposed to
    be working would feel about it if you were the owner of the company that was losing the productivity? <================================

Not to be judgmental. I wonder how many of you that do log in while you are supposed to

Steve >>

Wow. Now I feel really bad. Now I won't be able to sleep well at night. Some cranky fart on a message board asked me how I would feel if I were the owner of the company.

Well since I'm not the owner of the company; since I'm just another underpaid, faceless name on his payroll; I'll tell you that I couldn't possibly care less.
  • Options
    WinPitcher, I work for myself out of my house and I am constantly logged on costing myself productivity....so should I be mad at me? image
  • Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭
    Doin it now image

Hopefully the boss won't catch me and let me go image

Wait....I can't fire myself image
  • Options

<< <i>Ummm NO it is not negated when followed with a question.

Steve >>

It would be better if you said this:

I wonder how many of you that do log in while you are supposed to be working would feel about it if you were the owner of the company that was losing the productivity?

This conveys what you were trying to ask -- "If it was costing you, as a business owner, would you still be so cavalier about internet usage?" There is no need for the "Not to be judgemental" part, unless you really wanted to judge.

I'll give you another example -- if you are at a meeting discussing methods to fix something and you provide you opinion/idea and someone else says "That's a great idea, but what if we did this instead?" What they have just told you is "While that idea has some merit, it is nowhere near as good as mine."

At any rate, the whole concept was a generalization on your part and I understand where you are coming from.
  • Options
    bziddy

It would have been nice if you had simply answered the question.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Wow. Now I feel really bad. Now I won't be able to sleep well at night. Some cranky fart on a message board asked me how I would feel if I were the owner of the company.

Well since I'm not the owner of the company; since I'm just another underpaid, faceless name on his payroll; I'll tell you that I couldn't possibly care less

Wow I won't either (lose sleep( simply because some AH douche bag on some message board called me a cranky fart.

I couldn't care less that you are underpaid and faceless. maybe the reason you are underpaid

is that your boss feels you are an ignorant douche bag? Is that possible?

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>..........maybe the reason you are underpaid

is that your boss feels you are an ignorant douche bag? Is that possible?

Steve >>