Home Sports Talk
Options

Question about the best NFL quarterback rankings, keyed into career stats vs. rings.

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
Mr. Ed, John elway of the Broncos is close to the top in many statistical categories. However he is 2-3 in Superbowl games.

He is considered a great quarterback by many, but not one of the best.

If instead of him being 2-3 in Superbowl games he was 4-1 or 5-0; and if his career stats remained the same, how would he be viewed?

Would 2 or 3 more Superbowl wins result in Mr. Ed being viewed as the best NFL QB ever (or in the top 3)?

Apply this same logic to other QB's. For example if Jim Kelley of the Bills had won 4 Superbowls instead of losing 4 how would he be viewed. What if Montana and Bradshaw had Super Bowl records of 0-4, 1-3 or 2-2 instead of 4-0? How would they be viewed?

How much impact or effect does a QB's Superbowl record (or whether he played in a Superbowl game at all) on the QB's overall position in the rankings of great QB's?

Comments

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭
    The thing that always boggles my mind is what if they had a different players on the team or if they had played on a different team altogether?
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It certainly matters in HOF voting, but I don't think it's really fair to judge a QBs greatness by the # of rings he has, because he cannot choose the players around him and many great QBs were stuck on very mediocre teams (Marino) while some not so great QBs were on exeptional teams (Bradshaw).

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marino is another QB with great stats and no rings.

Brady and Peyton Manning are current day QB's that fit into the mix. Brady is 3-1 on the Super Bowl and the luster on his name at 3-1 is not the same as it was when he was 3-0, or what it would have been if he was 4-0. Peyton Manning is 1-0 (I think he has played in just one Superbowl). If he was o-1 -r had never made it to the Superbowl he would not be viewed in the same light he is today.

So, my question was specifically about Mr. Ed of Broncos fame.

If he was 5-0 instead of 2-3 in the Superbowl, where would he be on the list of the best NFL QB's?

Would he be #1 (Bradshaw and Montana are 4-0, so at 5-0 Mr. Ed. would arguably be better than them) or at least in the top 3?.
  • Options
    If he was 5-0 instead of 2-3 in the Superbowl, where would he be on the list of the best NFL QB's?

I'd put him on that list even if he hadn't won a single ring, but if he had won 5, that most certainly would have nudged him at least a notch or two higher, I'm sure,,,image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting topic but like other ones regarding say "best ever" type threads it is subject to personal opinion as there is no infinite correct answer.

I always like to break down NFL greats into different categories such as by Decade, position ect..

Now talking QB position John Elway was one of the best along with Marino, Elway, Moon & Montana.

Marino blows Cool Joe away with stats but nobody says he was better than him, however if Montana didnt win those rings then Marino would be considered better.

If Jim Kelly won those 4 Super Bowls he would be considered one of the best ever.

In my opinion Super Bowl wins do define whether a QB was one of the best or not, I disagree with it.
  • Options
    When it comes to being the very best in history, those Super Bowl wins are exactly what puts Montana ahead of all the others. When it comes to simply being one of the best, reaching the game five times, even with a poor record is what puts Elway right up there with Marino, Manning, Favre, Unitas. . .
    Tom
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In this whole thread a QB who is 3-0 in Super Bowls wasn't even mentioned. And as far as pure passers he was one of the best!
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    so only modern QB's are in the discussion? or do championships that arent SB's count??
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    In this whole thread a QB who is 3-0 in Super Bowls wasn't even mentioned. And as far as pure passers he was one of the best!

