Home Sports Talk
Options

2010 daily Red Sox Trivia

Comments

• Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    Feb 1:

Q: Which two Red Sox legends were the first members of the club to have their uniform numbers retired, May 29, 1984?

A: Joe Cronin (4) & Ted Williams (9)
  • Options
    Feb 2: MY BIRTHDAY!!!

In 1975 and 1976, Red Sox players wore a special patch commemorating the 200th anniversary of Massachusetts statehood.

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday! image
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

<< <i>Happy Birthday! image >>

Thank You!
  • Options
    Feb 3:

Q: Who holds the Red Sox club record for most career triples?

A: Harry Hooper (130)
  • Options
    Feb 4:

Red Sox right fielder Earl Webb holds the Major League record for most doubles in a single season with 67 in 1931.

• Options
    Feb 5:

Q: On February 16 1909, the Cleveland Indians (then known as the "Naps") traded Charlie Chech, Jack Ryan, and $12,500 to the Red Sox for which future Hall of Fame pitcher?

A: Cy Young
  • Options
    Feb 6/7:

Red Sox pitcher Cy Young tossed the first perfect game in American League history, setting down 27 straight Philadelphia Athletics batters on May 5, 1904.

• Options
    Feb 8:

Q: Who was the first Red Sox player to hit 20 or more home runs and steal 20 bases in the same season?

A: Jackie Jensen in 1954 (25 home runs and 22 stolen bases)
  • Options
    Feb 9:

The Red Sox failed to post a winning season in the 1920's. image
  • Options
    Feb 10:

Q: Off which pitcher did Red Sox slugger Ted Williams hit a 3-run home run in the eighth inning of the 1946 MLB All-Star Game?

A: Rip Sewell of the Pittsburg Pirates
  • Options
    Feb 11:

Red Sox second baseman Bobby Doerr hit the first home run in a night MLB All-Star Game, connecting in the second inning of the 1943 Midsummer Classic off National League pitcher Mort Cooper.

• Options
    just got back from the long weekend...

Feb 12:

Q: What club did the Red Sox defeat in the 1912 World Series?

A: New York Giants
  • Options
    Feb 13/14:

In 1986, John McNamara became the first Red Sox skipper to earn manager of the year honors.
  • Options
    Feb 15:

Q: Where was Red Sox pitcher Jonathan Papelbon born?

A: Baton Rouge, Louisiana (Nov 23, 1980)
  • Options
    Feb 16:

In the second of two games played on April 19, 1926, Red Sox outfielder Ira Flagstead started three double plays, the only time that has happened in American League history.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Feb 2: MY BIRTHDAY!!!

In 1975 and 1976, Red Sox players wore a special patch commemorating the 200th anniversary of Massachusetts statehood.

image >>

Mass became a state in 1788:

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Feb 2: MY BIRTHDAY!!!

image >>

Mass became a state in 1788:

image >>

You are 100% correct! Massachusetts officially became a state (commonwealth) on Feb 6, 1788.

However I think it's refering to this:

July 4, 1776
  • Options
    Feb 17:

Q: What was the given first name of Red Sox infielder Pumpsie Green?

A: Elijah
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    K,

Thanks for posting some very cool Red Sox pics!! I particularly like the Jackie Jensen and Ted Williams photos.

Well done sir!!

Al
  • Options

<< <i>K,

Thanks for posting some very cool Red Sox pics!! I particularly like the Jackie Jensen and Ted Williams photos.

Well done sir!!

Al >>

I'm actually having a lot of fun with this thread. Hunting down all the pics is actually pretty cool since I'm seeing a lot that I have never seen before. Not to mention that this thread is really padding my post count...
  • Options
    Feb 18:

Boston second baseman Hobe Ferris committed the first error in modern World Series history, fumbling a ball hit to him in the first inning of Game 1 of the 1903 World Series.

BTW this photo came from an awesome collection that you can view here:

The McGreevey Collection
  • Options
    Feb 19:

Q: Which member of the Red Sox holds the Major League record for most assists by a first baseman in a season?

A: Bill Buckner (184 assists in 1985)
  • Options
    Feb 20/21:

"I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about is is when I'm playing it."
    -Carl Yastrzemski

• Options
    Feb 22:

Q: Which National League club beat the Red Sox in the 1946 World Series?

A: St. Louis Cardinals
  • Options
    Feb 23:

The first American League player to make 8 plate appearances in a single game was Red Sox outfielder Clyde Vollmer, who did so on June 8, 1950.

• Options
    Feb 24:

Q: In what year was Jason Varitek named the Red Sox first team captain since Jim Rice?

A: Dec 24, 2004

***On a side note, my GF is absolutely in love with Varitek! She has actually told me on many occasions that she would never cheat on me with anyone unless it was him. She sleeps in a long sleeve jersey/t shirt with his number on it and has even flashed him up at Fenway during pre-game warmups! She named her Australian Shephard Tek and even has a personalized 8 x 10 of him framed and hanging in her bathroom!***
  • Options
    Feb 25:

Red Sox pinch-hitter Jim Gosger was the last player to bat against future Hall of Famer Satchel Paige in a Major League game, September 25, 1965.

• Options
    Feb 26:

Q: Who was the first Red Sox player to collect 6 hits in 1 game?

