Home Sports Talk
Options

A streak that will never be broken, but will it be extended?

Forget Wilts 100 point game or 20000 woman. Forget Joltin' Joes 56 game hitting streak. The question now is will the most incredible (and selfish) streak in sports history get extended.

Will Brett Favre blow off his eight consecutive Pro Bowl? I know he got knocked around pretty well this week but what about the other seven. I'll tell you why. You cannot pad any stats in the Pro Bowl. Favre being a stat whore only does things for himself.

If they were 14-1 and had home field clinched but were playing the Lions or Rams the last game he would be out there like a mad bomber.

How ironic. Last pass last week was an unecessary touchdown throw to rub it in. He was jumping up and down like a junior high girl who just had her first kiss.

This week his season ends in overtime with his last pass being an interception, just like the last time he was in NFC championship game two years ago.

I cannot wait to update my trailer line.

Comments

• Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Frank , Frank , Frank !!!!!!
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After the beating he took out there tonight, I'd be surprised if he was able to even get out of bed for thext few days. But way to smear a guy when he's down, real classy of you there..image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

<< <i>After the beating he took out there tonight, I'd be surprised if he was able to even get out of bed for thext few days. But way to smear a guy when he's down, real classy of you there..image >>

i am sure as a vikes fan you werent happy to see favre fail when he was in GB, right??

but he just might start the pro-bowl. after all if he doesnt A. Rodgers will start it. Brett cant stand for that as we all know.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    It's only fair to know the extent of the injury before expecting him to play in the Pro Bowl. Dude took a beating tonight.
  • Options
    I think baseball sums it up rather perfectly, and no, I'm not a Vikings (or Packers) fan, either...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    Frank , Frank , Frank !!!!!!

oh sonny, i know the truth hurts. image for those to take time to read my post there is not one thing in there that is false.

i would give him a pass on next week if he had not done this seven times in the past. he thinks he is too good for the game.

i think one of the reason that card collecting and fantasy sports and gambling have blossemed is that people love sports. they just don't like many of the players, you can have fun with them and at times even make money without having to worship them.

last week sunday with the aftermath of haiti and the massachusetts election or local news (st. louis 10pm) went the lead story of "cardinal carivan." this is an event where about 2500 fans crowd into a hotel room and fork over large sums of money to get players autographs. the jist of the story was that mark mcgwire was being mobbed and loved by almsot all attending. what a joke. one dissenter was sporting a cardinal maris jersey.

pardon me for upsetting those who average five+ posts a day, every day including holidays and weekends. you are free to make fun of me.

the truth is that baseball was and still is full of cheaters who get worshipped for half hearted apologies. the nba has many thugs that just happen to play superior basketball and have more money than brains. and brett favre is a me-me-me person.

i will say this to vikings fans. green bay dumped him and found a very good quarterback, the jets sent him packing and got a qb who played well enough to get them as far as favre went this week. so vikings fans cut the strings, give sage a chance and in the long run all will be well.

• Options
    Most amazing thing in all this is that he was really selected to the Pro Bowl last year, not even close to being among the best

This year he is completely deserving and completely understanding that he will skip it, but no one can deny it is definitely a unique stat
    Tom
  • Options
    Any player who skips the pro bowl (whether due to injury or just not wanting to go) should be forced to give their bonus for making the pro bowl to charity (and all of these guys have bonuses written into their contracts for pro bowl elections). Why pay a guy a bonus when he's not going to skip it? They surely won't miss the money, and a charity will be more than happy to get a huge influx of cash especially given these tough economic times where donations are down.
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    Not the Octomom, but now the Octomiss

If they only they counted stats in this game, he would be there.

Who can tell me that in all of those eight misses he could not have gone there (or out to Hawaii) and played a series or two, waved to the fans and have a good time. I remember Emmitt Smith walking around with a hand video camera yukking it up with players who tried to pummell him the rest of the season.

The chances of Favre getting hurt are nil. You cannot even blitz in the Pro Bowl. Just one more reason is and always will be a selfish prima donna.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brett probably doesn't remember whether he's announced his annual retirement yet so he's sitting out the pro bowl to play it safe.