Aikman was a very good, even outstanding QB, but he certainly wasn't one of the all-time greats...without E. Smith and Irvin and arguably one of the best offensive lines in history, he'd have zero rings, which is my point: it is unfair to use Super Bowl rings to truly define a QB's greatness...if Terrell Davis hadn't come to town, Elway would have finished his career 0-3 in the Super Bowl, but he was still the same QB with or without the rings. He was just fortunate to have stuck around till TD elevated the Broncos to the championship level.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>so only modern QB's are in the discussion? or do championships that arent SB's count?? >>

I thought that Modern era QB's were the point of the OP, like I mentioned in my post I like to break down the "Best" by Decade because in my opinion you cant compare an Otto Graham to a John Elway.
  • Options
    I may open a can of worm here, but I don't think the old time QB's are as good as the modern QB's. The reason I say this is look how these guys throw the on a rope. The old guys didn't have the arms. They threw rainbows. I'm not putting down the old teams, but do you think the old Green Bay packer teams that won all of those Championships could play with the Dallas team of 92-93. I don't think they would stand a chance. Look at the difference of the lines. The players now are so much bigger and stronger and faster that there is really no comparision. If you could put the corners now like Deon Sanders and some of the other best ones now back in the 50's. Those guys would be lucky to complete any passes. These guys close on the ball so quick you have to have a cannon to get the pass in.

Another great QB left out here is Steve Young who is argueably one of the best of the best. I know he was in a great system and had Jerry Rice. But he was one of the best at reading defences and if you didn't stay home he would kill you with his legs. And he could put the ball where he wanted it. I hated the 49er's but you have to give him his due.
  • Options
    +1 to Dimeman.

(...and by the way, I have a complete Rosie set minus the last two years and I am only missing one Mercury....and I am sure you can guess which one.)

Clear Skies,
    Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    As I mentioned in the other thread, it is unfortunate IMHO that the number of rings is the overall standard being pushed by media. I think that Peyton Manning is one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time based on the bar he has raised for QBs in the league. I think it is next to impossible to label a single QB as the greatest, especially taking different eras into consideration. However, I think the number of rings is a ridiculous argument when evaluating the greatness of a QB. As far as the initial post goes had Elway gone 5-0 in Super Bowls he would be at the top of most lists. If Jim Kelly won 4 SB titles in a row many would put him on the list.

At the end of the day you play to win a Super Bowl. However, I think it's a lazy man's argument to point to ring count without taking a close look at the numbers. It takes a team effort to win a SB.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
    who are the top 10 all time best QBs (I realize I listed 11)?

Manning
    Montana
    Marino
    Elway
    Tarkenton
    Graham
    Brady
    Young
    Moon
    Favre
    Unitas

but honestly, if your LIFE depended on 1 game, and you HAD to pick a QB to play it from his prime, it would be Manning. How could it not be?

John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

<< <i>who are the top 10 all time best QBs (I realize I listed 11)?

Manning
    Montana
    Marino
    Elway
    Tarkenton
    Graham
    Brady
    Young
    Moon
    Favre
    Unitas

but honestly, if your LIFE depended on 1 game, and you HAD to pick a QB to play it from his prime, it would be Manning. How could it not be?

John >>

My top 5 imo

Elway
    Montana
    Unitas
    Favre
    Bradshaw

edit- I didnt include Manning or Brady because they have several years left in their careers.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<but honestly, if your LIFE depended on 1 game, and you HAD to pick a QB to play it from his prime, it would be Manning. How could it not be?>>>

Manning has had too many 1 and outs in his playoff career for me to put him in that spot. For me, it's a toss up between Montana and Brady, but I'd lean toward Brady. Brady is a miraculous catch away from leading his team down the field to win in the final minutes 3 times in 4 Super Bowls. He's as clutch as they come.

As for the G.O.A.T discussion, it's an almost fruitless endeavor because you have to weigh so many factors and everyone weighs them differently (listed in no particular order):

1. Surrounding cast
    2. Physical tools (arm strength, accuracy, avoiding pass rush, etc.)
    3. Era (teams threw less in the 60s/70s yet threw more INTs, teams throw way more now and way more accurate)
    4. Stats (skewed by #3)
    5. Super Bowl wins
    6. Playing environment (dome, cold weather city, warm weather city)
    7. Leadership
    8. "Clutchness" in important games.