A: Jimmy Piersall (first game of a doubleheader on June 10, 1953)
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>***On a side note, my GF is absolutely in love with Varitek! She has actually told me on many occasions that she would never cheat on me with anyone unless it was him. She sleeps in a long sleeve jersey/t shirt with his number on it and has even flashed him up at Fenway during pre-game warmups! She named her Australian Shephard Tek and even has a personalized 8 x 10 of him framed and hanging in her bathroom!*** >>

So your girlfriend is Heidi Whatney? Excellent!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>***On a side note, my GF is absolutely in love with Varitek! She has actually told me on many occasions that she would never cheat on me with anyone unless it was him. She sleeps in a long sleeve jersey/t shirt with his number on it and has even flashed him up at Fenway during pre-game warmups! She named her Australian Shephard Tek and even has a personalized 8 x 10 of him framed and hanging in her bathroom!*** >>

So your girlfriend is Heidi Whatney? Excellent! >>

I could only wish!

• Options
    Feb 27/28:

The initials TAY (for Thomas Austin Yawkey) and JRY (for Jean Remington Yawkey) appear in Morse code in two vertical stripes on the manual scoreboard on the left-field wall at Fenway Park.

(I actually knew this already. Don't ask how because I have no idea.)

• Options
    Mar 1:

Q: Who was the first member of the Red Sox to hit 3 home runs in one game?

A: Jim Tabor (second game of a doubleheader on July 4, 1939)
  • Options
    Mar 2:

Red Sox pitcher Bill Dinneen pitched the first shutout in World Series history, topping the Pirates 3-0 on October 2, 1903.

• Options
    Mar 3:

Q: Which outfielder wore uniform # 7 for the 2007 World Series Champion Red Sox?

A: J.D. Drew
  • Options
    Mar 4:

The Red Sox were the victims of the first-ever unassisted triple play in Major League history, turned by Cleveland's Neal Ball in the first game of a doubleheader played on July 19, 1909.

• Options
    Mar 5:

Q: Which pitcher wore unifrom number 61 for the 2004 World Series Champion Red Sox?

A: Bronson Arroyo
  • Options
    Mar 6/7:

On June 23, 1917, Red Sox pitcher Babe Ruth was ejected after walking the first batter in a game against Washington. Ernie Shore relieved Ruth, the runner was retired trying to steal second, and the next 26 Senators batters were retired in order, for a near-perfect game.

EDIT: The above picture is actually a cutout of the one below.

• Options
    Mar 8:

Q: On April 20, 2007, the Red Sox wore green caps and jerseys in memory of which Boston sports legend?

A: Former Boston Celtics coach Red Auerbach
  • Options
    Here's one for you: How many decades did it take the Red Sox to finally win a WS despite being in the Top 5 in player payroll during most of those years? Bonus: How many of their players were on 'roids when they bought their 1st championship? image
  • Options

<< <i>Here's one for you: How many decades did it take the Red Sox to finally win a WS despite being in the Top 5 in player payroll during most of those years? Bonus: How many of their players were on 'roids when they bought their 1st championship? image >>

Pretty typical degenerate New Yorker. Alright son lets crunch some numbers real fast...

2001 $112,287,143
    2002 $125,928,583
    2003 $152,749,814
    2004 $184,193,950
    2005 $208,306,817
    2006 $194,663,079
    2007 $189,639,045
    2008 $209,081,577
    2009 $201,449,189

New septic tank located at: East 161st Street & River Avenue Bronx, New York $1,500,000,000

Total: $3,078,299,197

Alex Rodriguez
    Roger Clemens
    Andy Pettitte
    Jason Giambi
    Gary Sheffield
    Chuck Knoblauch
    Mike Stanton
    David Justice
    Denny Neagle
    Jason Grimsley
    Matt Lawton
    Daniel McCutchen
    Sergio Mitre

(I could go on since the Yankees are in fact the team with the most confirmed steroid users in baseball but for the sake of this argument I won't)

All that for 1 Championship...

So Dr. Lou, go crawl back into your hole and don't come out until you're ready to be shamed again!

YANKEES = FAIL
  • Options
    Mar 9:

The Red Sox wore pullover-style jerseys from 1972 through 1978, returning to button downs in 1979.

• Options
    Mar 10,

Q: Who hit the most home runs for the Red Sox in the 1990's?

A: Mo Vaughn with 230
  • Options
    Mar 11,

In 1973, Mario Guerrero became the first player born in the Dominican Republic to play for the Red Sox.

• Options
    Mar 12:

Q: On December 14, 1977 the Texas Rangers traded John Poloni and cash to the Red Sox for which future HOF pitcher?

A: Fergie Jenkins
  • Options
    Mar 13/14:

Boston Red Sox great Ted Williams is the only American League player to twice capture the Triple Crown, doing so in 1942 and 1947.

1942: 36 137 .356
    1947: 32 114 .343
  • Options
    Mar 15:

Q: Which Red Sox pitcher surrendered a hit to Joe DiMaggio on July 2, 1941, to push the "Yankee Clipper's" hitting streak to 45 straight games, eclipsing the previous record of 44 held by Willie Keeler?

A: Dick Newsome (For the life of me I couldn't find a pic of Dick Newsome. So I opted instead for a pic of DiMaggio and Teddy Ballgame)
  • Options
    Mar 16:

In the second game of a doubleheader played on September 30, 1962, Red Sox first baseman Don Gile ended the season in style, hitting a two-run homer in the bottom of the ninth to give Boston a 3-1 victory over Washington. It was also the last at-bat of Gile's Major League career.

• Options
    Mar 17:

Someone already added this one to page 1 I think.

Q: In what year did the Red Sox first play at Fenway Park?

A: 1912
  • Options
    Mar 18:

In 1943, Boston's Joe Cronin set an American League record by clouting 5 pinch-hit home runs in one season.