Glad I don't have to look at his wife's angst ridden face during the super bowl.
  • Options
    I had a BLAST watching him play this year and hope he comes back , for MORE than 1 year ! He isnt done !
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure he made a bad pass and terrible decision at the end of regulation, BUT he is not the reason the Vikes lost. There were 2 turnovers in the red zone that should have and would have been 14 more points!

Give the guy a break, he had a great year. Were would the Vikes been without him, probably about 8 and 8 and watching TV in Jan instead of playing.

He is still three times the QB as Sanchez. Sanchez didn't take the Jets to the AFC Champ. He rode along with the defense and running game. He may turn out to be really good, but he is not there yet.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Brett probably doesn't remember whether he's announced his annual retirement yet so he's sitting out the pro bowl to play it safe.

Glad I don't have to look at his wife's angst ridden face during the super bowl. >>

Just wait -- when summer rolls around and:

a. you can't get any decent QB to sign with you because they don't want to back up Favre WHEN he decides to play another year
    b. he hasn't announced yet and is making statements that he's 90% sure he's retired, so you're not sure you even want to pony up for a vet QB
    c. Sage & Tavaris and whomever you DO have is left twisting in the wind during OTAs

you MIGHT just have another take on this.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    As a person who lives in the great state of Minnesota, but absolutely despises the VIKES......

I watched the guy play all year and quite frankly, I don't see ANY quarterback in the NFL
    that can fling the ball and do it with accuracy the way FAVRE does.....40-50 or more yard
    accuracy passes.

There are several very good quarterbacks in the NFL, but, I personally believe he is the
    best on putting the ball ON THE RECEIVER, no matter where that rec'r is on the field.

With that said, I would also say that he can, at times, be a big baby, and sort of a
    PRIMA DONA, and a general pain in the arss when it comes to the retirement thing
    or comeback thing......I also don't blame the Pack fans who turned on him, because
    I believe he sort of turned his back on them....

But, once again, you gotta give him his due.....he is without a doubt, a super QB.

Tony
    KalineFan

• Options
    Theczar, did Favre like steal your girlfriend in high school or something? Your obsession with him and his career is a bit strange..

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I also don't blame the Pack fans who turned on him, because
    I believe he sort of turned his back on them.... >>

Frankly, I'm surprised when he played Green Bay at Lambeau he didn't get shot!
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    theczar..........you sound like an obsessed freak! I'm willing to guess that you don't know Brett Favre, you've never met him before and probably never will meet him. Why so much anger and hate? In what way did he hurt you? Who cares if he changes his mind about retiring or not. Who cares if he decides to skip the Pro Bowl. Just relax and enjoy his games. If you don't like him, don't watch.
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i>theczar..........you sound like an obsessed freak! I'm willing to guess that you don't know Brett Favre, you've never met him before and probably never will meet him. Why so much anger and hate? In what way did he hurt you? Who cares if he changes his mind about retiring or not. Who cares if he decides to skip the Pro Bowl. Just relax and enjoy his games. If you don't like him, don't watch. >>

The Czar's main obsession is to have some of the greatest baseball sets ever put together.

I know talking about other people's favorite players in a non positive light , is not always pleasant. I don't see anyone refuting him.

I'm from Baltimore and we are supposed to have all these sports heros. Some were , but when you can easily see the crimnal activity that they have partaked in , or the non-quantified bad character ( cheating , lazy , reversed rascism , etc ), they are no longer the great people others pretend they are.

We are all measured by the deeds we do , both on the field and off. I know its not PC to talk or even notice some of the deeds that others do. The deeds are there , even if its not proper to discuss.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I plan on very much enjoying the game between the Saints and Colts. I just don't have any heros there , as others do.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    I read that Favre once pulled the wings off a fly just for the heck of it...

• Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I also don't blame the Pack fans who turned on him, because
    I believe he sort of turned his back on them.... >>

Frankly, I'm surprised when he played Green Bay at Lambeau he didn't get shot! >>

why is that?
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's