Home Precious Metals
Options

Scrap Silver ???

What am I missing here ?

Comments

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    lol no idea. I am wondering if some ebayers even read the description? If you just look quickly at pics, they might have thought, hey its silver and lets see how many FV there is. They gonna be in for a shock!

Unless I am missing something about those coins too.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deceptive auction. Take a picture from just far enough away that you can't easily see the dates, then include a list in the auction. That's intentionally misleading, but not illegal, as far as I'm concerned. Caveat emptor.

However, using the word "silver" anywhere in that auction, including the title, is clearly willful intention to deceive. There is no silver in any of those coins.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Coll3ctorColl3ctor Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭
    Now here is some real nice silver image
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    2nd row - 3rd coin on right could be a 1942/1

but 9 old mercs for $30 is great
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

Holy Crud, over 30X Face on those Mercs. image I could make a fortune if I could piece my "junk" silver out that I'm asking 13.2X's face for.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    Sheesh, at least include 1 pre-64 to justify the 'scrap silver' in the auction title image
    BarefootJuan

Positive BST Transactions with a bunch of members

One man gathers what another man spills
  • Options

<< <i>Holy Crud, over 30X Face on those Mercs. image I could make a fortune if I could piece my "junk" silver out that I'm asking 13.2X's face for. >>

No Merc. just plain clad at 30x face

COINS IN THE LOT::
    Washington Quarter-1965,1970,1978,1979,1980,1981,1981,1982,1983,1983,1984,1985,1985,1988
    Roosevelt Dime- 1977,1987
    Jefferson Nickel- 1970,1977,1982,1983
    "If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Now here is some real nice silver image >>

Was talking about this link he posted later on.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    Yeah the guy who bought the Mercs. got it worse than the clad person!
    "If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt
  • Options
    imageimage
  • Options
    What I want to know is How do people like that sleep at night?
    Molon Labe
  • Options

<< <i>What I want to know is How do people like that sleep at night? >>

They don't sleep. All shisters are scum and they are the scum under the scum.image
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Holy Crud, over 30X Face on those Mercs. image I could make a fortune if I could piece my "junk" silver out that I'm asking 13.2X's face for. >>

No Merc. just plain clad at 30x face

COINS IN THE LOT::
    Washington Quarter-1965,1970,1978,1979,1980,1981,1981,1982,1983,1983,1984,1985,1985,1988
    Roosevelt Dime- 1977,1987
    Jefferson Nickel- 1970,1977,1982,1983 >>

Were the dates added to the listing late, after people had bid?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>Were the dates added to the listing late, after people had bid? >>

I think that information would be separated if added after bids were placed. The listing would say something like " On January XX, the seller added the following information" followed by whatever had been added, so it was probably there from the start.
    Bob

• Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Now here is some real nice silver image >>

Was talking about this link he posted later on. >>

These are the Mercs. In a reply middle of page.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    Gotta wonder what the hell is wrong with some people image

Clicky
  • Options
    As much as that one turns my stomach, it's not deceptive. It's misleading to the gullible, but there is no lie being told there.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

<< <i>As much as that one turns my stomach, it's not deceptive. It's misleading to the gullible, but there is no lie being told there. >>

Unless you just look at the pictureimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>As much as that one turns my stomach, it's not deceptive. It's misleading to the gullible, but there is no lie being told there. >>

Unless you just look at the pictureimage >>

Exactly. But you can't hold everyone's hand. The image is in fact that of the types of silver coins you should expect to get if you win your 1 ounce of 90% silver US coins, as the auction states. It is poorly done, or maybe misleading as I indicated--unless you accept responsibility for your own actions and actually read the auction you're bidding on.

There's a picture of a grape vineyard on the box of raisins. But the label tells you you're getting 10 ounces of dried grapes, not the whole vineyard.

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    "There's a picture of a grape vineyard on the box of raisins. But the label tells you you're getting 10 ounces of dried grapes, not the whole vineyard. "

Are you sure image

• Options
    konsolekonsole Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    so its not against ebay policy to say "scrap silver" in the title when there obviously isnt any silver in the auction?

Also the people that bid on the mercs might have had the dimes mixed up with quarters when they were calculating the 3.x times face.
  • Options

<< <i>so its not against ebay policy to say "scrap silver" in the title when there obviously isnt any silver in the auction?

Also the people that bid on the mercs might have had the dimes mixed up with quarters when they were calculating the 3.x times face. >>

I hope it is. There are three auctions being discussed here. The one I'm referring to is where the seller shows a huge pile of actual 90% silver coins, but states the auction is for 1 ounce of them.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    As long as you guys are talking about bad ebay auctions -

I bought a gold pamp suisse bar that was supposed to be in it's original assay card. It arrived loose in an envelope, no assay card. Am I wrong in wanting to return it? Does it lower the value for it not to be in a card?

All the other ones I have are in the assay card and I'm OCD and will never like this bar, I just want to know if I'm wrong.
  • Options
    If it's not in card and was listed in one I'd return it.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    Yep. Return it. There is no excuse for that.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    sumrtymsumrtym Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    The auction in the OP is not the only one...this is a different seller, same sort of thing

Another deceptive "scrap silver" auction

Absolutely no silver in that one either, and bidding is at $11.50 (shipping on top of that is as much as the worth of all the coins to begin with...).

Are people REALLY this stupid?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If it's not in card and was listed in one I'd return it. >>

Why not contact the seller and negotiate a price adjustment?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    so my dad has alot of time on his hands (retired) and likes to get out

my dad attends the local hotel where there is a "gold and silver buying eveent"

he says he has $100 face 90% to sell, whats your price? $6.00 an ounce replies the guy behind the table.

my dad says "are you nuts?"

the guy says "let me call my boss" - he then comes back with $10 per ounce.

so my dad says what is your price per $1 face? the guy explains, we dont buy it like that. hmmmm.

i suppose a smile and a little laughter ensued (I know my dad) - and he says "no deal"

I dont know why my dad likes to aggrevate himself with these characters, I think he does it for fun.

• Options
    Here we go again image
  • Options
    scams everywhere on ebay it seems..sad they get away with it and sad people dont look hard enough at the auctions.