Home Precious Metals
Options

Help ID these old silver bars please

coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
Pulled out some more old stuff from the safe deposit box today.

Does anyone know what they are or their worth?

The only one I found is Consolidated mines and metals is this a true representative of the value?

Comments

• Options
    AgBloxAgBlox Posts: 744 ✭✭
    Consolidated mines bar is worth a few bucks. The AMC bar is similar to NCM bar, I wonder if they are related? Just from the Looks of the AMC I'd say it would bring a slight premium. The CM bar would probably sell around $30/oz.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Ok, first off, ebay these.

2nd, the best one is the Consolidated Mines and Metals. I have seen it sell for 30-40/oz!!

the 2nd best one is the AMC ODGSO, and last one is that round one. The round one will probably do ok but the best is the Consolidated Mines and Metals. It came out of San Francisco in the 1980s and is rare. Much rarer and cooler than the Homestake Mining bars. Some collectors care about condition and the stamp, your Consolidated stamp is a little worn and not as sharp but should do very good

Good luck and post an ebay auction so I can follow the price image You will be happy with them
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    I doubt anyone would pay a premium on the silver blob, probably just melt value on that one b/c its ugly and not marked with a name.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    bamafan gets lots of people to pay big money for his blobs imageimage

the amc and the consolidated will do very well. I am trying to recall what odgso stands for but can't remember. Forgot it since I am no longer collecting

coinsarefun, check your pm as there is someone here (not me or agblox or justacommeman or norseman) who collects who you should offer these first to. Really good person to deal with and he would enjoy them for his collection.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    CiccioCiccio Posts: 1,405

<< <i>
    the amc and the consolidated will do very well. I am trying to recall what odgso stands for but can't remember. Forgot it since I am no longer collecting
    >>

You forgot 'cause you are not getting any younger! image

ODGSO=Office of Domestic Gold and Silver Operations

I didn't know, just googled it.
    This should be interesting. Didn't have time to read it yet.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>
    >>

You forgot 'cause you are not getting any younger! image

ODGSO=Office of Domestic Gold and Silver Operations

I didn't know, just googled it.
    This should be interesting. Didn't have time to read it yet. >>

You beat me to it on the ODGSO. The hyphenated number beneath it sounds lik the identification of some law or regulation.

As to confiscation, the old laws are irrelevant. Any hypothetical confiscatory act can hypothetically void or amend any earlier act. There is nothing sacred about pre- or post-1933 gold.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    "As to confiscation, the old laws are irrelevant. Any hypothetical confiscatory act can hypothetically void or amend any earlier act. There is nothing sacred about pre- or post-1933 gold.

TD "
    image I get so mad at dealers at shows selling pre 1933 gold coins this way!

Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    Silly question, but what happened in 1933? Was that when the govt said no person can own gold or silver?
    Remember that the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent.

BSTs with: Coll3ctor, gsa1fan, mkman123, ajbauman, tydye, piecesofme, pursuitofliberty

Travelog - 20in20travels.com
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    but what happened in 1933

The US mint stopped producing gold coins in addition to the gold confiscation act. The mint began producing gold coins again in 1986.
    gold confiscation act of 1933
  • Options
    Then whats wrong with selling a 1933 cold coin as something special?
    Remember that the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent.

BSTs with: Coll3ctor, gsa1fan, mkman123, ajbauman, tydye, piecesofme, pursuitofliberty

Travelog - 20in20travels.com
  • Options
    No 1933 Double Eagle $20 GOLD coins were EVER suppose to be released. They never were legally monetized.

I stated wrong firstimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options

<< <i>Then whats wrong with selling a 1933 cold coin as something special? >>

Some people will tell you the only way to own gold is to purchase Pre '33 gold. Theory is you wouldn't have to turn them over to the officials if they Reinstated the act.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No 1933 GOLD coins were EVER suppose to be released. They never were legally monetized. >>

In that case, why isn't the Secret Service confiscating the 1933 gold $10 eagles that appear in public auctions?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Was it just the double Eagles then?
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Was it just the double Eagles then? >>

Yup. Only the $10 eagles were legally issued.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.