Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

Will Anybody Donate Junk Baseball cards to a good cause? I will gladly pay the shipping. UPDATED

I am starting to receive a few packages of cards that folks offered to donate. Please don't forget to send them if you mentioned that you would help out. I am trying to let folks know that I received the cards as soon as I get them.

A huge thank you to all of the board members who generously donated cards and shipping to my cause. The 5th and 6th grade baseball players on my team will be happy to once again receive some free cards. Thanks again. Sincerely, Dean Adkins - Centralia, MO

Hi, I have coached 3rd through 6th grade youth recreational baseball here in Centralia, MO for several years. I give all of my players about 5 junk baseball cards after each game. I also have an end of the year picnic and I give each kid a graded card, a signed baseball, or whatever cool odds or ends I have at the end of the season. I do this to reward their hard work and try to promote our hobby of collecting baseball cards and to make them aware of what a graded card is. I generally give my MVP the first pick and then I draw numbers for the other 11 to 13 kids and they pick by how close they was to my number. I also give the kid who gets last pick a surprise and give him a little extra stack of cards since they got stuck with the last pick. That usually raises their spirit a little. This year I will be back in 5th and 6th grade. My problem is that I have pretty much exhasuted all my raw card junk over the last 6 years. If any of you fine folks out there would be interested in donating your odds and ends junk to my cause then if you need me to, I would catch the shipping. We live in St. Louis Cardinal country so whenever they can get Cardinal cards they are really happy but I want everyone to know I am not picky just a thought if you have tons of stuff laying around that is just cluttering up your closet. If you would like to help me out then shoot me a PM and I will post a reply to this once I get enough offers because I am fairly certain a lot of you guys are going to offer to help me out. I just want to say I really enjoy these board and I am making new friends as I have already done some trades and bought a few cards from board members. Thanks in advance to all for considering this. Sincerely, Dean Adkins

Comments

• Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice read and a great thing your doing. image

I've got I think 100,000 sitting in my storage shed with all sports from mostly 1986 to 1993 but can't get in there due to the snow and in all honesty they have been sitting there going from one extreme of the weather to another so don't know how they are being effected by that.
  • Options
    tigerdeantigerdean Posts: 903 ✭✭✭
    Jeff, definitely don't need 100,000 image and already have one person who responded and is sending. Again, I am not picky, if they are worn, faded, or not. If you can get to them and want to send some that would be great. If I get a bunch then I will just hand out that many more to the kids. Thanks again, Dean
  • Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Jeff, definitely don't need 100,000 image >>

And neither do I. image

Most are in 800 count boxes and others in priority flat rate boxes and others in whatever the would fit in. Condition wise not a lot of worn cards but I probably won't be able to get in that building until spring. image

Edited: Because my spelling is horrible today.
  • Options
    scotgrebscotgreb Posts: 808 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    I love this.

My daughter is a 5th grade teacher and has been using cards as part of a reward system for quite awhile now. I have been supplying her with lots of cards and what we do is make up packs in graded card bags so that we can put a local team(Dodgers or Angels) on the outside and mix misc in between thereby making our own "cello" packs.

We also have some actual graded cards for a extra reward and she uses Topps American Heritage cards in promoting her history lessons. The kids love them ! !

Anything to help promote education is awesome to me. Our teachers need more support.

I would like to add a special thanks to those of you that have sent me cards for this in the past. You know who you are - THANKS
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife's friend has a son who is bedridden (potentially permanently) and I was able to give about 10,000 cards from all sports, including a bunch of Chicago based teams. Felt real good, not to mention cleared up a bunch of closet space. I've got another box of about 10,000 ready to go to him. Very rewarding. It was a lot of fun to put together a bunch of supplies, some older Becketts, auction catalogs, some SLUs, albums, pages, etc. I figure if he really likes it he's got an instant collection and if not, trade bait for video games.

I highly recommend finding a needy kid and doing the same.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dean, sorry I can't send a pm.... mine doesn't work anymore for some reason. Anyhow, I have some that I would like to send. I can get you some raw stuff and I will also send a couple of graded cards. You can send your name/address to my e-mail and I'll be glad to get some stuff to you. My wife will probably like it that I get rid of some too! I like what you and others have done!

Thanks!
    Tim
    Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    PM your address, I've got some 08 - 09 stuff I'll send your way.
  • Options
    PM me and I will sort through my cards and see what I can send you.
    I collect PSA graded 1980-81 Basketball.

Successful transactions with bouwob, lifeshouldbefun, SDSportsFan, Bkritz, tsalems1, kwtoz, johnny1976, Topps29, Calaban7, nascar20, bking, bedellsonics, Beck6, Dialj, Echocanyon, mdkuom, gosteelers, artimus.
  • Options
    WFFLWFFL Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    PM name and address.

Thank you,
    Gregg
  • Options
    I am giving this thread a bump. I have got some people who are donating cards and not one person has asked for shipping. I am just looking for 2 or 3 more to donate and I will be good for awhile. Thanks to everyone of you who have responded! I really appreciate your help. Sincerely, Dean Adkins
  • Options
    Bump for my update.
  • Options
    Another bump for a new update.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    PM me your address, and I'll have a nice Flat Rate box headed to your house soon. Great idea for the kids!

I've actually heard of Centralia before, that's the headquarters for Hubbell Power Systems! I'm in the same industry, and we buy from them all the time. Good stuff! image
  • Options
    Yes, A.B. Chance was the founding company and Hubbell is the bread and butter employer of our little town of 3,500. Thank you so much for helping with my cause. I am especially thankful because it looks like there will be a few that said they would send some stuff who wont follow through but I guess that is to be expected. Thanks again. Dean
  • Options
    Dean, just wanted to let you know I havent forgotten about you. The only big lot of commons I could easily dig out were some 89 Fleer so I figure I would pass on those. I did, however, pull out 6 graded cards and about 70 other mixed cards of folks like Rose, Bench Seaver, Carew, Garvey, McGwire, Bonds, Yaz, Schmidt, Seaver... etc. Mainly stuff from the 80's, but a few as far back as 1971. Figure this could be the better stuff for you to give out with the commons. I'll probably get them out tomorrow.
    Tim
  • Options
    Cards shipped!
  • Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭
    PM me your address
  • Options
    I sent my address via pm. Thank you for helping as there were several who said they would help and didn't. Thank you again to my fellow board members who did help. I have really received a nice mix of cards to give to the boys. They are going to love it. Dean
  • Options
    Please PM me your address and I'll send some cards out!
  • Options
    Dean, just wondering if you got the cards I sent????
    Tim
  • Options
    Tim, I absolutely received the great mix of cards you sent. I thought I had let you know that I got them. You were very generous and I sincerely appreciate it! Dean
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    ttt

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    Hi: I have a case of 88Donruss you ncan have. Give me an address. Aidens grandpa
    allen d. phillips
  • Options
    Dean: I shipped your case by USPS this morning. According to the Postman you should receive them
    in 7 to 10 business days. If you don't get them please let me know. I hope the kids enjoy them.
    allen d. phillips
  • Options
    That is so cool. The kids will love them. I always give them a graded card at the end of the season. Nothing special but I draw numbers and then who is closest gets first pick and on down the line. I will probably include the cards you donated with my graded card at the end of the year picnic. I think giving a graded card helps spike interest in our hobby. If even one kid off the team gets seriously interested in cards then I am happy. Are they wax packs, sets, or just loose? Thanks so much for your generosity. Dean
  • Options
    Dean: It is a factory sealed case of wax packs.
    allen d. phillips
  • Options
    That is so cool. They will get to do some ripping. I will try to get some pics. Thanks again. Dean