Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1980-81 basketball

The box states 24 cards per pack. Im assuming this means 8, three card panels. is this correct? Or is it 24, three card panels per pack?

Comments

• ive wondered the same.

Also, does PSA grade single panel cards?
    -Stadium Giveaways
    -Ticket Stubs
    -Magazines
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I just opened two packs from the group rip, they definitely mean 8 cards/24 panels. Not sure on the grading, I'm guessing not.
  • LittletweedLittletweed Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

<< <i>ive wondered the same.

Also, does PSA grade single panel cards? >>

8 cards per pack, 3 panels per card

PSA only grades full cards, not the individual panels that have been seperated

Matt

• Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone have a guess as to why single panels from this issue are so disregarded in the hobby? Other cards were issued in panels that were separated, like Berk Ross, and 1951 Topps boxing don't have this stigma. Does PSA grade singles of 80-81 BKB?

The cards were designed to be separated.

I don't get it.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    I don't see why they wouldn't grade them as authentic.
  • LittletweedLittletweed Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't see why they wouldn't grade them as authentic. >>

They might, but I've never seen one. That's why I assumed they don't. I'm sure there's someone out there that has tried to grade them.

It might be possible though.

I'll send one in on my next sub and see what happens.
    Matt

• sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't see why they wouldn't grade them as authentic. >>

They might, but I've never seen one. That's why I assumed they don't. I'm sure there's someone out there that has tried to grade them.

It might be possible though.

I'll send one in on my next sub and see what happens. >>

I really don't see how they couldn't. They can grade a card ripped in half as authentic, but not a card that is supposed to be ripped? I guess we will see.
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Anyone have a guess as to why single panels from this issue are so disregarded in the hobby? Other cards were issued in panels that were separated, like Berk Ross, and 1951 Topps boxing don't have this stigma. Does PSA grade singles of 80-81 BKB?

The cards were designed to be separated.

I don't get it. >>

They grade individual 4 in 1's, so I can't see why they wouldn't grade the individual cards from this set.
  • AricAric Posts: 757 ✭✭
    Anyone have any insight as to why Topps used such a weird concept for this set and what the reaction was? I acquired a couple collections of basketball back in the late 80's and neither had any cards from this year. They would have the 79-80's and the 81-82's but none of the 80-81's.
  • jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone have any insight as to why Topps used such a weird concept for this set and what the reaction was? I acquired a couple collections of basketball back in the late 80's and neither had any cards from this year. They would have the 79-80's and the 81-82's but none of the 80-81's. >>

a similar format was used in 1971/72 for the trio stickers, which were very popular so in typical topps fashion, when low on ideas recycle old designs, seem to be the status quo for most 80's sets (83 baseball, 85 football, 87 and 88 baseball)

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• << <i>Anyone have any insight as to why Topps used such a weird concept for this set and what the reaction was? I acquired a couple collections of basketball back in the late 80's and neither had any cards from this year. They would have the 79-80's and the 81-82's but none of the 80-81's. >>

One rumor/urban myth?, that Topps wanted out of the contract on printing basketball or to renegotiate their contract with the NBA and the NBA said no, so Topps figured it would be cheaper putting 3 players on a card and the next year 81-82 they made east, midwest, and west boxes thinking it would increase sales, both failed in sales and then Topps and the NBA could not agree on a contract thus no basketball except Star co. until Fleer stepped up in 1986. this was one explanation I heard back in the mid to late 80's.
    take it for a rumor or the truth .