I tend to put a lot of weight on #s 1, 2, 5, and 8. Since I never saw Johnny Unitas and Otto Graham play, I don't know where to rank them. They probably deserve to be in the top 5, but if we are looking at the last 30 years, (which is all I'm really familiar with), then my list looks like this:

1. Brady
    2. Elway
    3. Manning
    4. Montana
    5. Young
    6. Marino

I put Brady at the top because if you combine all those things, he has almost all of them on his side. Same with Elway. Brady and Elway both played with pretty mediocre offensive talent around them for the majority of their careers, playing in cold-weather cities. The one year Brady finally had some legitimate weapons, he threw for 50 TDs. Once Elway finally got a RB to help him out, he won 2 SBs.

Manning is probably the best leader of anyone on that list, and will end up with the best stats of them all. But he has also had 2 HOF WRs on his team and a potential HOF TE, throwing in a dome 9 times a year, and with 2 other games in warm weather cities every year (JAX and TEN), making his life a little easier. His postseason record is just mediocre, and on the way to his only Super Bowl win (so far), he had more INTs than TDs in the postseason with a 68 rating. They won that Super Bowl in spite of him. He's writing a much better story this year though.

Montana had the greatest WR ever, and maybe the best offensive system ever to work with, to the point where it almost wasn't fair. Ditto for Steve Young, who may have had the best physical skills of anyone to play the position, when you factor in his running ability.

Marino was probably the best pure passer of the group, and had the most dominant season of any QB ever in 1984 (even better than Brady's 50 TDs, or Manning's 49 TDs seasons), given that the league was still predominantly a run-first league. But he was an awful leader, and didn't have much going for him other than the stats.

All-in-all. its an interesting discussion, but seeing where the league is heading in terms of offense and rule changes, it wouldn't surprise me if a QB comes along sometime in the next 20 years, and goes 5-0 in Super Bowls, breaks all the passing records, leads his team to 19-0, and leaves no doubt that he is the G.O.A.T.
  • Options
    Sure Peyton had some recent one and dones but that's the great thing about using the stats in a discussion. When Indy lost in the first round in SD a year ago Peyton played well enough for the team to win. Just another example of how much praise/criticism goes to a QB based on the outcome. If Indy wins the Super Bowl I believe Manning will be 7-2 in his last 9 starts at QB in the playoffs. This is going to sound like a bitter Indy fan, but how does "spygate" impact the way Brady is regarded by history? Great QB? Absolutely. His fault it happened? No way. Either way I'm enjoying the discussion. Of course the other factor is that there are more seasons to be played.
  • Options
    It's hard to rank QB's of this talent. I agree with most list, not necessarly the orders.

BUT I would put Aikman and Roger S. in the mix and leave out Moon and Tarkenton. Tarkenton got 90% of his yards by throwing a 5 yard pass to White then he would run 20-50 more. Fran didn't have the arm of any of these QB's mentioned.

Oh, and another pretty good QB was a guy out in S.D. who threw for tons about the same time period as Marino. Remember Fouts. One of the best AFC Championships back then was between Miami and S.D.
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    The great recent QBs are certainly more popular and more important in the overall game than years ago.
    They probably are better trained, better fed athletes as well, but some might have more narrow or limited FB talents.

The Pro FB game has changed, passing is now much more vital, than before, QBs are no longer required to be smart enough to call the plays anymore,
    the rules have changed and allow "specialized" players, with a smaller very specific skill set, a chance to become greats of the game,
    despite shortcomings as all around FB players.

Sammy Baugh a pretty fair QB before TV glamorized the game so much,
    in one season, led the NFL in passing yards, also punting average ( He still holds that all time record I believe ), and interceptions by a defensive player.

Bronco Nagurski was an all pro running back, and for a few seasons, an all pro defensive lineman.

Otto Graham, who could throw as well as any of today's QBs,
    has won 7 pro FB world titles or rings, more than anyone, and has been in the title game EVERY single pro season he ever played, ten in all.
    He also also played a season in the NBA.
    This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.