Home Metal Detecting
Options

First hunt of 2010

I haven't been out since before Christmas so it was great just to get out for an hour. $1.25 in change and my first coin was a nickel. I know it's been longer than that for some of you. I hope that I can get out a few more days in January. For awhile I thought that I might get skunked for the month.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations just on getting out there. Too cold for me, and expecting a deluge here today - at least it is not snow. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    KarbKarb Posts: 557 ✭✭✭
    I wish winter would hurry up and end already. Another blizzard today. Whooppee!
    Robert

Hoarding silver and collecting history
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear you got out for a little bit.

Still another two months or so until I can get out. So, until then, you need to get out more and share your finds!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't swung the coil since April of 2009.

Probably will, though, before hot weather comes around again in April of this year. Our springs are fairly short if you consider them over by the time the humidity rises to the eighties or nineties and the skeeters come out.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are no skeeters in my neck of the woods right now. No snakes either.
  • Options
    None here, either... yet.

Give 'em just a week or two. They'll be out with a vengeance here. Out for blood. MY blood.

About the time I am fully ready to get back in the field, they'll be the size of hang gliders.

Actually, I've noticed that Northern skeeters are sometimes bigger than our Southern ones. But ours come in bigger swarms- clouds of 'em. You can swat big skeeters when they come in twos and threes. When they are small- to medium-sized and come by the dozen (or thousand), there ain't much you can do except offer yourself up as a chew toy- a blood sacrifice to the Skeeter gods.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    We have several different types of sucking insects. Mosquitos are one of the early ones to appear and there are many different ones too. The first to appear look like they are standing on their nose with the butt in the air. They are easier to see and kill. The next kind are quite tiny and bite with vengeance and are hard to see. Then there are a few more and it doesn't matter which ones are out, they all suck blood. Then in the first week of May black flies come to dinner. They draw blood and the blood will actually run down the side of your face if that is where they get you. favorite places are behind the ears, elbows and around the ankles. But none are so bad as the no-see-ums, a miniscule little turd that cannot be seen by the naked eye most of the time. They leave a burning fire that lasts for quite some time. But even though we know they are out there waiting for a human dinner we still go out and make our offering.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    Yep. We have no-see-ums, too. Call 'em sand gnats in this neck o' the woods.

Your black flies- are they more like horseflies, or deer flies? We have both. Both leave a bite that feels like you've been hit with a tiny poisoned dart.

• Options
    Here in Michigan we have two different kinds of mosquitos.
    One kind is really small, and can come into the house through the openings in the screen in the door.
    The other is great big, and just opens the door and walks in.

Ray
  • Options
    One time, at the naval airbase near here, during WW2, a flight crew put several hundred gallons of gas into what they assumed was a B-17 bomber, before it bit them and they realized what it really was.

• Options

<< <i>Yep. We have no-see-ums, too. Call 'em sand gnats in this neck o' the woods.

Your black flies- are they more like horseflies, or deer flies? We have both. Both leave a bite that feels like you've been hit with a tiny poisoned dart. >>

More like a gnat. They swarm overhead relentlessly and then a squadron comes in for the kill.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    grounds still frozen here in these parts. i cant wait to get back out as well happy hunting
  • Options

<< <i>One time, at the naval airbase near here, during WW2, a flight crew put several hundred gallons of gas into what they assumed was a B-17 bomber, before it bit them and they realized what it really was. >>

Okay, Lordmarcovan.....................
    you win.

Ray
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There isn't a single mosquito in Minnesota. They're all married and have very large families.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.