– Don Drysdale, 1984
– Ralph Kiner, 1975
– Lou Boudreau, 1970
– Herb Pennock, 1948

Does anyone have a name to add?

Comments

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    How many HR titles did Ralph Kiner win? He hit almost 400 HRs in like 10 years before a major back injury ended his career. Nothing controversial in my mind.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    I do not take serious issue with most of those names, but I definitely think Carter and Niekro belong. I would give serious consideration to Reese, Fox, Aparicio, Eck and Bunning (I would have to ignore the lunacy that consumed him in his old age).

Kiner's career was very short for a HOFer.
  • Options

<< <i>From Joe Posnanski:

– Andre Dawson, 2010
    – Jim Rice, 2009
    – Bruce Sutter, 2006
    – Tony Perez, 2000.
    – Catfish Hunter, 1987
    – Don Drysdale, 1984
    – Ralph Kiner, 1975
    – Lou Boudreau, 1970
    – Herb Pennock, 1948

Does anyone have a name to add? >>

Ludicrous. They all are deserving.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I do not take serious issue with most of those names, but I definitely think Carter and Niekro belong. I would give serious consideration to Reese, Fox, Aparicio, Eck and Bunning (I would have to ignore the lunacy that consumed him in his old age).

Kiner's career was very short for a HOFer. >>

All that is required, by rule, is ten years. Kiner led the National League in homeruns seven consecutive years (1946-1952), and played in the All Star Game six consecutive years (1948-1953). In his ten year career, he hit 369 homeruns.

In my opinion, all the players mentioned deserve to be in the Hall of Fame.

Steve
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For anyone to even remotely suggest Ralph Kiner as a HOF member was controversial is plainly ignorant.

He should have been in before 1975- End of discussion on Kiner-

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I do not take serious issue with most of those names, but I definitely think Carter and Niekro belong. I would give serious consideration to Reese, Fox, Aparicio, Eck and Bunning (I would have to ignore the lunacy that consumed him in his old age).

Kiner's career was very short for a HOFer. >>

Niekro isn't the worst pick but in a very long career, he never won a Cy Young and wound up on the voting only 6 times. Now I realize that some of that is attributed to his teams and the ignorance of the voters but still it leaves a lot to be desired IMO when talking "Hall of Fame". I have no problems leaving him out personally. As for Carter, he was overall a very good catcher and had a very good career but I still don't think his numbers (even for a catcher scream "Hall of Fame". Had he attained the same career totals over maybe 3 years less I might have a little more respect for him but, once again, I personally have no problems leaving him out.

As for Kiner, his career was indeed short. 10 years to be exact. But that is the minimum that the Hall of Fame has set for induction and his average numbers in those 10 years (missing 41 games in his last year) are:

149 OPS+
    37HR
    102 RBIs
    97 Runs
    .279/.398/.548

Why did kiner leave the game so early? Did he have a career ending injury? Just wondered?

I think it was worthy though I wouldn't make it a point to argue the matter at any length with anyone who didn't feel the same way. >>

• Options
    Kiner was a man among boys, and if you dont understand his short career or his dominance of the league, you have no business making lists lol.
  • Options
    Maranville and Sisler belong on that list more than Kiner and Drysdale. Either way, nine or 10 screw-ups over more than 70 years is a pretty amazing track record

And once again, just think that a few years ago it was only five or six mistakes over more than 60 years. . .
    Tom
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why did kiner leave the game so early? Did he have a career ending injury? Just wondered?

I think it was worthy though I wouldn't make it a point to argue the matter at any length with anyone who didn't feel the same way. >>

>>

Found on Wikipedia:

"On June 4, 1953, Kiner was sent to the Chicago Cubs as part of a ten-player trade. This was largely due to continued salary disputes with Pirate general manager Branch Rickey, who reportedly told Kiner, "We finished last with you, we can finish last without you."

Kiner played the rest of 1953 and all of 1954 with the Cubs, finishing his career with the Cleveland Indians in 1955. A back injury forced his retirement at the age of 32, with 369 home runs, 1019 runs batted in and a .279 lifetime batting average."

Also, he was 23 when he made his major league debut in April 1946 (after the end of WWII).

Steve

• Options
    thanks
  • Options
    I wouldnt call electing one person a year loosening standards.