Home Sports Talk
Options

You know what they say about opinions...........

Yea, yea, yea, everyone has one and they all stink....................What is it lately with former players coming out and expressing all this negativity about McGwire? I certainly don't support or condone what he's done at all, but by publicly bashing him isn't making one's self look any better. We all know what he did - even before this admission - we all know it was wrong - we all know it helped him stay healthy, on the field and hit more HR's. We all know all of this. Is it really necessary for former players (Clark, VanSlyke and now Fisk) to tell us something we already know? Get over it already - there's nothing you can do about it, you don't have to accept it and you certainly don't have to lower yourselves to publicly kick someone when they are already down. The truth is out there - maybe not all of it - but it's out. Have some class and take the high road.

Comments

• Options
    If any of them really cared they would have said something 10 or 15 years ago, if not while still active.
    Tom
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If any of them really cared they would have said something 10 or 15 years ago, if not while still active. >>

If you were there and knew about it but didn't say anything then, you are part of the problem!!!!!

Steve
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion these guys that are bashing him are jealous of the money & fame that guys like McGwire and company received while playing as opposed to themselves.

Some of these guys are prolly thinking that they could have made a TON more money and played longer if they did the PEDS, they did not therefore are angry about him "Cheating" and getting much more bottom line dollars out of it.

Just my opinion.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Perk I agree with you that they are jealous of the money but I think most of them think it cost them money because of how it inflated everyones numbers but them. I good point was brought up about Wally Joyner who hit I think 22 hrs as a rookie. That was considered pretty good but when McGwire and everyone started hitting 40+, a first baseman hitting only 15 to 20 HRs a season was now a liability.

It cut short their career and their pay was also depressed due to whom they were compared to. They basically had to compete in FA with similar age players who were "more rejuvenated" then themselves and made it tougher to get starting jobs or better pay. In reality this is the situations you hope your union prevents not supports.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    The fact that McGwire could go on national television and say that he would have hit those home runs without the juice is sad and pathetic. I'm glad these guys are giving him and the others a reality check. He looked like an idiot in the interview and deserves what he is getting. Maybe lying for 10 years makes a person think diffrently.
    At the same time, where were the complaints from these guys when it was happening? All of these players are looking out for themselves. Stating the obvious after the fact is pointless. This era could have been avoided but the money it generated was much more important than the integrity of the game.
    Bud Selig is STILL the commissioner so that should tell you how bad they want to fix the problem.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Its a gang mentality in those locker rooms. Do you think if they ratted out one guy that team wouldn't rat out their guys? Nobody was saying anything or else receive the Jose Canseco treatment.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    Let's cut these guys some slack. I think we forget that it's not like they called up a reporter and said "come ask me". Somebody came up to them to get an opinion, and at that point they are "damned if you do, damned if you don't". They can either blow it off and look bad (or perhaps even get someone asking about them using) or look bad for bashing the guy. At least this way they look honest and candid, even if a bit tardy.

----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options

<< <i>Let's cut these guys some slack. I think we forget that it's not like they called up a reporter and said "come ask me". Somebody came up to them to get an opinion, and at that point they are "damned if you do, damned if you don't". They can either blow it off and look bad (or perhaps even get someone asking about them using) or look bad for bashing the guy. At least this way they look honest and candid, even if a bit tardy. >>

I think the ONLY reason McGwire came clean is because he wanted back in MLB other than that he would of kept quiet, so no kudos or slack to him from me.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Paul,
    I think the previous poster was talking about guys being interviewed and asked to give their opinion about McGwire, not McGwire himself.
  • Options
    McGwire is a lying juicer and I have been saying that for years, and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

He was classless and continues to be clueless about his "ability" without the drugs how many MORE games would he have missed due to injury/recovery time etc.
  • Options

<< <i>McGwire is a lying juicer and I have been saying that for years, >>

In his defense, he didn't start lying about it until only a few weeks ago
    Tom
  • Options
    Whatever you do don't blame LaRussa, he just learned about it saturday.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>McGwire is a lying juicer and I have been saying that for years, >>

In his defense, he didn't start lying about it until only a few weeks ago >>

Don't get me wrong, I am in no way defending him, but I never recall him lying about using PED's.
  • Options
    google Mark McGwire and it takes only a few seconds to find this gem:

"The only reason I took steroids was for health purposes"
    Tom
  • Options
    I think you mean "wealth" purposes.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Paul,
    I think the previous poster was talking about guys being interviewed and asked to give their opinion about McGwire, not McGwire himself. >>

Yep; guess I wasn't clear.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
  • Options
    And now, yet another player (from a long time ago) couldn't resist keeping his yap shut and lowered himself to giving his opinion. Ferguson Jenkins couldn't help himself and put McGwire on the cloths line out to dry on something we all already know. It happened, let it go already, your insightful opinion isn't anything we all didn't already know. Give it a rest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Couldn't your comments concerning these players be equally levied upon yourself, or me, or anyone else on this board who has expressed their "opinions" many times concerning the very same subject matter? That they have a national forum to express their opinions merely reflect their accomplishments of which you nor I nor most of the people here can boast. Heck at the end of the day, your giving your opinion on other people giving their opinion. Can't you resist giving yours? >>

Very good question, I appreciate that..............I don't have a professional baseball history and am not known nationally. The media isn't asking me for my opinion and if that were the case from a PR standpoint, I'd have to take the high road - if I were nationally known. To express my opinion on a collectors message board is a completely different scenerio. Additionally, a story isn't being released about my opinion through the AP.